Need help understanding your bill?
IAmDaniel's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, December 12th, 2015 6:25 AM

USPS Lost NEXT Return Packages

I upgraded 2 iPhones at Apple Store on 10-17-2015
They were on the Next plan and so I was required to return them to AT&T.

At the time of purchase (Of the new phones at the Apple Store) I received 2 prepaid USPS shipping labels and was instructed to return the old phones via mail.

I received 2 text messages from AT&T in mid November stating that AT&T has not received the returned phone and I would be charged $299.60 for each of the 2 phones.

On 11/17/2015 I contacted AT&T to determine how to resolve the issue of the non-delivered returns. The Customer Service (CS) Rep confirmed that AT&T had not received the returned phones and acknowledged that the two tracking numbers showed the packages were in transit. The CS Rep the informed me that I would need to wait until the two charges of $299.60 show up on the next bill, then dispute them. The CS Rep indicated that she would annotate my account so that the next CS Rep I speak with would have all of the background information when I call back after December 4, the date my next bill would be issued.

On 12/2/2015 I received two charges on my account for $299.60 for non-returned phones.

On December 11, I contacted AT&T to request my account be credited for $299.60 for each of the two returned phones that AT&T indicates were not received. The CS rep asked for USPS tracking numbers that I previously provided AT&T on 11/17/2015. The CS Rep then advised that I would need to work with USPS in locating the two missing packages. I explained that I had already contacted my local USPS facility in and they (USPS) were not successful in locating the packages. The AT&T CS Rep then advised that I would need to contact USPS again and get them to provide a written acknowledgement that the packages were lost.

I explained to the AT&T CS Rep that it's not my responsibility to deal directly with USPS since I am the third party.

I then asked to speak with a manager within AT&T Customer Service. I explained the situation to the manager. He stated that I would need to ask USPS to email me a confirmation that the packages were lost by USPS. I explained to the AT&T manager that since I am the third party, my only responsibility is to ensure that the phone return packages are dropped off and accepted by USPS, and that it should be AT&Ts responsibility to follow up directly with their postal carrier that they contracted. I explained that if I was responsible for purchasing the return postage I would have used a different parcel service and insured the packages.

The AT&T Manager was unwilling to take a customer-friendly position and instead insisted that I, the Customer, spend the time dealing with AT&T's supplier (USPS/Newgistics). I have no leverage with USPS or Newgistics; I anticipate it will be difficult to get cooperation. Also I am traveling through the end of the month so it will be very difficult to find the time to deal with this.

Has it been this difficult for anyone else, or easier?  Has anyone had a similar situation with a positive outcome?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

I totally agree.  If they would stop using the USPS and use a reliable service, this might stop.

I think you have sufficient information to make it ATTs problem.  

Contact the better business bureau and file a complaint.

The problem is not USPS its newgistics the company ATT pays to handle there returned phones.

Here is there tracking site. 

http://tracking.newgistics.com/

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

I totally agree.  If they would stop using the USPS and use a reliable service, this might stop.

I think you have sufficient information to make it ATTs problem.  

Contact the better business bureau and file a complaint.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

What I don't get is that U-Verse uses UPS to return equipment. I've returned at least three defective pieces (2 gateways, 1 DVR). It is a simple matter to take it to any UPS store and they do the packaging and you walk out the door with a receipt, with tracking number that actually works.

Why isn't the wireless division doing the same? @ATTMobilityCare care to comment? This is a continual problem.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Same thing happened to me!!!

Even if you contacted USPS, they'll tell you that they don't do emails, so there is no way you can get a written confirmation that they lost your phone. I tried.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

If you have the tracking number computer confirmation that the phone was checked in, but somewhere it is no longer traceable that will have to suffice.   

When there is proof the customer has done their part, ATT has got to issue the credit.  It is in these cases the BBB does help.   They will not help if the customer is in the wrong.

Personally, I'm done with the USPS, at least until January. 

I had 2 eBay shipments recently.  Both took a long time, and the smaller package never got to me.   The USPS apparently destroyed it in shipping.  They returned the shipping label and part of the box to the sender.  This happens often.  Perhaps it is USPS policy when returning to sender, not to bother with the whole box.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

That form is for filing an insurance claim. These are not insured packages. They are smart label return parcels pre-paid by AT&T.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

AT&T is making me contact a third party, the inept USPS, to file a claim.  I honestly do not have hours of free time to spend on hold with the USPS to sort this out. I have a job.  I've never dealt with such poor customer service as I have with AT&T.   I just do not see where it is my responsibility to deal with AT&T's postal carrier. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Tutor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This is pretty similar to what I am going through right now. 

I upgraded my phone and my wifes phone at the same time, both were already on the NEXT plan, so I put the old phones in the boxes that my new phones just came in, and put the packing slip that AT&T provided on the box. I dropped both boxes off at the nearest USPS and thought I was done with it. But nope! A few weeks or a month later I got a text from AT&T saying that they had not received one of the phones. I called USPS, they told me that they passed the phone on to Newgistics and that they have no idea where it went after that. I called AT&T and told them what USPS said, and at&t said to just wait until my next bill and that the fee would be removed. So I waited again. The fee has not been removed, my bill still says I owe them money for the phone. I have called AT&T 5 - 6 times so far and my wife called 2-3 times. Each and every time we have to explain the entire situation again. They do not take ANY notes into my account and it is very aggrivating. I do not have time to keep calling them and spending an hour on the phone. This was not my fault, I shipped the phone back to them in the manor that they wanted, yet they are trying to charge me for the phone. I am seriously considering leaving AT&T and using a different provider even though I have been with AT&T for over 10 years. Very frustrated and dissapointed in AT&T right now. They seriously need to get their act together.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I feel your pain. It is exactly what my wife and I have been through the past several days in trying to deal with AT&T. After waiting on hold for 45 minutes, I finally got through to USPS via the one 800-number and the rep provided me with a case number. According to the last AT&T customer service representative I spoke with, this is the magic number that they need in order to do an investigation into the missing packages and credit my account. Just a hint, if in when you do call USPS, Press the zero key 15 to 20 times and you will eventually be placed into the queue to hold for an operator.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.