Help for account, billing & more
thoryash's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Thu, Jun 1, 2017 2:47 AM

unwarranted charged for international calls!

At&t is getting ridiculous day by day.

I had 2 additional lines which I got for my parents during their visit to the United States from India on the advice of the At&t store executive - since apparently that would have been cheaper than gophone accounts. What I did not know was that those lines had international calling enabled by default. Hence I go a shock initially when I found that there were international call charges for $114.17 in the my last bill for those lines (probably my parents had called back someone unwittingly - which I am not very sure of, since I did not have time to check their phone logs at that time, and cannot check now since they went back to India). I called At&t and after more than an hour long call, I was refunded a partial amount with the justification that the partial amount was because those lines needed to be predated for enrollment in the international calling pack. I had also asked that representative to block any further international calls from those two lines, and also cancel them on May 10th, 2017. Imagine my surprise when I find yet further international call charges ($110.55) at rates w/o calling pack for the same two lines in my present bill.

And on calling At&t I was told that nothing could be done since the costs are apparently justified on their side. I cannot even view call logs from my online account - and at the very least, I would have expected that in the off chance that there were further calls (of which there is very little, since I had explicitly asked my parents after that to not make any international calls), at the very least they would be charged at the rates of the international calling pack and not the full rate of around $3.5/min. This means either the previous At&t representative gave me false information and false confirmation/assurance of the changes made to my account, or something is wrong in the system, which they are not ready to admit.

All this after 3 calls of over an hour each (since apparently I have all the time in the world), and after being a loyal customer of At&t for over 7 years! I am appalled!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

5 y ago

Why would you expect AT&T to automatically block international phone calls? They are there to provide you with phone service, not micromanage what you or others on your account do with it. In regards to the charges, there are ways to get around international call blocks. If your carrier catches onto it, they charge you for it. Calling cards, for example, will bypass an international call block, and not all carriers have contracts with all calling card providers, if you've purchased a calling card from a company that does not have a contract with AT&T, you will still be charged.  

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

5 y ago

Im sure you call your folks in India, and do so in a way to avoid a high bill.  Why is it ATTs fault you didn't prepare your parents properly?   

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 y ago

I understand the first charge, and I appreciate At&t for predating the enrollment of the lines in an international calling plan. For all of the preparation and micromanagement that is suggested - how is the second charge justified? Since I was told that the numbers were predated and enrolled in the international calling plan (world connect value) - which I am pretty sure, especially since At&t does not 'micromanage' the plan for me as @Melindablue suggested, is supposed to carry forth automatically once enrolled in (as does every single feature of at&t once enrolled unless specifically asked to stop that), I would expect that the charges would be at the rate of $0.35/min instead of the pay per use charge of $3.52/min. Also, even after asking at&t to block international calls - which IS a valid option as an alternate to preparing users as suggested by @lizdance40 - there were instances where international calls were allowed from that number. Leave aside the fact that those were numbers used by my parents who are not very conversant with technology, the blocking option is used by a lot of family plan (or mobile share plans as of now) owners for children and/or teens to restrict usage and/or prevent unwarranted charges. How would you justify the second charge after I called At&t and specifically asked international calls to be blocked?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

5 y ago

So, hypothetically if your parents were here from February 2017 to April 2017, your bill cycle runs from the 1st-30th of every month, and the aforementioned international calls were made in February and March. The bill you paid in January was for services for February and so on. The bill you receive March 5th has the first usage charge, but you're busy and decide to deal with it later, so you call AT&T on March 15th, the agent adjusts the charge as if you'd had World Connect Value, but does not add it, as you've requested the calls be blocked instead.  More calls have been made from March 1st-15th. The agent does as you request and blocks the calls, but there are 15 days that already had phone calls on them. An international calling feature could have theoretically been backdated, but if you requested that the calls be blocked altogether, that cannot undo the calls that were made since an international call block and an international calling feature are not able to be put on a line together. The charges are justified because those calls were made. Companies have policy limitations on how many courtesies can be extended in certain situations. They expended that courtesy by adjusting the first charge. The person on the other end of the phone probably feels for you, but they are just doing their job. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 y ago

Understood the part for blocking. but I was told that the World Connect Value was being added to those lines - hence I received around $17/18 less than the full refund ($5 cost of the pack per line and then the charges according to $0.35/min). Hence for the calls that fall in the days between the end of the billing cycle and when I contacted and asked At&t to block the international calls should be charged according to the World Connect Value pack, along with the cost of the pack for that month - either full or prorated - in both cases making me eligible for some refund. 

