Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
urganesh's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Aug 3, 2016 5:09 AM

Passport Plans are very expensive when compared to other carriers

I recently added Passport plan for travelling to Canada and wanted to share my thoughts regarding the plan ... Other Carriers like TMobile , Verizon has much better roaming options available , my intent of adding passport plan is to just use Data for maps alone & for that 40$ minimum rate sounds way too Expensive ... Why Can't AT&T provide cheaper options for Roaming at least to neighbouring countries like Canada for  cheaper rates ... Since I realized it @ last moment I wasn't able to make other arrangements to cut down the cost before travelling..

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 y ago

@urganesh wrote:

@I recently added Passport plan for travelling to Canada and wanted to share my thoughts regarding the plan ... Other Carriers like TMobile , Verizon has much better roaming options available , my intent of adding passport plan is to just use Data for maps alone & for that 40$ minimum rate sounds way too Expensive ... Why Can't AT&T provide cheaper options for Roaming at least to neighbouring countries like Canada for  cheaper rates ... Since I realized it @ last moment I wasn't able to make other arrangements to cut down the cost before travelling..

There are better options, assuming you have a MSV plan of some size (I believe 5 or 10GB is the minimum).

Call CS, and ask for the retentions department they can set you up with a Canada Roaming bonus deal, although some people have to call back a couple of times, to get the "right" retentions agent, who understands the feature.  This should give you 1GB of data.

That said, I'd HIGHLY suggest you download your maps, via WiFi, BEFORE you leave, for all the regions you plan to travel.  Worst-case, try and do it at a motel or campground with free WiFi, early on in the trip.

If you're short on space, and you card can accept a microSD card, they're really cheap for a 32 or 64GB card, in the 10-20 range (a whole lot cheaper than a passport plan ;-]).  You can get one of these almost anyplace these days, any big box electronics store, even some drugstores and such.

This way, *almost all* your navigation can take place with data already on the phone, even a bunch of stops, like food, gas, lodging, attractions, etc, most map apps contain all this metadata in the big downloads.

If you do both of these, you can use your data for  other stuff, like looking for lodging deals, booking tour tickets, whatever, and your nav stuff will be "free" ;-]

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as solved, and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). Thanks.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

5 y ago

Yes, the passport plans are pricey.

A @pgrey said, with Unlimited Plan (Direct TV) or Mobile Share Value plan you can get free texting / calling in Canada. You get data too, how much data depends on the plan.

• If you have the Unlimited Plan (Direct TV) you can get Canada roaming free (sign up on-line for North America roaming) which uses your plan data.
  • If you have Mobile Share Value plan you can get Canada Roaming Bonus for free, but you have to call and ask for retention to do it (if they don't know what you're talking about, call back and ask someone else) and this gives you 1 GB free. This may work first time or may take a few calls, this is a not an official perk of MSV so not eveyone knows about it...

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution". This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.1K Messages

5 y ago

I received this letter last week.

If you're on an old plan, this isn't avalable to you and passport is your only option.  You bring up the plans by other carrier, which are also new plans.  Older plans don't have these options.

If you had a qualifying plan, I would hope you would be steered to the correct travel plan by support.  But I don't count on it, especially not if you call and ask for Passport plan, then they get tunnel vision.  

Verizon has the same offer as ATT for qualifying minimum plans.

T -mobile offers data at 2G speed.

image.jpeg

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 y ago

Definitely, what @lizdance40 said, if you're not on MSV, you probably want to be, the plans are almost always a better deal.

TMobile had screaming fast 4G/LTE for me, in Canada, actually better rural coverage than in the US (WA state anyway) ;-0

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as solved, and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). Thanks.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 y ago

I'm on MSV plan ( 15gb) which gives me option to call canada/mexico but my problem is I want roaming @ better cost while being in Canada ... I dont call Canada (or) Mexico from US ..

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

5 y ago

@urganesh wrote:

@I'm on MSV plan ( 15gb) which gives me option to call canada/mexico but my problem is I want roaming @ better cost while being in Canada ... 

Since you have Mobile Share Value plan you can get Canada Roaming Bonus for free, but you have to call and ask for retention to do it (if they don't know what you're talking about, call back and ask someone else) and this gives you 1 GB data free and unlimited texing and calling.

This may work first call or may take a few calls, this is a not an official perk of MSV so not eveyone knows about it...

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution". This helps other people to find an answer more

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.1K Messages

5 y ago

@Gary L. Were you able to get it added to all your lines? (Canadian roaming bonus)

Some are reporting they can add it to one line.  Since I'm not traveling north or south, I haven't bothered.  

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 y ago

@Gary L The free calling/texting DOES NOT require the Canada bonus, you get them as part of a 15GB (maybe 10, I'm not postive on that) or greater plan, no changes/features necessary to use.

It's only the data that changes, with the Canada Bonus.

I was able to get this on all my lines, took 3 calls, 1st had no clue, 2nd managed to add it to 1 line (and said it was on all 3), last retentions CSR got it right, all 3 lines.   I probably spent 1.5+ hours getting it right.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

53.2K Messages

5 y ago

@pgrey That is incorrect. The free calling and texting only applies to calls and texts from the US to Canada, not while in Canada. The Canada Roaming bonus provides calls, texts and data while roaming in Canada. Without it, you will pay international roaming rates for calls or texts. 

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

5 y ago

@pgrey Free calling and texting TO Canada from US is included in MSV 15GB.   

Free calling and texting FROM Canada is part of the Canadian Roaming Bonus (or Roam North America); plug the 1GB of data too.

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 y ago

@Gary L@sandblaster, Yeah my bad.

My plan is a little "odd", it's a MSV, but also a bit of a mixed-grandfathered deal too (the detals are weird, to say the least), so on my features, it shows the calling from Canada and Mexico too, and lists my CA deal seperately.  

I appreciate the clarification, my mistake on the assumption.  Just goes to show you, even those of us posting a lot up here, sometimes fail to "interpret" our own billing layout properly.

@urganesh You really want to get the Canada Roaming Bonus, and like everyone has said, you have to call multiple times, and check your plan online, to make sure it's on all lines, despite what a CSR may verify, we've seen cases where it was confirmed verbally, but not done correctly in the plan.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

5 y ago

@pgrey I was wondering where that was coming from...

I'll assume your CA deal is Canada and not something mixed/special in CAlifornia? 🙂

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 y ago

@Gary LYeah, Canada;-]  I had a weird deal with my other half-grandfathered plan, I bet my bill is relatively unique, the feature layout.  

I need to keep this in mind when I'm referencing it for suggestions here...

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.