Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Help for account, billing & more
kevman2118's profile
kevman2118
#1 Star!
Helpful 1
10th stratosphere!

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Thu, Oct 6, 2016 1:37 AM

Really Bad Experience

I , through online chat, was told that 2 phones + hotspot + existing phone (free because that would be a 4th line) would come out to about 180.00 with my employee discount etc. When purchasing the phones etc online i couldnt pick the unlimited plan on the hotspot. The agent on the chat told me to pick the 3 gb plan for now and when i pick my purchase up at the store they would change it there. 

Fast forward to the next day at the ATT store. when i get there they tell me that hotspots arent available on the unlimited plan and that what i was told would be 180.00/month would now be 260/month. I indicated I'd take this up with ATT and took the phones and hotspot. The next day i called ATT and opened a case. They indicated it would be resolved 10 days later on Oct 4th. So i call and the case has now been pushed to the 5th. I call the 5th it's now pushed to the 6th. 

I'm now in a dilema that i need to know the outcome of the case (i.e. is ATT going to honor the $180.00) or do i have to cancel my brand new service and go back to sprint. The problem here is now that if they push out the resolution date one more day my 14 day return policy will be up and I'll be subject to ETF's in the amount of about $1k. In addition i will be charged a $45 restocking fee for three devices ($135)and i have no idea if I'll get the $100 in taxes back.

I'm now contacting customer service daily and noone has any information other than telling me im free to cancel and pay the restockign fees. This is not the outcome I'd expected for dealing with ATT especially since i have Uverse and DirecTV. Someone please help quickly. 

David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

6 y مضت

No unlmited data and hotspot. This is very clear in the writing and terms.

kevman2118

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 y مضت

I was being guided the entire time by an ATT sales rep. The chat transcripts are available in which he clearly says it was. Additionally, when i wasnt able to pick the unlimited plan when ordering on the site he specifically indicated to pick the lowest plan available which was the 3g plan and they would switch it at the store.  I specifically clarified the deal which consisted of 2 phones + hotspot+ ported phone from sprint for 180.00 he indicated i was correct. Not sure what else i could've done different. 

At this point i dont care whether the hotspot is on the unlimited plan or not. Put it on a 3gb plan but waive whatever fees you have to to honor the 180.00 plan. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.7K Messages

6 y مضت

It takes 2 or 3 bill cycles for the 4th line free credit to show up on your bill. Go ahead and change to the unlimited plan, you will get the $180 price for 4 lines, just not right away. There is no way you will get hotspot, though. That is just not available on the unlimited plan.

kevman2118

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 y مضت

The problem is I need the Hotspot for my father in law. He uses it for his Internet access... Plus the Hotspot doesn't count (now they tell me) as one of the lines. So I'd only have 3 lines + an expensive Hotspot on a separate plan which comes to almost 300$ altogether.... it's really a mess... I can see really my only option is to return all my equipment pay the restocking fee (150$) and try to get it back in arbitration. Noone is going to make this happen the way it was sold to me.
kevman2118

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 y مضت

By the way the deal that sold to me was 2 phones+hotspot+ported phone all on unlimited plan for 180. That included 2 new phones not just 4 lines and activation fees etc.

ACE - Sage

• 

100K Messages

6 y مضت

3 phone lines on the unlimited data plan is $180, plus the cost of phones.  The hotspot would be on a separate plan, $20, plus data plan $40 for 3 GBs. 

Thats $240 before tax and phone's.

PLUS, you must have ATT TV to keep unlimited data.   If you don't add direct TV or Uverse TV within 60 days of the unlimited plan, you lose the plan.  

The plans:  

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

kevman2118

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 y مضت

exactly... what was sold to me was 180 = 2 phones + hotspot+4th line

2 phones are 53 + hotspot (20 because it's on the shared plan) + 4th line free. I have an employee discount of 24%. the whole deal came to 180$ not 240 + the cost of the phones which is almos $300. You can see 300-180 is a big mistake. We're talking $2500 over 2 months. 

kevman2118

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 y مضت

13 days into my case now no response. oct 4th was the resolve date. no call not text no nothing. Oct 5th no call no test no nothing. Oct 6th no call no text no nothing. 1 day left in 14 day return period or i get slapped with $2k worth of ETF's. This is a joke beyond belief. Going back to sprint tomorrow. Nice job ATT!! BBB here we come and I'll see you in arbitration.

kevman2118

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 y مضت

By the way i see the number of views people looking at these posts. Get familiar with your arbitration clause. ATT pays for it. All you need is a ceritified letter to the legal dept and they have 30 days to respond with a settlement prior to actual arbitration proceedings. As an alternative we the consumer, can also pay $75 to go to small claims court (at least in Georgia). So for disputes that customer service, customer retention ignore you can do at least two of these three things:

1) File BBB case

2) File an arbitration case

or 

3) File a small claims court case 

Personally, given my chat transcripts and continued negligence I will be pursuing legal remedies. Thanks for the outstanding customer service ATT. 

