Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
jgilfor's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, February 2nd, 2018 1:24 PM

Overbilled for a Phone I Returned to AT&T Store

I am a longstanding AT&T customer from Tampa who upgraded to the IphoneX during Apple's pre-order period. I upgraded my aging iIphone 6S Plus with AT&T Next plan during that pre-order. Although I owed only a few (4) payments on my old phone (about $85), I got no option of paying that at the time, and was informed that I should return my old phone to AT&T after receiving the new one.

As soon as I got my new phone, I went to the local AT&T corporate store to return the old phone (and get a screen protector for the new one). They told me that I did NOT need to return the phone. Thye said I owned it in full. Since I did not need that phone anymore, they offerredto purchase it back from me. I accepted the $200 credit (less the cost of the screen protector) for the old phone.

Next bill from AT&T showed a charge for $999 for a "non-returned device". "Obviously an error," I said to myself and called Customer Service. They couldn't help and recommended going to the store. After multiple trips to the same corporate store (Oldsmar, FL), and at least 6 hours of my valuable time, not to mention the copious notes on my account, the last person in "Retentions" finally stated that the account would be fully squared away if I simply paid the 4 payments they say were remaining on my old phone when upgraded. Wife and I went home and immediately paid that.

Despite ALL this time, effort, and angst, my bill STILL shows a balance of $255, and that's AFTER my paying the remaining $85!!!!!!

First of all, AT&T HAS MY OLD PHONE!

They PAID ME FOR IT and it is reflected in their records!!

My old phone was only worth a couple hundred dollars; they paid ME only $200 for it; how in the world would I owe $999 EVER???

I am at whit's end here. Don't know whether I want to completely cancel ALL my AT&T phones and switch to a competitor, or seek legal counsel. I certainly am considering contacting the FCC and State's Attorney General's office. This is fraundulent billing at it's finest.

They have never even offerrred an apology or any compensation for MY TIME!!!!!!

Oh, BTW, last person we spoke to at "Retentions" mentioned, "Oh, we've been having problems with the upgrades."

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

6 years ago

Private message ATT here @ATTCares and explain just as you did here.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.