Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Thu, Jul 17, 2014 5:45 PM

Problems With AT&T Next & Customer Account Upgrades

Ok, so I will take you back to where this all started.

My fiance just got a new phone a few months ago and we were looking into lowering our monthly bill as I was laid off from my job.

This is where it got dicey.....I asked around about things that I could do to work around our bill to get it any lower as we were going through some financial difficulties and I was instructed to bring it over to the mobile share plan that would net us around $20-25 in savings a month....(at this point we have been on the plan about 3 mo)

That brings us to right now.....I am having real trust issues with AT&T because now I am basically being told that because of this, I have to pay monthly installments whether I go through this Next deal or otherwise (changing up my plan req) because at no time was I told ---- hey, you've had your iphone 4s for 2 years, maybe you should upgrade that before you switch over to this plan because otherwise you are going to get screwed with extra fees.

Now my 4S is starting to fail at multiple points (dock connector, battery) and I have to consider OOW replacement or DIY methods and all because I was not instructed that maybe 3 months back I should have replaced the phone when I could get a brand new phone for a penny + the upgrade fee which still is wavelengths better than what I would be allotted to now when I am struggling for money yet need that phone for prospective jobs.

Needless to say, I am VERY frustrated with a company that I have been a customer with since around 2003-2004 

Responses

21stNow

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

6 years ago

If you had upgraded your phone, then switched to the Mobile Share Value Plan, your device fee would be $40/month instead of the $15 or $25 that you are paying now.  You would have ended up paying more money for a new phone one way or another.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

6 years ago

just because you switch over to the mobile share plan, it doesnt mean that you have to buy another phone. if your phone is out of contract, you would just be charged 15 or 25 dollars for that phone per monthly access, in addition to however much your actual plan costs. if you want to do an upgrade, you can find a "free" phone, and you would be charged 40 dollars per month for monthly access in addition to the plan costs. you can actually find some nice phones on next with low monthly payments, especially if you choose to do NEXT 18. to keep my cost low, i chose the 300 mb plan, which is only 20 dollars per month because i have wifi at home. 

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

If you had upgraded your phone, then switched to the Mobile Share Value Plan, your device fee would be $40/month instead of the $15 or $25 that you are paying now.  You would have ended up paying more money for a new phone one way or another.

Thats not true at all....because if that were true, we would be doing that for my 2nd line as we just upgraded that a few months ago....we are not.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

6 years ago

@braves22 wrote:

@21stNow wrote:

Thats not true at all....because if that were true, we would be doing that for my 2nd line as we just upgraded that a few months ago....we are not.

that is true..all phones on the mobile share plan thats on 2 year contracts are 40 dollars per month. if your phone is out of contract or paid in full or on next monthly payments, your access per month will be 15 or 25 dollars per line, depending on which plan you choose. 

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

My point was, we were both out of contract BEFORE we switched to a Mobile Share plan....

She upgraded her phone because she needed a new one....

I didn't because my phone worked fine at the time....

I did not realize that by not doing so, it completely eliminated me from getting a penny (or close) phone....

IF I hadnt moved from a grandfathered plan to a mobile share plan, I wouldve been able to sign a new contract and get a cheap phone only paying the upgrade fee....

I was never informed or instructed that I probably should have just upgraded my phone prior to entering into the Mobile Share agreement.....

Thats what is so irritating and frustrating....especially after being a long time customer.

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

6 years ago

There is one exception to the contract/out-of-contract pricing. If you are under contract and the contract was in effect prior to 02/01/2014, then you get the out-of-contract pricing even though you are under contract (assuming you meet the data plan requirements).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:
There is one exception to the contract/out-of-contract pricing. If you are under contract and the contract was in effect prior to 02/01/2014, then you get the out-of-contract pricing even though you are under contract (assuming you meet the data plan requirements).

That was where I was at.....

However now that I have entered into the Mobile Share agreement, this option no longer exists....

Again something that would have been nice to have been told.

