Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tue, Nov 3, 2015 1:50 AM

returned phone lost in the mail.. very common problem!!!!

So, apparently after googling " att phones not being received back by mail", this is a very common problem!!! I upgraded my phone on Sept. 30th, 2015 at Best Buy and had no problem at all at their store. The rep there told me to factory restore the phone, include the battery, and unlock a particular setting on the phone(which he did for me), and simply put the phone is the prepaid envelope he provided me with and drop it in the mail box at my branch... simply right?? well no.. I got a text on oct. 10th and now nov. 1st stating that my phone still has not been returned and i am about to incure the charge of 191.00 on my next bill. well i call today and give them all this info i just told u all, and of course they think i didnt return my phone because i theres no way to track it and theres no notes in the system. i did what i was told and basically they are telling my they cant see anything so i may be paying the charges cause it looks like i still have my phone. well duh, it looks that way, but why would i not turn in a phone knowing that i am going to get charged for it!!! i ve been a customer for over 10 years,and also have direct tv, and very loyal, and pay my bills!! i am about to cancel everything. if this is a very common problem, whey the heck would they question me and treat me like i never returned it?! i am so unhappy and will be joining everyone else with the fighting to take this off my bill problem!!!!!! after doing more reading, the darn tracking number they keep asking for does nothing!!!!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Responses

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

5 years ago

Hello @britnut19

I’m sorry to hear that the shipping company hasn’t updated the tracking information for your return package.

I would continue to check the tracking number and see if there are any updates posted, if not and the device is not received by AT&T it will be considered not returned and the charge will be applied.

If you have any type of receipt that was provided to you when the device was dropped off, please provide that to AT&T and we can attempt to do some research on that.

Thanks,

Gerald

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

4 Messages

@ATTMobilityCare

I’m having the same issue I contacted numerous times at&t customer service also went to the store because I’m being charged for an iPhone I returned.I sent the receipt of the device with the tracking number that when is tracked is says it’s been delivered.

craigs22

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

5 years ago

Try puting your tracking number in at this site http://tracking.newgistics.com/

AT&T provides theses prepaid shipping labels for the USPS but come to find out they don't do the actual shipping. They send it out to a 3rd party shipper called Newgistics. The problem with that is they do not pick up the packages on a daily basis. They may pick them up once a week or once every two weeks. That's a lot of time wasted. You should be able to track your pacage there. As far as AT&T crediting you account, It could take awhile. Mine took around 45 days and I had to send several compliants for them to take action.   

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I was told the same by AT&T and I provided my pick-up confimration number (that showed USPS picked it up), but basically AT&T said I have to work with the USPS to track a package that is basically not trackable.

I was charged 330.39 for a phone I returned that never made it to AT&T.  Im sure someone from USPS or even receiving at AT&T is enjoying my phone at my expense.  I would love to understand why this happens, but Im sure I will not hear anything from AT&T.  Why would I? They got my money.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

why would att think taking money from people and accusing them of not returning phones is okay? if this 3rd party that picks up the phones is so horrible and doesnt pick up the phones and get them to the warehouse in time to be checked in within the timeframe of someone getting charged, why is this okay? i think issue needs to be put to light and brought to the attention of the local news stations. this is an issue happening to a lot of people!!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

I have the same problem!  I aked ATT if others are having the same issue as I.  They cliam I'm the ist person they've had this issue which I find har to believe.

I received my new phone Oct 8.  I went to post office Oct 9 & was smart enought to get a receipt.

Postal Service holds the pakcage until a private company, contracted by ATT, called "Newgisitics" Picks up the package and take it the rest of the way.  That's how they handle their Parcel Returns.

I went to the "newgistics" web site, entered my tracking number and they show the package delivered to ATT in Ft Worth, TX on OCTOBER 20!!!!

Well, gues what?  Att doesn't show my phone returned even tho it is sitting in their wharehouse.

Meanwhile. my bill is due on the 26th & there's a $339.99 surchage for unreturned phone.  I've been on the phone with ATT more times than I can count & no one can tell me anything.

