Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

11 Messages

Thu, Feb 6, 2020 7:36 PM

Prepaid charges when on airplane mode

We had a big problem when we first signed up for the 25c /min prepaid plan. ~70 messages or calls a day! I had to leave phone turned off or on airplane mode. I went back to AT&T shop and they gave me a new number and refunded charges incurred.

I have left the phone on airplane mode unless it is being used. Looking at call log here, I see phone calls have gone to voicemail and there are no charges, However, a text message just received was charged for. Is it right that I would be charged for messages that come in while on airplane mode?

I do have a call blocker installed. It did not catch the above call, presumably because I was on airplane mode? If I had phone on and message was blocked, would I still be charged by AT&T?

After our first bad experience, I am a bit gun-shy about using phone at all!

Responses

mobilemax

Employee

• 

796 Messages

2 months ago

Hello,

The calls you miss don’t incur minutes because they are routed to voicemail and leave a message. The text however doesn’t have a “mailbox” and is delivered and charged accordingly. When you turn off the airplane mode, any queued texts that you hadn’t yet received come in all at once and incur charges then.

The plan is very limited and he first issue sounds like, just a recycled number, not a problem with plan or service directly.

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

11 Messages

We don't have voicemail, so caller would not be able to leave a message. If they did, we could be charged? Not a problem, because I will not have a voicemail box.

The text message was charged for well before airplane mode was turned off. So it was in fact charged for before it had been delivered. That doesn't seem right.

Once delivered, the text was caught by my blocker app. If airplane mode had been off, I don't know if the blocked message would have still been charged for. I will find out, I guess.

Is there a way to deactivate text messaging altogether? This is just an emergency phone mainly for outgoing calls and incoming limited to a small contact list.

(edited)

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

@Freeagent Tell the people who have the number not to text you.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

11 Messages

Really??

How would I do that - the texts come from spammers and robocallers. Nobody we know has the number.

• 

6 Messages

@Freeagent Yep, I agree this is complete (Edited per community guidelines). I, being a new AT&T Prepaid customer (I switched from Tmobile Prepaid about two months ago) have a hard time believing that in 2020 there's that kind of highway robbery going on (Customers being charged for unwanted texts).

I could see maybe if this was 20 years ago, but not in frickin 2020

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

contact at&t and ask them to block text service

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…