Now I am having to seriously consider other alternatives to AT&T as I am currently with a failing phone and little options.

Really I am not sure what I intended to accomplish here besides venting to other customers and making sure that anyone with a grandfathered plan knows what I have run into before considering this faulty switch.

21stNow

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

6 years ago

So this was more than a few months ago that you made this change.  You can still upgrade your phone now on a two-year contract.  You just have to pay the upgrade fee and $40 a month for your line.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

So this was more than a few months ago that you made this change.  You can still upgrade your phone now on a two-year contract.  You just have to pay the upgrade fee and $40 a month for your line.

No, now I would have to pay the phone cost, the upgrade fee, AND a $15/mo charge for altering the Mobile Share agreement....

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.1K Messages

6 years ago

@braves22 wrote:

@21stNow wrote:

No, now I would have to pay the phone cost, the upgrade fee, AND a $15/mo charge for altering the Mobile Share agreement....

The only difference between you upgrading a few months ago and then going on mobile share and you upgrading today would be the potential difference in available upgrade promos (e.g. you mentioned a phone for a penny). Your monthly costs would be the same.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I'm in the exact same boat.  I switched over thinking it would save us money.  We have four lines.  It did for the first month.  Then I upgraded my daughters phone- which was out of contract before I changed plans- and on the next bill, I realize I'm paying an extra $25 a month.  So, I realize that when all of us want to upgrade some time this year, we will essentially be paying $100 a month more than the plan was supposed to cost - which is about $50 more than I was paying on my old plan.  Now, we have less data - because my husband was on the old plan of unlimited.  Boy did we get screwed over. 

I think the new pricing is a very sneaky way to charge more.  They do not explain this when they ask if you want to change to the mobile share plan.  

I called just the other day to find out what the costs are for getting out of all contracts.  It's seriously not worth it anymore.  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

@MicCheck wrote:
The only difference between you upgrading a few months ago and then going on mobile share and you upgrading today would be the potential difference in available upgrade promos (e.g. you mentioned a phone for a penny). Your monthly costs would be the same.

Again, NOT true....

BEFORE: I could get a solid promo phone (S4) for a penny or even say $20 and I would just have to re-up for 2 years and pay the upgrade fee --- total cost $56 and change at the most

NOW: I either have to re-up AND pay the upgrade fee which has been increased to $40 AND pay a smartphone upgrade fee of $15 per month

OR

I have to pay for the Next cost

Either option costs me well over $300 on the life of the phone (which may not even last the 18 mo given the way they make phones these days)

Nowhere is that even close to "only difference".....where did you get your math education?!

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

6 years ago

I'm not sure what this "$15 smartphone upgrade fee" you mention is. You add that to your costs, but I have no idea what you are talking about there.

If you are on a family plan, you pay a flat fee per month regardless if you are on a contract or not. On a Mobile Share plan, you pay a flat fee for your service, but if you do not have a 2 year contract subsidized phone (ignoring the promotional discount) you get a discount on your service, but if you sign a new contract and get a subsidized phone you don't get the discount on your service (to pay for the subsidized phone). You can still get a new phone by using NEXT, buying at full price from AT&T or getting one from any other source you like (as long as it is compatible with the AT&T network).

Where the confusion seems to be coming from is that you wanted to save the money by getting the "out of contract discount" (whether you were out of contract or getting the promotional discount) and now, you want to get the discounted phone by signing a new contract, but you want to keep getting the discount for being "out of contract". There in lies the problem, you can't have a new contract and still get the "out of contract discount" that you want to keep. If your finances are still so tight, then you can either not get a new phone right now, or you can go to an outside source and get a compatible phone using whatever means you choose, and use that phone on the AT&T network, then your AT&T bill will not change. You seem to be ignoring the fact that the Mobile Share plan has been saving you money by letting you pay the "out of contract discount" pricing ever since you switched to it. If you remove that discount, then the change to paying a higher fee now for getting a new phone will be about the same as you were paying before you switched to the Mobile Share plan.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Get started...

Ask a new question