What's funny about this, is, ATT agent told me soon as postoffice shows tracking info, the charge will fall off.... false.  I had anothe agent tell me today that I can call the Post Order Assistance number... again false.  No such thing according to Tim from Sacramento, ATT supervisor.  I've been in limbo for weeks.  I am a 10+ years ATT & DIRECTV Customer.  I think they are getting to BIG.  No one knows from the other what [word filter avoidance] is going on.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

At is sooooo disorganized!  as long as we have the rexeipt, we shouod be creditied!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Update:

It is now December 1.

My phone was delivered to ATT on Oct 20, 2015 in FT. Worth Texas.

They still do not show my phone as "recevied"

Since I refuse to pay the $339 charge my account is showing overdue for the 1st time in ten years and I am getting harrassed by text & email 2-3 times a day.

ATT agents can see the phone being picked up from Post Office by Newgisitics on Oct 15 but say there's nothing they can do other than excelerate my problem and it can take 2 billing cycles to fix.

Meanwhile, I had to cancel my auto pay and can't set it up again until they "fix" the problem.

Is anyone else having similar issues? 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

I went to ther att store to show my receipts and printed tracking reports from USPS & Newgistics.

I also emailed same to ssivers@acttoday.com.

Still have not been credited.

Phone was delivered to your facility in Texas on Oct 20.

How do I arbitrate?

craigs22

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

5 years ago

I had to jump through a lot hoops to get my issue fixed. AT&T did charge my account $719.99 for a phone I returned and had the tracking info to show it was returned.I did not pay the $719.99 while under dispute. I also had chat transcripts from reps indicating that they showed the phone was returned but AT&T refused to to credit my account. I then file an offical notice of dispute with AT&T, a FCC compliant and a BBB compliant. I sent in my tracking info, chat transcripts and names of people I spoke to on the phone. It took some time to get resolved but it did. The offical ATT goes to their legal deparment, someone from legal has to contact you with 30 days. Same with the FCC and BBB complaint, someone will contact you. I also emailed the AT&T CEO and got a call back from the Executive Team. You can get the return issue resolved but it takes time and persistance. I will provide the links for the compliants. The ATT compliant you have to mail in. I would do that by certified mail. The FCC and BBB complaint you can do online. I would give the CEO email address but they have deleted it on this forum. You will have to do an internet search for that.       

ATT Compliant:

https://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/Wireless/1239368042948.Notice_of_Dispute_Form.pdf

FCC Compliant:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

BBB Compliant:

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am having the same issue now, and I have spent many hours with att and still did not get the cases resolved. I can not believe how common this is and shall I file a complaint too?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

This is happening to us now with TWO phones. Over $800 in charges. Stupidly, I did not take a picture of the prepaid label that AT&T sent. I run my own business and when a customer need to  return something, I send them a prepaid label. That label information is in my shipping program so I can keep track of it. AT&T claims they have no access to the tracking number -FROM THE LABEL THEY GENERATED. We’ve been customers for 10+ years and have always handled our upgrades via mail, and never had a problem. Now they are threatening to cut off our phone service. This is flat out BULLYING and complete disorganization on the part of AT&T. 

Tutor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same thing happening to me. Charged $404 for my IPhone 7 that they claim I never returned. I know I returned it. Gave it right to my carrier who has been delivering packages to my business for 7 years. I asked Att to provide me the tracking info so I can track the package myself. They claim they do not have that info in their system. They don’t keep track of Prepaid RMA shipping labels and they’re a billion dollar company? I was told it was my responsibility to note the tracking number that they gave me.  Never heard of something so absurd. I told him I wanted to cancel my contract. They sent me to the loyalty department who couldn’t care less about my problem. I paid them $1100 to cancel, called Verizon and got a better deal. My new phone will be here tomororw! I run a huge IT rental house with 22 branches across the United States. We specialize in huge trade shows all over the nation. In our inventory we have over 5,000 various generations of IPads that all use AT&T. Guess who’s going to be getting a call tomorrow for my business? This goes way beyond the money. This has to do with the arrogance of the customer service reps knowing their system is flawed and hanging it over your head that it’s your responsibilty  to note down THEIR tracking number. Good Riddance. 

