For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Keisenburg's profile

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, April 16th, 2023 6:14 PM

Shady Practices

I switched to AT&T and used a promo offer for the Galaxy S22. I was quoted a bill of about $65/month. I sent my trade-in back to them. And bill after bill, my trade in credits were never applied. My bill is now $93/month. That is a hefty bill for a cell phone. I've reached out about it once before, and they said it takes a few billing cycles for it to kick in. It's been almost 5 months. It still has not kicked in. It even says on the Trade in Status screen "Trade Completed and Payment Sent/Promotion Applied"   Finally today I inquire AGAIN as to why my trade in credit has not been applied on my bill. After waiting and waiting and waiting, the service agent finally tells me that my Trade-In was not eligible and I received $0 trade in credit. It took 5 MONTHS to tell me that, and now I'm stuck with a $93/month phone bill. If I would have known this from the start, I would have never switched to AT&T. They wait until you activate a plan, put all of your info in for your trade in, and never even tell you that it's not eligible. That is definitely a SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICE.

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

I've filed complaints with both the Better Business Bureau and FCC.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

1 year ago

You didn’t need both complaints, one was sufficient. Someone from corporate will contact you. So what model phone did you trade in? Was it under the “any Samsung, any condition” promotion? Was it in working condition? The $0 credit suggests it wasn’t. Did they give you a reason the trade in was not eligible? Just FYI, the trade in promotion terms and conditions lists what phones are eligible, did you ever check that?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

1 year ago

$65 a month sounds very unlikely.

In order to be eligible for any of the phone promotions you have to be on a plan that has a base price starting at $75 for one line. The starter plan does have such a base price, auto pay and paperless billing knocks it down to $65 before taxes. So anyone who quotes you anything under 70 bucks a month for service only is probably quoting the unlimited value plus plan which has a base price of $60 and is not eligible for promotions

AT&T is phone promotion gives a list of phones which are eligible it's all published online. You could have looked at the list of phones that was eligible before making your purchase.

If you sent in a phone that was not eligible, AT&T doesn't know anything about it. They never had your phone. Phones go to Hyla mobile in Tennessee which is a third party mobile recycler. They take phones from all of the service providers and some of the manufacturers as well.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

1 year ago

@formerlyknownas Or whoever provided the quote only quoted the plan price without taxes and fees. One would think if the problem was an ineligible plan, support would have said that, not that the trade in wasn’t eligible.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

1 year ago

And I covered both.

Unfortunately the original poster did not say what plan they were on or what phone they traded in, or even what phone they purchased. Situation normal

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

@formerlyknownas @sandblaster My trade-in phone was an eligible phone on the list. It was in great condition, as I had a phone case and screen protector on the whole time I've had it.  I took the offer for the Unlimited Starter Plan which is $65/month, but I am being charged installments on my new phone which jack up the bill to about $93/month, even with auto pay on. The service agent I spoke to the first time said they had received my trade-in, and it will take up to 3 payment cycles for the promotion credit to activate, and not to worry. I waited another 2 months, inquired again of no promotion being applied, and was told my phone was not eligible and that I was given $0 credit.  The promo was a free Galaxy S22 with an eligible trade in. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

1 year ago

Your best chance for resolution is to escalate to corporate by filing an FCC or BBB complaint. The complaint will result in someone from corporate contacting you. They are often able to resolve these trade in credit issues.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.