Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
jdsutherland21's profile

2 Messages

Thursday, October 5th, 2023 6:15 AM

Unfair billing

My account was never authorized to call internationally. However, as a victim of domestic violence, my young teen was convinced to make over $1800 worth of calls internationally by her father. I called AT&T.  I explained my plight. I asked for the service to be terminated so I can afford to pay this bill. I'm a teacher struggling to pay rent ,take dare of my child etc. After calling 4 times asking why the bill continues to increase,  I can't an answer. Between. June 2023 to October 5 2023 ,my bil is almost $2600. AT&T  I think that is cruel and unfair. I've asked for help to pay.  But instead of me paying the 1800. You continue to bill me for service I no longer use. 

ACE - Expert

• 

32.5K Messages

9 months ago

Ouch, that is quite the situation. I hope you and your daughter are out of that bad environment.

Like any phone company, the account owner is responsible for the charges of all calls made. You might need to seek other avenues to have the father held accountable for coercing her to make those calls.

Cancellation occurs at the end of the cycle, not mid-month. If bill is continuing to increase because of international charges, either calls are still being made while it is active or calls already made were delayed being billed to the account. I would call and see about an option to suspend the line as lost/stolen if international calls aren't able to be blocked.

Alternatively, you can file a BBB complaint. That goes to the corporate level, usually resulting in someone from the "Office of the President" contacting you within a few days. I would certainly do this if the line cannot be shut off in one form or another to prevent additional charges. Not a guarantee they would adjust charges that already happened, but it gives you a chance to discuss the situation with higher and maybe they can do something.

I wish you and your daughter much better days ahead.

2 Messages

9 months ago

Thank you. But ATT  had record of the line not being permitted to make international calls. It was acknowledged when I first received the bill in June 2023. Every other time I've called ATT , I get a new version of the story. I've never told ATT that I would pay the bill but not all if it. Ive called numerous times to deactivate and cancel the account. My last call was in Aug when the bill climbed to 2100 . And every time I call the customer service is closed. 

Att is unkind. And it speaks volumes about their lack of enpathy and flexibility.  The bottom line is to make those already struggling struggle more ... and what's even more crazy is that customers like me what to resolve in a manageable manner.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.