Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
Maryeuh's profile

1 Message

Friday, July 21st, 2023 9:49 PM

Trade in Promo Cancels out Next Up?

I traded in a PRISTINE S20 Ultra for a Pixel 7 Pro about 8 months ago. It hurt a little. My ultra was like new, and STUPID expensive when I bought it, but  I justified it by thinking I was getting $800 for it in trade, and I couldn't have sold it outright for that. The money I was saving in installment payments due to the trade in credit, made me super excited to add Next-Up onto both mine and my husband's lines.  I can have a new phone in half the time! Yay!

Only.... Nope. If I were on the other side of the counter, there is no way I would have let my customer sign up for the Next-Up without explaining that they actually wouldn't be able to use it. I went back today and talked to the same woman that took my trade in and took my money 8 months ago. I asked her about how next up works when you get a phone with a promo like mine. Yes, my Pixel only costs me like three bucks a month. But trading it in on the next up plan cancels my promo, and I would owe the full retail price of the phone if I want to upgrade it earlier than the 36 month installment plan. So the $6 a month for the Next-Up is completely wasted.

I came here to vent about how I feel like I have been stolen from, for one thing. It (Edited per community guidelines) that they bury that in the fine print on purpose.

Secondly I do have a question. I am already planning ahead on what to do if I actually need a phone sooner than three freaking years from now. Can I buy a phone directly from Google, use it on my plan, and as long as the line is active, can I finish out the promotional installments on my existing phone? I am trying to avoid the hour long call with att "customer service" to get this answer, but that will be my next step. TIA! 

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.9K Messages

10 months ago

Another option is to alternate trade-ins with the manufacturer. Both Google and Samsung offer quite generous trade-in offers if you're trading in one of their phones within the first couple of years toward a new unlocked phone. You get a lump sum trade in, and as long as you don't upgrade through AT&T, cancel your service, the credits on your older promotion through AT&T will continue.  

I'm an alternate cycle of doing this with Samsung. I purchased an s23 Plus on promotion through Verizon. When the s23 comes out that phone will get traded in with Samsung directly.  

Some people do the same with Apple. There's no reason you can't do the same with Google.

Next up is not required.  You can cancel that at any time

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

10 months ago

Ugh🤦‍♂️read the fine print 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

10 months ago

I'm not sure what you think is buried in the fine print?  Or the offer details.  I'm not saying you shouldn't read them, you should, but what is the secret you're saying you found there?

Looking at your bill, after the first month of credits it's clear you're getting a credit every month that you make a payment.

Yes, the $6 a month is wasted if you are not going to upgrade. But that sentence isn't written down anywhere, that needs you to think about it. 

Personally, I think the $6 is wasted regardless as new phones don't come out every 18 months, they come out every 12. So you're really paying ⅔ (24 months) of that phone off before you trade it in IF you are a regular upgrader. If your phone breaks halfway through a refresh cycle it can make more sense.  

But with AT&T giving me $800 to $1,000 off on my phones, now I'm pretty much on a 3 year cycle. Pay for my phone, turn it in and get a new phone...

Secondly I do have a question. I am already planning ahead on what to do if I actually need a phone sooner than three freaking years from now. Can I buy a phone directly from Google, use it on my plan, and as long as the line is active, can I finish out the promotional installments on my existing phone? I am trying to avoid the hour long call with att "customer service" to get this answer, but that will be my next step. TIA! 

I know if my iPhone died before my agreement is up, I could buy a new one from Apple (even finance it through Apple) and keep getting my credits. But I can't speak to other brands as AT&T is kinda picky which specific model numbers work with them (unless it's Apple).

I am trying to avoid the hour long call with att "customer service" to get this answer, but that will be my next step. TIA! 

Don't call, a good chunk of this post is your issue with information from humans, you might not get the right answer. Look on the web site and print your answer when you find it (you might not find it again later).  If you can't find it, come here and ask politely for help (without profanity).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.