For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
juliego's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, July 18th, 2015 10:45 PM

Sucky ATT "policy" = $700 in overcharges

I tried to suspend my ATT iPhone and data service while living abroad but ATTs policy is that customers have to suspend service BEFORE leaving the country, change of service cannot be done from abroad. I was charged over $700 for service I could not suspend. That SUCKS.

I could not post this comment on a mobile device, because the menus for "select forum, board and topic" do not drop down. 

I tried every which way to cancel or suspend my service from Asia. It was impossible. So they continued to ding my debit card and refused to credit me when I returned to USA.

The very nice agent could only tell me that it is ATT's policy to only give credit for a billing error and they didn't consider BEING UNABLE TO SUSPEND SERVICE a billing error. I consider it a $700 error.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

You can suspend service by logging in to your account, managing your plan, suspend a line.
A line can be suspended for up to 180 days in a calendar year. You must request suspension without billing if you don't want to pay while away.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

"You can suspend service by logging in to your account, managing your plan, suspend a line."

Yes, if you are in the country. However from Asia I could not log into my account either on my computer or my iPhone. Logging in required receiving an SMS verification, which I could not receive.

I tried. I sent emails, I tried calling on SKYPE, but I could not get to a person or menu which allowed me to suspend service.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

I've never had to receive a text message to log in to my account.  Even if I did, paying the $1 or whatever amount it is to receive a text while roaming would be cheaper than the $700 the original poster claimed they are being charged for using their phone while over seas.  I guess I'm just a little strange in that I'm willing to spend a little money to save a lot of money.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Jerry, I was in SE Asia and COULD NOT receive a text message from ATT. I tried many times. 

(My mother drowned the dumb ones.)

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

I am assuming the charges were data overage. For the remainder of the trip, put your phone in airplane mode, and turn wifi on when available, or turn the phone off. Had you suspended service, it would do little more than take pictures and access wifi like an iPod touch.

And yes, in the future plan ahead. You pack, make airline and hotel reservations, stop mail, tell family and friends you will be away, other bills had to auto paid as well, so why would you not prepare your phone and phone bill?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

"I am assuming the charges were data overage."

You assume wrong. The charges were my normal monthly service, which for a combination of reasons could not be suspended from abroad when a family situation required me to be overseas for months. I was in a place where I could neither receive an SMS or email at the email address on file with ATT (AOL is blocked in many countries in Asia) and thus was unable to make changes to my account or to get through to ATT customer service.

I did not make a single call and my cell data plan was off the entire time. 

I am getting some assistance from ATT social media department and hope to have good news to report.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Happy to report that I finally got through to a smart fair agent via ATT wireless forum who took ownership of the problem and did a full investigation. I sent screen shots taken when I was blocked and of my numerous attempts to contact ATT to suspend my service. He credited me for about 80% of the overcharges. I am satisfied with the help I received. Thank you Forum.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.