For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Nothappywaytnt's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, September 23rd, 2016 5:43 PM

Since when do you get charged for an Upgrade you were entitled to?

I've been an AT&T Wireless Customer since 1998 and I have NEVER been charged a fee to upgrade my phone when I was entitled to upgrade.  I was grandfathered the $40 a month unlimited data plan until I upgraded to the Iphone 6S on the "New" plan, which is supposed to be $25 a month plus the monthly fee to "purchase" the phone.  Now my bill says I am being charged the $40 a month, plus the $25 a month, plus the monthly fee, plus a $20 upgrade fee?  Is this how you treat your Customers AT&T?  I posted this here because your CHAT is so busy, most likely with other upset customers.  So my bill will not get paid until AT&T credits my account property.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

The upgrade fee has been around as long as I've been a customer (since 2000). However, in the past it was very common for the upgrade fee to be waived, now they don't. The Next plans originally started with no upgrade fee but they added upgrade fees to Next plans last year, I think. I understand being upset but not paying your bill isn't likely to work for you. Also, this is a customer forum, not customer support. Though I doubt you will get the upgrade fee waived, posting here definitely won't get it. You need to contact customer support. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

Same here.  I've paid upgrade fees on each phone for as long as I can remember (1995) 

Not paying your bill  = suspended service.

Not paying is likely not an option when these and other fees are written into our terms of service.  All carriers charge activation and upgrade fees and are less likely to waive them in the past 2 years.  

Unless you have a FAN discount that includes waived fees, you should expect to pay them.  

As for your bill, it is ala'carte.  

1.  You pay a line fee.  All phones, tablets and wearables have a number for access.  

2.  And a shareable data plan, which can be as large or small as available or you want to pay.

3.  Phone installments if paying for a phone (you do NOT have to buy from ATT.  You have other options for less money.

4.  Uncle Sams tax and fees.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Nothappywaytnt wrote:

I've been an AT&T Wireless Customer since 1998 and I have NEVER been charged a fee to upgrade my phone when I was entitled to upgrade.  I was grandfathered the $40 a month unlimited data plan until I upgraded to the Iphone 6S on the "New" plan, which is supposed to be $25 a month plus the monthly fee to "purchase" the phone.  Now my bill says I am being charged the $40 a month, plus the $25 a month, plus the monthly fee, plus a $20 upgrade fee?  Is this how you treat your Customers AT&T?  I posted this here because your CHAT is so busy, most likely with other upset customers.  So my bill will not get paid until AT&T credits my account property.

Posting on the community forum becuase the chat is busy, is not going to get you much assistance. Try giving them a call and be super nice, attitude gets you ZERO refunds/credits.

This is an activtation fee and has been there for ages, perhaps you were on a FAN discount that waived that fee?

So you moved to a new Mobile Share plan?  MS Value or MS Advantage?

Sorry, it's a little confusing what plan you actually have now ($40 unlimited?)?

Did you move to the plan that requires you have Direct TV?

Sometime doesn't add up with your numbers.   Are you sure that second $25 isn't a credit?  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.