For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
DaveDad's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, December 27th, 2014 9:54 PM

Sad day for a 12 year old

My 12 year old son wanted and iPhone 5s.

What a great opportunity for a life lesson!

I told him he has to do a job and earn the money to pay for the phone and it's monthly costs.

He agreed and was proud of his work and looked forward to owning his very first iPhone, worked and paid with his own money.

Just before Xmas 2014, he had saved enough and proudly completed his first real purchase of anything, really... his own iPhone 5c at the AT&T store in Studio City, California.

He was told by his salesman, named Justice, that his monthly fee would be $53.00 per month, TOTAL.  When told about the insurance option, he very smartly included it. The salesman said he would have to pay the following:

$25 for the line.

$22 for the phone.

$ 6 for the insurance.

$53 TOTAL.

Sadly the bill has arrived and it says my son's monthly fee is $59.99.

My son has to pay $6.99 more per month than he was sold by the salesman, Justice, who, also incorrectly told him the insurance was only $6.00, not $6.99. (See image below of Justice's worksheet presented to my son)

To you and I, that's a burger and fries, but to a 12 year old, that's a lot of money, his hard earned money.

I personally went back to that AT&T store, told the manager, Nicole, the issue, and she acknowledged that the employee made a mistake and her response was to offer a few months credit of $6.99.

Sadly, that credit DOES NOT cover the extra amount my son now has to pay, per month, for the length of his 20 month contract.

So... what's the life lesson? When a company gives you false information, admits the mistake but doesn't cover your loss, then maybe it's time to switch companies. T-mobile has a really nice plan. My 12 year old could have been an AT&T customer for life.

It's a sad day for a 12 year old.

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Mentor

• 

83 Messages

9 years ago

Government taxes and fees are charged by EVERY carrier; they don't have any choice. You can switch to T mobile if you want (make sure you have decent service in your area first), but keep in mind that you'll have the same fees and taxes on top of any contract you enter into with them.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

Aside from the $ .99 for insurance, what was the additional money for?

( not that this has anything to do with the point here, but if you have another phone on mobile share, increasing data to 10 GB plan saves all lines $10 a month. A benefit if you have 4 lines or more.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I know about Govt fees and charges, and you know about them, but when my 12 year old asked the salesman, "How much do I have to pay per month, in total?", the salesman should have shown him the TOTAL amount. 

A 12 year old kid, who doesn't know any better, or any potential customer for that matter, should be shown the TOTAL amount when asked what the TOTAL per month amount is.

Transparency is vital in Company/Customer relations. Sadly, it failed here.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

I assume he had an adult with him? I would have at least hinted at the
missing information to the clerk. My kids are always asking to order
things they research online. I no longer have to remind them of tax and
shipping, but I used to.

--
Liz

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Yes... I was the adult with him, and I should've been more alert.

I was fooled too, by his magic marker explanation, (image in first post), showing the monthly total.

At the end of the day, I really think it's a salesman's job, when asked by an obvious newbie, to explain charges not obvious at time of purchase.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

The picture contained the employee ID number.

Here it is again.

{Edited to comply with Guidelines}

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Here's the Salesman worksheet to my son, edited to satisfy Community guidelines.

AT&T Fail.JPG

1 Attachment

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

Nicole has some 'splainen to do!
It should be brought to her attention.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

It was brought to her attention!

From my original post:

"

I personally went back to that AT&T store, told the manager, Nicole, the issue, and she acknowledged that the employee made a mistake and her response was to offer a few months credit of $6.99

Sadly, that credit DOES NOT cover the extra amount my son now has to pay, $97.86 EXTRA, for the length of his 20 month contract.

You'd think AT&T would want to bend over backwards to keep a NEW customer, potentially for life.

Sad day for a 12 year old.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

for one the rep does not know what taxes will be charged.  The rep should have just add +tax.  Here is IL there are way to many taxes that are different from town to town.  Towns are allowed to tax mobile service my town does not.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.