Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wed, Dec 3, 2014 6:35 PM

Terrible experience trying to upgrade!!!!!

has anyone tried to upgrade lately?  When the rep from AT&T called me last January and offered to reduce my monthly expense with a Mobile Share Plan they did not say how much of an issue it would be to upgrade.  Now my only upgrade options are the "Next" plan which I think is a joke because all you are doing is renting the phone for 12 or 18 months then you have to give it back to AT&T and do it all over again so you are constanly making a cell phone rental payment.  Or I can purchase a phone on a 2 year contract and in turn they will increase my monthly bill by $25 for each line I upgrade.  I have never heard of a carrier doing something like this.  You could always buy a phone and sign a contract and move on.  What a joke this is!!!  I think there will be some cancellations coming when the contracts come due on all my lines.  This is a terrible business practice and Deceptive to say the least being though they do not explain that when they lower your bill.  AT&T is a joke and I do not and will not recommend them to anyone for service!!!!  Go with someone who cares about customer loyalty.

Responses

bizhui

Scholar

• 

457 Messages

6 years ago

The 12 and 18 month is the installment plan. You don't need to give back the phone to att in order to get a new one, but you do need to pay it off in full in order to get another phone. With att next plan, upgrade is never a good option. My assumption is that probably the sales rep that you dealt with, has no clue of what he or she is talking about, or it could be the miscommunication between you two. However, that's how it is with att. You want their service? You gotta pay what they ask you for once you agree to it. If not, break your agreement and pay the ETF, and att probably won't feel the effect from you leaving the company anyway. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

I understand that if you do not want to give the phone back them you can make payments for the full 24 months.  With that given of you are paying $25 a month for the crappy next plan you will make payments totalling $600 for a cell phone.  That is a joke, there are other carriers out there where you can get a phone for the reduced rate and not have a monthly bill increase.  Again I reiterate that AT&T is a joke and it is no point in defending them and their terrible service any longer.

bizhui

Scholar

• 

457 Messages

6 years ago

Oh yea, believe me, I am not defending for att at all(they got nothing in my favor but my hatred). I am kind of just stating some fact just in case you miss that part. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

I totally agree with the hatred part. Whenever I chat with a rep they are all like poor me... and the last guy said he was "Sorry their plans did not fit in my budget" I was outraged, who are they to tell me what my budget is...

bizhui

Scholar

• 

457 Messages

6 years ago

Smiley Very HappyThat's hilarious! Employees looking down at the customers like they own the company. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Yea it made me laugh at the same time as it made me angry!!!

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

6 years ago

@manderson8189 wrote:

has anyone tried to upgrade lately?  When the rep from AT&T called me last January and offered to reduce my monthly expense with a Mobile Share Plan they did not say how much of an issue it would be to upgrade.  Now my only upgrade options are the "Next" plan which I think is a joke because all you are doing is renting the phone for 12 or 18 months then you have to give it back to AT&T and do it all over again so you are constanly making a cell phone rental payment.  Or I can purchase a phone on a 2 year contract and in turn they will increase my monthly bill by $25 for each line I upgrade.  I have never heard of a carrier doing something like this.  You could always buy a phone and sign a contract and move on.  What a joke this is!!!  I think there will be some cancellations coming when the contracts come due on all my lines.  This is a terrible business practice and Deceptive to say the least being though they do not explain that when they lower your bill.  AT&T is a joke and I do not and will not recommend them to anyone for service!!!!  Go with someone who cares about customer loyalty.

With the new mobile share data plans, AT&T no longer subsidizes phones. They lowered the prices and give you a discount for being out of contract. It is your decision whether to get a 2 year contract or purchase using NEXT. Usually on the larger data plans, it is cheaper in the long run to do NEXT, because when you factor in the $25 per month discount loss, plus the cost of the subsidized phone, plus the $40 upgrade fee, you pay way more over the 2 year period.

Things have changed. None of the other major providers are subsidizing phone costs. One way or another, you will pay for the price of the phone, either by paying full price using NEXT  or by paying more per month with the loss of the out of contract discount.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46K Messages

6 years ago

@manderson8189 wrote:

I understand that if you do not want to give the phone back them you can make payments for the full 24 months.  With that given of you are paying $25 a month for the crappy next plan you will make payments totalling $600 for a cell phone.  

That is simply the full price for the phone and in case you haven't noticed, all of the carriers now have a plan similar to Next. All of the carriers are getting out of the 2 year contract discounted phone business, some carriers don't even offer the option of buying a discounted phone anymore. Sorry to say but you might as well get used to paying $600 for a cell phone because that is the way the entire industry is headed.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Same situation today for me.   How disappointing.  What happened to AT&T great customer service?  I have been with them forever and they have always received exceptional customer service. 

We have a 5 phone family share plan and to get out of contract will cost over $1,500.

Get started...

Ask a new question