Need help understanding your bill?
ginaneedsanewcarrier's profile

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, May 10th, 2023 5:38 PM

Closed

UPGRADE FEE IS A SCAM

I purchased three new iphones from the Apple store (paid in full), and I see $115 increase on the next month's bill.  I called ATT only to find out that the upgrade fee for each phone was placed on my auto-paid bill.  I asked what the upgrade fee is for since we had no notice or way to consent or acknowledge that this fee existed, and all the employees I spoke to reply with that it is a "valid" fee.  I spoke to four different employees and heard three different reasons as to what the fee is for - a SIM card that we no longer see, software to support our new iPhones,  one was since I've been a customer for so long, I should just know, and the last employee was on the web chat and said since I no longer had any questions, he needed to move on and disconnected.

I asked the phone representative how can I escalate my inquiries since I don't see any language on the website as to where I can find more information about the upgrade fee and there are no ways to submit complaints other than through the trained employees.  One employee directed me to the website so I could contest a fee, so I tried to ask the chat option, but he could no longer help me and had to disconnect.

This isn't the first time that I've run into issues with ATT where there are no answers or way to get answers.  This fee is a complete scam, and I understand why they are trying to incentivize the customers to enroll in auto-pay because then the customer can just blindly pay for fees that they are unaware of and have no formal way to contest or prevent from incurring these fees.  Is there a (Edited per community guidelines) against ATT yet for their scams?  ATT has a knack of making customers feel like they are just a voiceless cog in a big coporate machine.  

Accepted Solution

3 Messages

9 months ago

It seems that you are an ATT employee; it's simple If I ask about what other costs will be to upgrade the phone (with or without a chip), the ATT salesperson must be able to communicate clearly and neatly with a direct response. They know about all the potential charges; if that doesn't happen, we have two potential scenarios:

1. The salesperson hid the information to complete the order and make their commission; from that point, the customer needs to invest their time fighting with customer services. It is the same as the Next plan and the insurance we declined,  but it was billed. 

2. ATT is not providing that level of detail to their sales associates (something that I can't believe) and push the charge and estimate that just a few % of the customer have complaints about the un-notified charges.  

Either way, the customer has all the rights and benefits to receive a clear response to their question.  In our case, we asked directly, and the response was direct, "NO any additional Charges or Fee: of any kind.....and in the end was not true. Period. = SCAM

ACE - New Member

• 

637 Messages

11 months ago

It's not a scam just because you don't like it. Apple Rep should have told you about it, take it up with them. It is a fee that all the major carriers charge when you change equipment or purchase a new phone, even T-MO started.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 months ago

Had you bought the sim free unlocked version, there would have been no upgrade fee.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

11 months ago

Yeah, I've never had an upgrade fee, ever, when we've purchased our SIM-less iPhones from the Apple Store paid in full at time of purchase.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

11 months ago

I asked what the upgrade fee is for

It's for upgrading. Period. That's how much AT&T has decided to charge customers when they upgrade a device.

3 Messages

9 months ago

It's a Scam; we received the Upgrade Fee for an iPhone that doesn't need a chip.  Upgrade fee that was never notified by teh sale guy, even when we asked several times for any additional Fee. Long story short, it's a scam from Att, or the sales guy knew it and lied to us (to get a better commission), or it was Att's SCAM system.

We called and at least received a $20 credit plus taxes (Sale tax and County Surtax); also Att activated without authorization AT&T Next Up(SM) $6.00 + Monthly Taxes and Protect Advantage for 1 (includes insurance) -$2.83 + + Monthly Taxes.  I also received the credit, including all related taxes. 

Next Time I'll request the "No additional fee" confirmation from the sales department in writing. 

3 Messages

9 months ago

It's a Scam; we received the Upgrade Fee for an iPhone that doesn't need a chip in the first invoice after the upgrade.  

Upgrade fee that was never notified by the sale guy, even when we asked several times for any additional Fee. Long story short, it's a scam from Att, or the sales guy knew it and lied to us (to get a better commission), or it was Att's SCAM system.

We called and at least received a $20 credit plus taxes (Sale tax and County Surtax); also, Att (company system or sales guy) activated without authorization AT&T Next Up(SM) $6.00 + Monthly Taxes and Protect Advantage for 1 (includes insurance) -$2.83 + + Monthly Taxes.  I also received the credit, including all related taxes. 

Next Time I'll request the "No additional fee" confirmation from the sales department in writing. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

9 months ago

You don't have to get anything in writing. If you buy a new phone from AT&T, there's an upgrade fee. You should have been told this time, but next time you'll already know so you will be prepared even if they don't directly disclose it.

• 

93 Messages

9 months ago

“Doesn’t need a chip”? I have no idea what that means, but if you are talking about the fact that it uses an eSIM card instead of a physical one, that has nothing to do with billing. The fee is for upgrading and you upgraded.

It is also not true that you had no way of knowing about the fee. AT&T publishes its entire Terms and Conditions online, and anyone can view them at any time.

• 

93 Messages

9 months ago

The written contract overrides anything verbal, and it has been readily available to you at all times.

And LOL, no, I am not an AT&T employee.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.