Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
neekbey's profile

8 Messages

Thursday, February 29th, 2024 4:18 AM

Urgent Discussion: Addressing Overcharges & Seeking Accountability in AT&T Service

Dear AT&T Community,

I'm reaching out with a heavy heart and a sense of urgency to share my prolonged struggle with billing discrepancies that have significantly impacted my account and trust in AT&T's customer service. Over the past four years, I've been navigating what appear to be thousands of dollars in overcharges on a plan that originally included 9 lines. The gravity of the situation led me to make the difficult decision to cancel 7 of these lines upon discovering these overcharges.

My attempts to resolve this issue have been met with profound challenges. Despite engaging in over 15 lengthy calls with customer service, not only have I felt a deep sense of disrespect, but I've also faced a bewildering lack of follow-through. Each time, I was left with promises unkept, with no cases opened on my behalf—further confirmed by the absence of any notes or records in my account regarding these issues.

This experience compels me to question the transparency and accountability of our interactions with customer service. It raises critical concerns about how we, as valued customers, are supported and heard.

I am reaching out to this community not just to share my story but to ask for your guidance and collective wisdom. Have any of you experienced similar issues with billing or customer service? How did you navigate these challenges, and what steps can we take together to advocate for greater accountability and transparency from AT&T?

Your insights, stories, and advice are invaluable. By sharing our experiences, perhaps we can foster a constructive dialogue that leads to real change and improvements in how AT&T engages with and supports its customers.

Thank you for listening and for any advice you can offer.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

3 months ago

@neekbey 

Do you mean that for 4 years you've been arguing with AT&T over what you say are overcharges?   Because that seems unusual.

What is usual (when I read a post like yours) is claiming to have been overcharged for 4 years, and the customer has not read their bill during that time. 

The overcharges could/would have been corrected immediately had they been brought to the attention of the service provider immediately.  

Each time a bill is paid without complaint you are asserting that the bill is correct. Autopay and paperless is not an excuse for not reading your bill and not knowing what you're paying for. 

Once those charges have continued for an extensive period of time it's a lot more difficult to claim it has not been correct for a long time, and request it be fixed.

Both AT&T and Verizon give you 180 days to bring problems to their attention in order to get them corrected.   T-Mobile still gives you 60 days. Most banks and credit card companies give you 90 days.

If you have neglected to read your bill for correctness and accuracy for 4 years and are expecting four years worth of credits, Just understand you are not entitled to four years worth of credits.

You have one cell phone bill, AT&T and Verizon and T-Mobile have millions. They do not know what's supposed to be on your bill - only you do.   

ACE - Expert

• 

32.3K Messages

3 months ago

To summarize the situation as I understand it:

Have an ongoing billing issue (that is not described in any way) supposedly going on 4 years. (unclear if recently discovered or been disputing for that long)

Called over 15 times with no resolution.

Claims agents are hanging up.

Decided to cancel 7 of 9 lines.

Views discussion as "urgent".

Wants to share story (elegantly written, but did not include many details) to get insight and advice but not expecting resolution.

If the OP shares the specifics of the situation, then possibly guidance or important information can be provided back. Otherwise the opening "letter" comes off rather dramatic seemingly only looking for sympathy and nothing productive. We do want to help, but need details of the actual situation to do so.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

3 months ago

@Juniper 

Yup.  That's the sum total - of nothing so far

Not that AT&T isn't totally capable of making massive mistakes, or having some sketchy employees. But that does not negate the customer's responsibility

Especially if the situation involves an ever-rising bill over a four-year window of time

8 Messages

3 months ago

@Juniper , to be honest, after reading many customer posts and seeing responses from people like you, it didn’t seem like any customers were finding solutions, just receiving the same advice to go to the BBB. I’m trying to understand your role, and those similar to you, here. I’m using this community forum, as well as LinkedIn and my 250,000 followers on Instagram, etc., to publicly criticize AT&T and engage in conversations with those who have experienced similar situations of horrible customer service, being hung up on, or left on hold indefinitely. I’ve noticed many Reddit posts from people going through the same issues.

To provide a bit more context on what happened to me, so you don’t have to jump to any more conclusions: I have a business account with 9 lines on autopay. At the time, my business was rapidly growing, generating millions of dollars, and I was wearing many hats. My plan was set up so that all my 9 lines were not grouped together, resulting in bills of about $700-900 a month. It was later explained that my bill was based on some old type of plan that was discontinued. By year 4, I moved and was adding internet service. I noticed all these charges on my bill and wondered how they were marketing one price when my bill was so much higher. I called AT&T to resolve this moving forward, and that’s when the error in my plan, where my lines weren’t grouped, was explained. I made a claim (during a 7-hour call) with no resolution. Since then, I’ve been calling, and somehow there are no claims in the system, no notes, nothing. Eventually, because this wouldn’t be fixed, I canceled 7 lines last year. I only had two lines that still weren’t grouped. After calling numerous times, finally, this month, I got my two lines grouped. My two lines were costing me $200, but now it’s at $110, and they gave me a credit of over $400 for the past 3 months due to the incorrect grouping of the two lines. This proves there were mistakes in my account.

My issue is that all the long-winded conversations and claims are not accounted for or noted anywhere. The consistent hang-ups and being put on hold indefinitely are unacceptable. Just yesterday, this happened to me with 4 representatives in a row! At this point, I believe that these supervisors are allowing this to happen because it makes no sense for these representatives to consistently treat customers this way.

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

3 months ago

What you’re claiming was a billing error was in fact NOT a billing error. Plans change all the time and it is up to the consumer to choose what is right for them. Some customers want to share plans and some don’t. You were issued a credit as a gesture of good customer service. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

3 months ago

@neekbey  How many followers you have on Instagram or elsewhere carries no weight here. LOTS of customer don't like AT&T and post about it daily and that has minimal, if any, effect on AT&T's bottom line. There is no question that AT&Ts customer service/support could do better. One could say the same thing about Xfinity, Verizon, etc. We suggest the BBB complaint as a last resort because that usually results in some sort of resolution to the customer, especially if you have the documentation to back up your issue.

8 Messages

3 months ago

@Lockdowncraziness loud and wrong. Ive already been confirmed by multiple agents that I was overcharged and my bill was incorrectly formatted. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

3 months ago

Is there any reason that you are opposed to contacting the BBB?

8 Messages

3 months ago

@skeeterintexas never said i was opposed. I will definitely be contacting the BBB.

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

3 months ago

@neekbey  You’re bill was not formatted incorrectly 😂 As stated previously if you wanted to share a plan that is on you the consumer to make sure you are on the correct plan that suits your needs……immediately, not throughout four years. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.