Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
curtlewis's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Jan 1, 2016 6:55 PM

Phone subsidies end, but your monthly bill is the same or higher

After your 2 year contract is up, your bill doesn't go down.  The phone is paid for, yet they keep charging you the same amount.

They're getting rid of the 2 year contract.  You can either pay $700+ for your phone or buy it and pay an additional fee in monthly installments.  But your monthly bill, except for that, will still remain at the same rate.

You will be, in essence, paying for the phone twice over two years.  After two years, you'll keep paying for it AGAIN.

This amounts to fraud.  It's not just AT&T, it's most of the telcos in the industry.  They've determined Americans are too stupid to realize they're being ripped off.

Speak up.  Here.  Anywhere online.  To your congressman, your senator - let them know you don't like to be ripped off.

Responses

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

5 years ago

They are wanting you to change plans. The Mobile Share Data Plans have a discount for being out of contract. Once the phone is paid for, you plan is cheaper. The older grandfathered plans do not have that option.

If you want to remain on your legacy plan, you will have to now pay for the phone, no more subsidized phones.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

You can vote with your wallet and choose whatever service you please. I really don't get what you're saying about congressmen and all that jazz because they're not going to jump in and tell a company what they can charge. The free market determines the cost. If it's not suitable, you're welcome to choose whoever does. There is no price fixing or conspiracy theories here. 

A) Phone costs are what they are. Only in the United States and Canada has there ever been any sort of subsidized costs for phones. In Europe and China, you pay the manufacturers price and that's the only option. Subsidies are over and reasonable people see that getting a 700 dollar phone for 100 bucks is not happening any more.

B) If you choose to stay on an OLD plan that's your choice. You can't blame the carrier if you don't take advantage of the newest plans that offer discounts outside of contract. On the contrary, a Mobile Share Value plan offers a $15/$25 PER LINE discount outside of contract. You can't say your bill stays the same or discounts don't exist when you're neglecting to mention ALL of the available plans. 

Where is all the angry blog posts and industry websites crying foul and jumping up and down in rage over the ending of contracts? It doesn't exist because the industry knows the direction it's moving in. You bring your own phone that you own outright to any carrier and you're paying less than someone who chooses to buy it from the carrier. It's that simple. There are a dozen phone providers in the United States. The free market has allowed for plenty of choice so everyone is free to pick what fits their needs. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.3K Messages

5 years ago

Ridiculous.  If you are on an old plan, you are probably paying LESS than your service is worth.  ATT had to either take away your plan, or charge more.   

Things have changed because the cost of phones varies so much and at the high end are very expensive.  It is fair for each customer to pay for service at a reasonable rate, but should pay for the phone they can afford separately.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Busternutt

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

So many complainers here are quick to claim "I have a contract for XYZ". Well, look at your old legacy plan contract. That was the way it was written, no discount or price reduction after 2 years. If you want the out of contract discount, you will have to give up your old plan and sign up for the current one.

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"

Get started...

Ask a new question