Tutor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I am going through the same situation. Returned my ATT Iphone 7 plus using AT&T provided RMA shipping label on November 9. I have the RMA tracking number and it clearly shows that USPS has received the package. This package has not delivered to AT&T. Noticing that the package was not delivered to AT&T by Nov 22nd, I have given a call to AT&T customer service. 

Nov 22nd call - I was told not to worry and there will not be any charge on my bill even if USPS didnt deliver the phone.

My December bill included $363 for the undelivered phone. I gave AT&T a call on Dec 15th and I was told this is not AT&T responsibility and I will have to pay the amount. I spent 1 hr. on the phone with the rep and she finally asked me to file a lost package complaint with USPS. so I did. On Jan 15th USPS came back saying they are unable to find the package. So I reached back to AT&T on January with the same information and another 2 hrs on the phone where the rep is trying to resolve the issue with her manager and finally a dispute case is opened with AT&T with a case number and I was told this will be resolved by Jan 26th. Alas, surprise!! Nothing happened by Jan 26th and my Feb bill was issued with past due amount and $5 late charge. 🙂 So on Feb 15th I gave AT&T another call and 1 hr this time - the lady told me she has sent this case to her manager Rachel and she will give me a call in 72 hrs to resolve this. It is now past 72 hrs and nothing happened and I never received a call from Rachel. So I will be giving a call again sometime this week. So I will keep you all posted if anyone is facing the same situation which I believe is very common. I am going to file complaints on FCC, BBB and AT&T too (again legal). I have been with AT&T for 13 yrs and now I know what to do but I having so much fun tracking this case by spending hrs with customer reps where they just push the issue further by not resolving it when I call them. SHAME ON YOU AT&T for how you treat your customers. I had a similar issue once with Amazon and they immediately credited the money to account within 24 hrs and on their on tracked and resolved issue with the carrier. That is the difference between a company that cares about customers vs. a company that is arrogant cares about only money. The later will always perish!!!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Ive been an AT&T customer for 20 years. I'm cancelling my service today. This is the second time this has happened to me. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

This problem continues right into 2018. Exact same problem as all of you. Sent iPhone 7plus in using the supplied shipping label the very day I received my iPhone 10. Have been on the phone with AT&T at least once a week since I got my first warning message about “you must return your Black iPhone 7Plus or be charged $444.06 blah blah blah....”. Through the time that it first appeared on my bill, to now having my phone shut off for the 3rd time today. A month ago I spoke with one billing dept supervisor who after a while told me, “This has been and ongoing problem....don’t worry, within a month the charge will disappear from your bill...This is now taken care of, just subtract the difference to pay your next bill. THIS WAS A BIG FAT LIE!.

Many, MANY calls later trying to get this cleared up, today I spoke to an upper management person that called me from a # out of Washington D.C. I spent 15 min re-explaining the whole shpiel to him. Asked what his advice was. “Do I go through with putting this into arbitration? Do I need to get my lawyer involved? Basically told him I’m not bending over and taking this when you literally have hundreds of complaints of the exact same nature. He apologized (of course) and needed to put me on hold to get this cleared up once and for all. I don’t know if I was on hold too long and their phone system defaults to auto transferring a call right back Frankie First Day, but that is exactly what happened. When I tried calling back the upper level management on the line they called me from, they were now closed for the holiday weekend. 

Believe me, I can’t afford to be without my cell either as it’s my only phone, but I’m gonna do whatever is necessary to get them to pay for this. If they wanna go to court, they can pay for my anguish too! 

I’ll update once I manage to get this taken care of. Meantime everyone, ABC & CBS both have #’s you can call to report shady business like this and they will investigate for you. Be shore to give them a call, download the arbitration form to officially file your complaint. And don’t give them money you don’t owe them! They make enough off of us as is, and any of the other carriers would be happy to have our business!