Get the new iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro & iPhone 15 Pro Max from AT&T Now!
Need help understanding your bill?
Mrsklee's profile

New Member


1 Message

Friday, January 20th, 2023 3:22 AM

Plan change without my consent

My daughter went into an authorized retail store to upgrade her phone because the corporate store didn’t have any in stock. I received the receipt via email and notice that the rep change my plan. There was no discussion of a plan change. Yes, she was getting a promotion; however, we were already on an unlimited plan. This was the third phone we have upgraded in the last month and no other store has changed our plan. I spent an hour in the phone with AT&T this morning only for them to open a case for me. I contacted the store and was told that sometime they analyzed the bill and will build a quote for a rate change but they don’t change it without concent. I informed her that had her rep actually “analyze” my bill she would have seen that the previous months bill had two upgrade fees. Now my bill will be higher for less service. I’ve had the free HBO max for years, but it doesn’t come with this new higher plan. I will give AT&T two days to get this fixed before filing a complaint with the BBB and the FCC. Has anyone ever been able to successfully switch back to their old unlimited plan? 

ACE - Expert


21.8K Messages

8 months ago

I would just ahead and file a complaint with the BBB. Authorized AT&T Retail Stores are notorious for this kind of thing. At least a lot of the them are. Technically you did business with the Retail Store and not AT&T so your complaint will have to be with the Retail Store. That being said, the complaint will go to Corporate and someone from the Office of the President will contact you within a few days and the MIGHT be able to help you.

New Member


2 Messages

8 months ago

Same thing happened to me. I believe this is happening all over. Definitely filing a complaint with FCC. Might consider getting an attorney (of possible, bc that unethical)! I was on chat and asked multiple times, who authorized my plan to change without my consent, nobody told me anything...

Community Support


221.3K Messages

8 months ago

Here's how you can report an unauthorized change on your account, Tabican.


If you haven't already, contact our Global Fraud Management team:

  • For wireless accounts, call 877.844.5584
  • For digital phone, internet, or U-verse TV accounts, call 888.471.4576

You'll want to apply these steps in the event that your identity used to establish AT&T service or make account changes without your knowledge, even if you have found out about those changes by:

  • Your AT&T bill shows an unknown or unauthorized account or account changes
  • A collection agency contacts you about an unknown or unauthorized AT&T account
  • Your credit report shows an unknown or unauthorized AT&T account

Also, as recommended under Additional steps to take in case of identity theft at Guard against identity theft, filing a police report is a great initial step. You will want to do this so that you are able to submit a copy of the report to your creditors or others who may require proof of the crime.


We hope this information helps.


Thank you for reaching out to AT&T Community Forums.


Lar, AT&T Community Specialist

Not finding what you're looking for?