ACE - Sage

• 

100K Messages

6 y مضت

You cannot enforce prices that are published on the website CONTRARY to your understanding of the offer.  If tomorrow is day 14, you must return everything tomorrow without fail.  

You absolutely have no ground ground to stand on.  You will get the prices as offered online only.

pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

6 y مضت

@kevman2118Why not just bail out at this point, before the ETF, and revert to your old plan?
Or, move to a MSV plan, that supports the hotspot, all before your 14-day window?

You could get the 30 or 40GB MSV plan, and still come in around that 180 figure, with all the devices, and your discount.  30-40GB is a lot of data, unless your FIL is streaming videos or something.

I agree, the person who sold you this plan wasn't exactly forthcoming, they should've flagged it at several points, the hotspot deal, having to add UVerse to keep Unlimited, etc.  

If you bail or switch to MSV now though, I think you'll ultimately save yourself a lot of grief, vs going the BBB and arbitration route...

kevman2118

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 y مضت

You're confused. I contacted sales via chat they (not me) told me the plans that were available and what I was qualified for. I have plenty of grounds. The assertion that sales is completely free to tell any customer anything and any price inconsistent with what the company offers is ridiculous. If I had done this on my own without any guidance shame on me... not the case. I purposelly used their chat tool in the event this happened and guess what it did. I have 3 hours of online chat of every tranaction and every response by the agent. At this point I will be returning the phones tomorrow no question.

I've been told already to expect a ~150 restocking fee for each of the three devices and I'm sure I will be charged on a prorated basis for the 14 days of service used while waiting for my case to be resolved.  So I'm expecting roughly $250 penalty for this fiasco and I'm out many hours of my time.

$250 for most things i wouldnt sweat. Just move on. However, I've sunk this much time in this and my frustration level is such that what's another 10hours and 45days to see it through. If anyone reads this and it helps them when dealing with such a level of negligence and lack of customer concern this will have been rewarding enough.

kevman2118

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 y مضت

I appreciate your thoughtful reply as opposed to the typical... "read the contract you have no ground to stand on nonsense i see on alot of these posts".

Just to advise everyone, thats what arbitration is for,it's a tool to resolve diputes, no one here is a lawyer so please refrain from giving legal advice. 

That being said, I'm not married to the original deal. 40 GB is plenty however the cost that the reps gave me when I explored my options came to something like:

100$ + 2 phones (55/month) plus hotspot (free)+ access fees  for 4 devices (3 phones x $120 + 20 for hotspot) for a grand total somewhere in the range of 260/month.

Not that great of a deal. There's actually no scenario where even with a 24% supplier discount this is even remotely possible. 

ACE - Sage

• 

100K Messages

6 y مضت

@kevman2118 wrote:

You're confused. I contacted sales via chat they (not me) told me the plans that were available and what I was qualified for. I have plenty of grounds.  No you don't.  The published prices trump chat offers.  No business can be held responsible for an employees error when the prices are fully available. 

The assertion that sales is completely free to tell any customer anything and any price inconsistent with what the company offers is ridiculous.  They arent, but carriers are protected if an employee lies or makes an error on a plan.

If I had done this on my own without any guidance shame on me... not the case. I purposelly used their chat tool in the event this happened and guess what it did. I have 3 hours of online chat of every tranaction and every response by the agent. At this point I will be returning the phones tomorrow no question.  Agreed, as you should.

I've been told already to expect a ~150 restocking fee for each of the three devices and I'm sure I will be charged on a prorated basis for the 14 days of service used while waiting for my case to be resolved.  So I'm expecting roughly $250 penalty for this fiasco and I'm out many hours of my time.  Now this is where ATT needs to suck it up.  If you have print out of chat, offering a plan that can't be honored, use it to get out of any restock fees and as much of service cost as possible.  While they don't have to honor the error, they should understand you wanting out and absorb the bulk of the expense.  

$250 for most things i wouldnt sweat. Just move on. However, I've sunk this much time in this and my frustration level is such that what's another 10hours and 45days to see it through. If anyone reads this and it helps them when dealing with such a level of negligence and lack of customer concern this will have been rewarding enough.

If you get any problem ask for retention's department.  

Let us know how it works out.

kevman2118

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 y مضت

Appreciate your thoughful replies, If customer service and customer retention dept was this clear and straightforward this would have been cleared up 13 days ago. Will keep the post updated with actual cost incurred and arbitration proceedings. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.