iyertp's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Aug 11, 2014 5:33 PM

Service & Billing Issues

I had been a happy AT&T customer for over 9 years until it started to fall apart 1.5 years ago when I switch to iPhone 5. I started to experience missed calls, dropped connection, messaging issues. At least 3 visits to AT&T store and 2 visits to Apple didn't resolve the issues. I had no choice but to switch the carrier. 

AT&T slapped me with ETF. I understand I signed an agreement but my understanding is that the agreement is 2-way and AT&T didn't live up to its side of it. I called customer service and every time got a different answer. First time, one of the reps told me its waived and I just need to pay up the last bill (minus ETF). The second rep told me that the first rep essentially lied to me and there was no records of any waiver. He told me someone will get back to me which never happened. The third call didn't result in any fruitful results. 

Prior to this incidence, I never had any issues with coverage or customer service. I am contemplating going to the state attorney general to pursue further course of action. The last provider (of another service) relented their fee after attorney general's office intervened. 

I am willing to give AT&T an opportunity through this to see if I can find an amicable solution without having to go through long-drawn process.

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8年前

From what I read in your post, the problem you have is not with AT&T but with the Apple iPhone. You said you had no issues with your AT&T service until you switched to an iPhone. Apple provides all support for iPhones, so AT&T seems to have handled that properly by sending you to Apple for support. Since Apple appears not to have resolved this for you, how is it AT&T's fault? Has Apple replaced your iPhone for you? If your phone is less than 1 year old (or less than 2 years old if you purchased additional AppleCare coverage for it) then Apple should repair or replace your phone for free.

Former Employee

• 

107 Messages

8年前

The contract is us saying AT&T will give you a subsidised price on your phone, if you agree to keep a plan with them for 2 years. There is not a gaurentee of reception because that is impossible to gaurentee, depending the geography, concentration of customers in an area, and the construction of the location in which you are using the phone. It can also be impacted by the device itself. Because you did not keep your services for 2 years, AT&T charged you a prorated portion of the subsidized device cost discount.

ATTDmitriyCM

Community Manager

• 

10.1K Messages

8年前

Hello iyertp,

I'm sorry you had some issues with your service and the phone and had to switch to another carrier. As the poster above me explained, ETF is charged to recoup the cost of the phone that AT&T subsidized. A good and popular option is to sell your phone to cover the ETF, I'd look into that.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8年前

Thanks for all your responses. I wasn't explicit that Apple did replace my phone and AT&T replaced the SIM once. I should also mention that I had been an AT&T customer for 10 years and until 1.5 years ago, I was fairly happy with them. 

It's amusing to note that all 3 reponders think that I should pay up and shut up. So in essence we are saying that its a one way contract. You pay for services you are not happy with because you signed a contract. And if you don't like paying the fee that you pay the termination fee and move on. 

How would you all feel if you pay for an all-inclusive resort but they tell you that they are out of your choices? In this case, it has been a poor customer management in my view. I do know a lot about customer management since I deal with it on a regular basis. I was appalled at the way this was handled all throughout. BTW, the issue here is not just about ETF. I believe there is much more to it for AT&T then just recouping the money.

Anyway, I did hear back from someone from AT&T and hoping to get this resolved amicably. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.