AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Thu, Sep 18, 2014 4:40 PM

Some partial resolution on the Mobile Share Plan fiasco

I posted my 2 cents about this whole bait and switch on the Mobile Share plan and feel it my duty to give AT&T a LITTLE credit for addressing my issues.  I called customer service this morning and got the standard non-answer answer everyone else is getting about "well, try the NEXT plan" or "Buy your phone outright."  I refused to take that and asked for a supervisor.  After waiting several minutes, I got through to one.  She went through my bill line by line and compared it to my previous bills under my old plan.  On my old plan, I had 1400 shared minutes,  unlimited texting, unlimited data on two lines and 3 gb on a 3rd line.  With my new 15 gb Mobile Share plan, I actually still come out paying $10 less a month for now.  I no longer have my unlimited data and no longer have the huge savings but at least I'm not getting reamed.  I made it a point to mention NO WHERE was it EVER STATED when I changed to Mobile Share over the phone that I would lose all this savings if I upgraded.  The lady apologized and pointed out to me that today was actually 90 days from the day I switched plans and the VERY LAST DAY I could request to be moved back.  I declined in light of having the charges explaned properly. She also gave me an $80 credit for my trouble.  Of course, how much more will I be paying when I upgrade another line in the future???

Responses

Zacharyw70

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

6 years ago

Wait why wouldn't you switch or ask her how much you'll pay for future upgrades? The fact is any other line you upgrade on that plan with a regular 2 year subsidized contract will be given a $25 increase in its bill.

How the mobile share plans work is they start off costing $40 per smartphone and then depending on if you have 10GB or more of data or 9GB or less you get a per phone discount of $25/$15 for that line if it currrently isn't in contract or if you upgrade the phone through AT&T NEXT.

This means that assuming you upgrade on a regular 2 year subsidized basis each phone like will cost $25/$15 more (Depending on what mobile share data plan you have) which really adds up fast.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Yep, you're right...  Guess I should get back on the phone...

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Got back on the phone and submitted a case.  They said I should hear back in 2-5 business days.  The person I spoke w/ this time just didn't understand why I wanted to switch back.  54 minutes on the phone this time plus 1 hr 2 minutes earlier today.  Plus another hour last week when I originally called to ask about this weird email about losing my discount that the person I spoke with then said sounded like it was just a glitch...

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

I too got surprised today with the loss of the $25/line discount with a new contract.  I only got rid of my grandfathered unlimited data in July.  I'm still able to go back to that plan?  With that plan I would then get the subsidized iPhone 6 pricing without the monthly service fee increasing?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

6 years ago

Guys I just figured out that it was still less expensive for me to upgrade on a two year contract then to purchase the phone on AT&T Next.....scenario it is going to cost me $47 something a month for 20 months for the iPhone 6+ 128GB. Whereas losing the upgrading on a two year contract is just losing the "$25" discount on the mobile share plan. So in essence $25 is cheaper then $47 a month. Problem is my phone hasn't arrived and according to the agent I just had an onle chat with the only option I have is return my phone to the store and order a later time once my upgrade option has been reactivated. However since we can share upgrades now why can't I just use another line and upgrade? Thoughts please

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

If you do the 2 year contract you have to pay the reduced phone price upfront. If you subtract that from the higher 'NEXT' plan price it's the 'NEXT' plan that is less expensive over 2 years.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

I was just told on the phone that if I take the new phone into an AT&T store they can do the paperwork to change my subsidized purchase where I lose the value plan discount to the Next plan. He put me on hold to confirm. I hope he is correct.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Here are a few things that I have concluded having read many comments from angry customers, unappolgetic ATT employees and ATT appologists (most likely employees in disguise).

ATT came up with the Shared data plan as a way to make more money for themselves while keeping as many customers decieved (and seemingly happy) for as long as they could continue to gouge them.

