Need help understanding your bill?
J

• 

6 Messages

Monday, January 11th, 2021 11:53 PM

PROMOTIONAL OFFER SCAM!!!! PLEASE BE AWARE!!!

On 8/22/20, a CS agent offered me 3 wearables (watches) in order to reduce my overall monthly charges (i already had 3 lines in service with 3 iPhone XRs). He specifically confirmed that i would not have to pay for the devices, their activation and their monthly service as the wearables would have dummy lines associated with my original 3 lines (more like Google lines). I would only have to pay for shipping and taxes. i clesrly tiold him i had no money but would pay the $89 shipping+taxes on a credit card, since my overall monthly would reduce by $35. This reduction never happened! instead my bills went up and every single month i was on the line with every department at AT&T for 2+ hours, nothing was ever done. Now they disconnected my 3 original lines. i created a CM ticket on 12/24/20, they never followed with me as they originally promised. After 3 weeks i found out the ticket was closed by some manager. i am a loyal customer who has been with AST&T since 2007, when the iPhone Gen 1 came out. THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE BAD CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT. This ordeal in the past 3 weeks caused me to lose my job and now i am unable to communicate with my parents who are battling COVID-19. This is just beyond me. i am now trapped with AT&T and a ~$1,000 bill wrongly charged to my account. NOBODY at AT&T seems to know how to fix this simple problem, while i am left to pay for their mismanagement. PLEASE BE AWARE!!!

Former Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

2 years ago

On 8/22/20, a CS agent offered me 3 wearables (watches) in order to reduce my overall monthly charges (i already had 3 lines in service with 3 iPhone XRs). He specifically confirmed that i would not have to pay for the devices, their activation and their monthly service as the wearables would have dummy lines associated with my original 3 lines (more like Google lines). I would only have to pay for shipping and taxes.

Wait, so you thought you would not have to pay for the equipment, or the service, or activation fees. You thought you were just going to be given free watches and free service? That is not how a business works.

You had 14 days to return the devices.

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Nope, Let me be very clear here. i never inquired or needed any of the offered devices (and this was 300% made clear to the agent on 8/22) :

I specifically asked your Customer Service/Sales agent these 3 questions:

1- Will i have to pay for the devices? His answer - No (those are just a promotion)

2- Will i have to pay for their activation? his answer - No

3- Will I need to pay for a monthly service charge for the additional 3 lines? His answer- No...They are dummy lines forwarded to your (my) existing 3 mobile lines respectively

Why did he offer the devices to me? it was a promotional offer to reduce my overall monthly charge from $215 to $180

Since that day, i paid $215/month every month for 4 months, because the monthly charges never went down...they actually went up after 45 days and never went down.

The 14-day grace period does not apply here. the only way for me to validate if the bills would go down or not was to wait 30-45 days. At that point, I (not AT&T) got on the phone with your Customer Service/Billing/Sales (for 2+ hours) to understand what was going on...Their answer? it would take 1-2 billing cycle for the additional charges to go away...NEVER HAPPENED

AT&T needs to own what is being sold out there to its customers. This is business best practice 101. Not having Sales offer 1 thing, then Billing does something else and Customer Service trying to explain a third thing. THAT is not how Customer Relationship Management works

To answer your question above, i didn't think i would not have to pay for the equipment, i was offered to not pay for them, and as a customer i will always welcome a promotional offer if it ends in a reduction of my monthly charges.

Just like i repeatedly mention to any of the 5 representatives i have to talk to every month, i have been with AT&T since 2007 and i currently am paying ~$2,500 per year between my 3 mobile lines. Would it make any sense to suspend my 3 lines for $991 unpaid balance (of which ~$775 is wrongly applied to my account)? You do the Math...

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

2 years ago

You would have gotten an email showing everything you were going to be charged for. Therefore, if you read it, you would have known what the charges would be and could have cancelled the lines within 14 days. 

