Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Need help understanding your bill?
RickyRex3's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, September 29th, 2019 2:52 PM

Pay off BOGO Phone

I became an ATT wireless customer in December 2017.  I received two iPhone8's 256gb as a buy one get one free promotion.  Everything has been fine in terms of billing including receiving the monthly installments on the free phone.  I only have about 2-3 months left on my 24 Next agreement and was wondering if I can pay the remaining balance on both phones.  I owe $106 on the purchased phone and $106 on the free phone.  Can I pay the phones off without getting hit with the full cost of the "free" phone?  I am considering leaving ATT service due to the constant reception issues in my area and was wondering if paying $212+ tax+fees etc would allow me to transition a few months early without being hit with a $1000+ cost of the free phone we received?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

You can pay off both phones but you may quit getting the free phone credits if you pay off the “free” phone. Unfortunately, the BOGO requirements change often and I don’t know the exact requirements in place when you got your phones. We would normally say paying off the “free” phone would definitely end your credits but I know of at least one poster who paid off their “free” phone to get it unlocked but continued to get credits, but their BOGO was from this year.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

The idea would be to pay off the remaining balances on both phones and switch to a new carrier.  I just want to know if that paying off both phones means I would be excluded from any further phone payments and/or credits.  So, if I pay off both phones, I can stay with ATT or leave ATT with no further penalties beyond regular billing and taxes.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

5 years ago

@RickyRex3   The general rule is ‘no installments, no credits’ and your intention is to leave, so you will absolutely be hit with remaining installments for that.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

The "free" phone is currently being paid in installments per the contract I have with ATT.  No problems there.  The remaining installments on the free phone add up to $106 (2-3 months left) because ATT covered the rest over the course of the prior installments.  Can I make the last 2-3 installments on the free phone, out-of-pocket totaling $106 and be free of this agreement?  In a sense, I would be saving ATT the remaining balance on the free phone by paying it myself.  I would pay off the remaining balance of the Not Free phone as well at the same time.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Can I make the last 2-3 installments on the free phone, out-of-pocket totaling $106 and be free of this agreement? 

Yes.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.