Whatever way you look at it ATT is making money on the phone and making money on the service.  You can bet that ATT has a deal with Apple to pay less than full price for the phones.  And whether you choose the NEXT program or buy your phone up front or go with the so called ATT subsidized two year contract deal you, the customer, are paying more than full price for the phone in the long run.

In the end ATT is making money hand over fist because we have very little real competition in this industry in that all the large companies are colluding together to keep the rates high.

The full price for an Apple iPhone is around $800 to $900 dollars.  ATT gets them for probably $400 dollars each and Apple still makes a profit at that. 

As to the Family Shared Data plan it was just another gimmick ATT used to make it seem for a short period of time that the phone bills were actually getting to a reasonable understandable rate.

Now with the new fun iPhone announced the vast majority of customers that thought they had a good deal are now, like me, realizing that a large company just lied to us again and they will be darn sure to be overpaid for a not so good service and make themselves plenty of money at our expense.

The good thing about TMobile is at least they tell it to you straight.  You know up front that you are buying your own phone.

And guess what, if everyone knew up front that they were buying their own phone the eventually Apple will no longer be able to deceive their customers into thinking that it is the phone companies that are subsidizing the cost of the phones as opposed to the customers.

Then maybe Apple will be forced by the market to drop their prices from $900 dollars for a small limited use hand held computer to something more realistic, like in the $400 dollar range, without any talk of subsidies.

In short, we customers need to demand transparency, force Apple and similar companies to charge more reasonable prices for their phones and quit being lied to be greedy phone companies that still love being in the position of a monopoly or an oligarchy or whatever game of deception it is they are playing under.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Yes.  They will give you the run around but ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them you want to submit a case to get your unlimited data back.  You have exactly 90 days from the time you switched plans.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

The customer service rep I spoke with said they had been getting barrraged by angry customers that got blindsided by the Mobile Share plan's details.  

The problem is, AT&T says they can't afford to keep subsidizing phones.  So they came out with NEXT as a way to get people to pay out their phones at full price more painlessly.  The rep I spoke with pointed out even if you go for a NEXT 20 plan you can trade it in and upgrade after 12 months.  The thing is, you end up paying pretty much the subsidized price over 1 years time anyway and then you turn around and do it all over?  See, they tried to spin it as "hey, get a new phone every year if you want!"  They just can't admit the whole point of these new plans is really "Hey, we don't want to sell you cheap phones anymore!"     

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/28/att-next-growing/

Voyager

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

The exact same thing happened to me.  I have always upgraded Iphones every two years with my eligible discount without problems.  I ordered the iphone 6 plus online on launch night and received verification.  When I checked my online bill the other day I saw that my plan went up $25. I called to find out why and the rep said since I recently switched to the family plan I was subject to the new plan that increases my bill when I order the new phone.   Needless to say I am not happy.  To me this is either false advertising, or a bait and switch tactic.  I am being "told" that I'm getting a special upgrade discount when in fact I will end up paying MORE than full retail price of the phone over the length of the contract.  Total crock!

[Inappropriate content removed]

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I actually had a positive experience with changing my plan to shared. My bill was around $255 a month and now with 4 smart phones and 10GB shared data my new bill is $155.  I actually had a conversation online and asked about the whole upgrade procedure before I made the switch.  Seeing the upgrade with new contract prices rise with the new iPhone unlike how they used to be around $100 or so, I opted to do the next installment plan.  While I am paying a montlhy fee for the purchsae of the phone, over the long run that cost will stop.  You can also prepay once you start the installments with no penalty.  If I did the contract upgrade, that $25 goes on forever and the phone isn't even discounted as much as they used to be.  The lesser of 2 evils I believe!

fb88

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

6 years ago

More like less than $75 off.    Apple has the bargaining power, not AT&T.

"The full price for an Apple iPhone is around $800 to $900 dollars.  ATT gets them for probably $400 dollars each and Apple still makes a profit at that."

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Forgot to update this.  I DID get my "case" approved, to use their terminology, and was put back on my original family plan w/ unlimited data for two lines. 

Get started...

Ask a new question