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

I never received any email (or any other form of communication) stating what the charges estimate would be. I only saw the charges increase via the website/app. I am very much on top of my accounts and would have caught that email if it were ever sent. Further, nobody at AT&T seemed to be able to identify that “email” in the records, in their multiple reviews of the account records. This was a clear case of someone misrepresenting AT&T to push a sale under a scam.

In every call, I provide the name of the agent, the original order number and the subsequent CM tickets. No one seems to be able to go back to the original order and find out what happened. They are all making hypothetical statements like you are now. 
Who will own this mess and fix this simple issue at AT&T? Can someone look into the real account records and make a reasonable assessment of what needs to be done? I can’t pay for something I never asked for, ordered or used!

ACE - Sage

• 

104K Messages

2 years ago

I think the point that is being made by @Lockdowncraziness  is - why on Earth would you think that expensive devices and service  through a for profit business is free?

Completely illogical for anyone over the age of consent to think it's true. 

This is one of those, " if you believed that story I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you" kind of moments. 

You would have noticed immediately in your online account the addition of three new lines at $10 a piece. That is hardly a dummy line, right?    This was the point where you should have immediately had the watches returned within the 14-day buyer's remorse

You can file a Better Business Bureau complaint online. Complaints are forwarded to AT&T upper management who will call you. Since you have not opened the boxes for the three watches you can probably get them to take them back.

Please do not be this naive again.  Offers are published on AT&T website.  Offers are never to give you free stuff, they are to increase At&t profits and tie you for more time.

(edited)

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

What I think or do not think is COMPLETELY irrelevant here. My point is a fraudulent transaction was completed on the basis of a scam. Why on earth no one is able to go back to the records and validate what was sold and agreed upon?

FYI- when the lines popped up on the acct, someone at AT&T told me the charges would go away within 1-2 billing cycles. Please read my comment above. So, again, by the time I was able to take action we were 30-45 days into this 

You both seem to label this as naïveté. I am far from this customer type you are trying to portrait here. The point here is I called AT&T at 18003310500 and spoke to someone (I can disclose his name on a private conversation) and was clearly offered something that was never provided. And you are questioning whether I thought it was true or not? The common denominator here is we are all describing a scam, and the perp is from AT&T.

you best believe this will be reported to BBB and the AG office. 
For every AT&T wireless customer reading this here, please be aware! You may be their next target!

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

UNBELIEVABLE...

On 1/13, this matter was resolved by the AT&T Office of the President:

1- All lines associated with those 3 wearables were removed from the acct

2- A corresponding credit of ~$1,230 was applied to the acct

This morning, I stumbled upon a new bill on my acct, which suddenly lists those same 3 lines and a balance of ~$909, due by 2/5. I promptly called 8003310500 and asked for Billing dptmnt. The Rep’s explanation of this sudden charge? “The remaining activation cost for the 3 lines...” (really?) I confirmed those lines were effectively removed on 1/13 and there shouldn’t be any residual charges today. He then offered to forward me to “Fraud” dptmnt. Clearly, in his mind, this mess requires the customer (me) to hop from department to department to explain to each one what is going on and that internal AT&T systems are misaligned. This is absolutely terrible and beyond comprehension!!!

Do I need to file another BBB complaint and call the state’s AG office for this ongoing scam?!

ACE - Sage

• 

104K Messages

2 years ago

We're the watches returned for credit?  If not, it's the bill for equipment. 

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

It is the bill for equipment+activation+service. Basically, the 3 lines were just added back to the acct. Classic case of changes not replicated throughout internal systems at AT&T (and for a whole week!). Worse is they called me back, forwarded me to loyalty dptmnt, only to tell me that they can only credit up to $25, even the manager could not RE-apply the credit. I was then advised to contact the office of the President back to resolve the matter...at that point I had to tell them that THEY need to open a ticket and resolve their internal problem without expecting me (the customer) to have to talk to people for hours for such a simple matter. Does anyone at AT&T understand the concept of customer relationship?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.