The phone that makes your everyday epic. Buy the Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G now!
Help for account, billing & more
Benzy66's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wed, Sep 27, 2017 3:33 PM

Phone replaced by warranty instead of insurance (was told to send it in via warranty)--charged $600

My iPhone's home button stopped working and I decided to contact AT&T to have it replaced.  Earlier in the year, I submitted a claim through insurance due to a cracked screen (first one I ever broke!).  Sure enough, a few months later the same thing happened--just a tiny crack this time.  I contacted insurance and they recommended going through warranty because if I did it through insurance, I would be out of luck if it happened again because that would have been 2 claims.  So I sent it in through the warranty program after my replacement phone arrived.  A few weeks later, I received a bill indicating that since the screen was cracked (the crack was worse than when I initially sent it), I would have to pay $599 to replace the device.  I contacted chat and here is an excerpt from that:

Matthew: I see you were transfered, give me a minute to go over the previous chat.

Matthew: Hi, Stephanie, I see you were billed for the device you sent in for warranty?

Matthew: Alright Stephanie, what you need to do to get this fixed is to go back to that store and ask for a manager and call this number which is the warranty line 8003310500, and tell them that they told you to do the warranty instead of insurance even though the phone was damaged and would not be covered through warranty

Matthew: Thank you Stephanie for being a valued AT&T Customer, we appreciate your business! Have a great day!

I then went on to call warranty and they will not budge on this.  I even offered to return the phone and submit a claim through insurance but they kept referring to "terms and coniditions" of the warranty program.  Long story short, my bill is over $700 now.  I've been with them for nearly ten years, and they will not work with me in any way to get this resolved with the exception of taking $599 from me.

Anyone else have this problem?  I'm losing my mind!  

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.5K Messages

4 y ago

The insurance company was WRONG. A cracked screen is not covered by warranty, that is physical damage.

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

4 y ago

Asurion told you wrong.  Warranty covers manufacturing defects, not broken phones.  Any physical or liquid damage voids the warranty.  

Has it happened to others?   Yes, and they got billed and had to pay too.

Solution:  pay for Apple care plus with new iPhones which covers screen repairs for $29 and extends warranty for a second year.  

Self-insure your phones.  (I mean bank the premiums).  Asurion is a monopoly and they cost far too much compared to other options.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

WOW I'm with you 100% on this. Just got off the phone in tears because of the same issue, that $720 was my vacation money to see my recently divorced dad. Even though I told them insurance at the beginning of the call, the representative sent it through via warranty. She put no notes from the call about the insurance claim I had requested, but noted that troubleshooting was completed for the "touch screen display issue" and that it had "been resolved" (for a phone that wouldn't even turn on). Then followed that in the notes with recommending a warranty claim. If the issue had "been resolved", why would a warranty claim be necessary? The 2nd rep I spoke with (after I received my phone back and the bill for $720) was AWESOME, but the supervisor didn't care at all. He had NO RESPONSE when I asked why I should pay for THEIR employee's mistake. Other than to spout off the "terms and conditions" speech. If it wasn't in the supervisor's power to waive the fee or resolve the issue, then he should have just said "Man, I understand and that's terrible. I'll make sure my boss knows the extent of the issue and I will do my best to make sure he calls you back to work towards a resolution" ! I've been in customer service management for a decade and I will be honest with my customers if they have an issue with corporate standards and I agree with them. People don't like being lied to or given a script. @ AT&T: I understand people can be shiesty and try to con their way into getting free stuff. I've dealt with it FOR YEARS. Having said that, I've been a loyal customer for over 10 years (I pay $300 a month for service on multiple lines). I'm not looking for a handout. I'm simply not willing to pay for someone else's mistake, ESPECIALLY one of YOUR employees. I've honestly never had an issue with AT&T, but I'm not sure if I'll stay with them if they don't resolve the issue. And unfortunately that probably won't happen since it's probably due to rules and restrictions put in place by the higher ups and the lower levels that we as customers have access to simply don't have the authorization to fix it (but they get to deal with the angry customers because of it). 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.