I believe this is perfectly based on how At&t works - if you add any additional service - they continue charging you for it till the day you call and cancel that service - either the full cost till present cycle end, or a fraction of the charges which is almost always more than what would be the proportional cost based on the number of days. Hence I do not think this calls for one of the courtesy cards but just following what their own policies have been. The 'person on the other end of the phone' is definitely doing their job - and getting paid for it - while I am spending 60-90 mins on each call (while the 'person on the other end of the call' keeps on trying to assure me that he/she is the highest authority and nothing can be done about this - refusing to transfer the call to anyone else), NOT doing MY job, trying to save myself money that I shouldn't have been charged in the first place.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

I came to this page searching for the answer to my question. I was charged around $2 for international call on my last bill. But, now I am charged around $230 for the international call which I have never made. I checked my call log but I have only received international call but have never made one. I usually use viber or rebtel to make international call and have been using it for long time. But, I cant understand why I am getting charged for the call I have never made. I am going to call them. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

I was charged $2  international charges on my att accounts. Then I made a request to block international calls on my att account , then they send me a confirmation text for blocking international call feature now again this month they charged $284 . What should I do now?

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

4 y ago

@class254

Stop making international calls, or expect to pay for them.  

Sorry, but sarcasm kind of applies here. 

From what I see on ATT website, outgoing calls can be blocked on digital home phones.  Nothing about cellular. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

People understand what I mentioned. I don't need international call on my
wireless plan , which means I don't need it . First time I paid whatever
charges they charge. These calls are made by my kids without my knowledge.
I don't want any future charges so
I requested to block international outgoing from my wireless network which
they agreed and blocked and send a confirmation text mentioned
international call feature was removed but this month again they charging
$284.Now tell why I need to pay . What is the sarcasm here applied?
I pay Vonage subcribtion for my unlimited international call service.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

4 y ago

@class254 wrote:
People understand what I mentioned. I don't need international call on my
wireless plan , which means I don't need it . First time I paid whatever
charges they charge. These calls are made by my kids without my knowledge.
I don't want any future charges so
I requested to block international outgoing from my wireless network which
they agreed and blocked and send a confirmation text mentioned
international call feature was removed but this month again they charging
$284.Now tell why I need to pay . What is the sarcasm here applied?
I pay Vonage subcribtion for my unlimited international call service.

@class254 Were the calls made? If so, why would you think you don’t have to pay? Now, if those calls were made after the international call block was implemented, you may have a case for not having to pay but you need to get ATT to either issue a credit or remove the charges. Simply not paying is not the way to proceed.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

4 y ago

@sandblaster

I searched the site, and don’t see any information on call blocking international outgoing calls on cell phones.  Does this even exist?

@class254

If the kids don’t know how to use Vonage, they need to be told they cant call long distance numbers.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

4 y ago

@lizdance40 I honestly don’t know. I just assumed that since the poster was told it was blocked, that it was possible. Of course, we both know an agent saying something was done or possible to be done is not a guarantee.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.5K Messages

4 y ago

@sandblaster

my search on the website found directions through my ATT account for digital phones/landlines.  Nothing for cell phones.  

And if calls are blocked, what happens when dialed?   

Pretty obvious I don’t call international numbers ever.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

Thanks understanding. I communicated with att through chatting, talk to
customer service and visited their store and showed the proof of their
text message for blocking further international calls from my wireless
account.
Everyone in customer service accepted and replied they were not
authorized to remove this high charges .
Now they suggested me to sign up with AT&T for international plan to end
this unwanted charges in future. Please suggest me what kind of business
tactics they’re using to exploit customer?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

Just now I dialed for verification purpose , international calls blocked in
my phone.
Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.