Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Sep 16, 2019 10:14 AM

Sales Tax

I purchased a new phone via the AT&T Next program and had it shipped directly to me(not store pickup) and I was charged a $60 sales tax. I live in a state that doesn't have a sales tax(Alaska). I'm assuming they calculate sales tax based on the billing/shipping address, which in my case are the same. Why would I be charged a sales tax in the first place? And how would I go about getting that amount refunded? 

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.6K Messages

6 months ago

Call AT&T.   611 from your phone.  You are correct you should not have been charged any sales tax on your purchase 

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

6 months ago

@Austino1452 wrote:

I purchased a new phone via the AT&T Next program and had it shipped directly to me(not store pickup) and I was charged a $60 sales tax. I live in a state that doesn't have a sales tax(Alaska). I'm assuming they calculate sales tax based on the billing/shipping address, which in my case are the same. Why would I be charged a sales tax in the first place? And how would I go about getting that amount refunded? 

That is strange. Do you have a local/municipal sales tax?

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 months ago

@MicCheck I do not. 

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

6 months ago

@Austino1452 wrote:

@MicCheck I do not. 

Strange. File a BBB complaint. Sales tax rules are something that needs to be escalated, not only to get you fixed, but to make sure the system is set up correctly for other customers. The BBB will forward your issue to the Office of the President, who should be able to get to the bottom of this and issue a credit. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a month ago

I just purchased a Samsung S8 for $200.99 and was charged $50.25 in sales tax. That comes out to 25% sales tax where the rate for where I live is 8.75%. I called support and they could not tell me why I was charged so much.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.1K Messages

you were charged on the tax on full retail. What state do you live in?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.6K Messages

@compconsult

@GLIMMERMAN76 is correct. sales tax must be paid even if your phone is ’free’ with monthly credits.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76 I live in the high tax state California.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.1K Messages

@compconsult You pay full retail tax on discounted cell phones in that state period which is par the course for a greedy state.

(edited)

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…