Need help understanding your bill?
tfox37380's profile

Teacher

• 

59 Messages

Saturday, January 25th, 2020 9:31 PM

Can someone explain the AT&T upgrade procedure?

I guess I don't fully understand the ATT upgrade procedure. In November, I paid $54.21 to ATT to allow me to upgrade before the 24-month period. I then bought a new ATT phone at Bestbuy and sent in my old phone to ATT in the mailer that BestBuy provided. In January, I was billed $158 for non-returned device, although a call to ATT Trade-in confirmed that they had received my device. Then today, I received an email saying ATT would be sending a $125 card for my trade-in.

What I thought was supposed to happen is they would accept my trade-in and we would be even. Where did I go wrong? Doesn't the ATT installment plan say that you can upgrade after 24 payments? Or have they changed the installment plan?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

4 years ago

Your understanding was correct, but the process of returning your phone was not completed correctly.

You paid $54 probably because you upgraded early. But it may have been sales tax on the new phone, not enough information.

You were Billed 158 non-return because you were supposed to return the phone as a part of the next upgrade process. Instead it appears you sent the phone in as a trade in for cash back, so they sent you $125.

Since you took the mailer from Best Buy, I am assuming that Best Buy gave you the wrong mailer. Did you fill out a trade in form? Oops.

Unfortunately it's done.

Teacher

• 

59 Messages

@lizdance40 Thanks for your explanation. I kind of thought BestBuy messed up the process. Can't complain much as I got a $400 rebate on the new phone.

Employee

• 

797 Messages

4 years ago

Hello,

Yes, that is correct on th understanding, but going through a third party can cause communication issues and delays on promotions and device reruns. In his case, Best Buy was the middle man, so it appears the phone was received back, but later recovered in th warehouse, so a gift card was mailed to correct error. Next time you might go to a corporate AT&T store locally to get setup correct and turn in phone directly at point of sale same day.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.