Need help understanding your bill?
I

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, May 26th, 2020 5:38 AM

paying off and unlocking an iphone

Alright, so here's the problem: My sister recently filed bankruptcy, and gifted an iphone 7 plus, that appears to have not been paid off(i assume because of the bankruptcy), to my mother(her step mom). So what I'm after here is to find out how much is owed(apparently my sister doesn't know herself), in the hopes of getting it paid off(it shouldn't be too much more given how long she had it) and possibly unlocked so that it can get used again. Obviously i'm not going to post the personal information beyond that here. hopefully someone from that can help find this information will get in touch in my DMs or something. I'm operating under the assumption it's probably a lost cause, but figured it couldn't hurt to try anyway(I lack better things to do). Anyways, let me know! thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 years ago

It is not possible for a third party to get access to the information on what was owed on the phone in order to pay it off.
That of course means that AT&T will not unlock a phone. The phone can be used on AT&T or any of its mvnos

• 

4 Messages

@lizdance40 The phone can be used on AT&T or any of its mvnos

So, while we can't pay it off for a family member, we might still be able to take it to another carrier like tracfone for example as long as it uses the AT&T Towers?, or was the "can" a typo?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

not a typo

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

well in that case i'll grab a boyd kit to use, and report back if it works out or not. they're literally $1, so not really out anything if it doesn't end up working.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

@lizdance40  got the tracfone sim today, and the service appears to have transfered successfully, thank you for your valuable input! while i may not be able to help my sister in the way I would have hoped, the phone isn't a glorified tablet anymore, so i'll call it a win.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

4 years ago

Your sister should call AT&T and ask. However, she'll have to pay everything owed to AT&T before the phone can be unlocked, not just the phone payments (assuming the account is closed).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.