Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Jan 11, 2020 9:48 PM

NextUp plan wasn't wanted, and now it won't go away (even after being repeatedly promised by CS rep that it would be gone)

I assume AT&T customer service reps monitor this space. In the late summer of 2019, my adult son (whose phone is on my account) was out of town when his iPhone died. I was also out of town on vacation (separately from him). I told him to go to a local AT&T store and just buy himself a new phone. Of course, AT&T made that an absolutely miserable experience, both at the store and on the phone with me, since I had to be contacted to give my permission to make a "change" to the account. While I understand and appreciate the need for the precautions, it was ridiculous that no one could be more helpful. I literally spent two hours of my vacation on the phone with AT&T.

Anyway, once it's finally settled and a month goes by, I get the first bill. There's a $5 charge for the "NextUp" plan attached to my son's phone number. I asked my son if he actually wanted that, he said 'no.' I asked him if the rep at the store explained it to him. He said 'no.' I called AT&T and asked that the $5 be refunded and the NextUp plan be removed. It took quite a while on the phone to explain this simple situation, but it seemed to be resolved successfully—my bill was credited for $5, and I was told no further NextUp charges would appear on the bill.

The next month, there it is again: $5 for NextUp. I call again and explain it all again. I remember that call being particularly long, drawn out, and miserable. The rep I spoke with tried to tell me that the NextUp feature was not "optional," and that I had to have it. Obviously that was incorrect, but it took quite a while to convince him of that. I eventually got the same resolution—$5 credit, and a promise that the NextUp feature had been removed.

Next month, guess what. There it is: $5 for NextUp on my son's phone. I call again and explain it all again. Keep in mind that every one of these monthly calls takes up probably 45 minutes or more of my time, between waiting for the initial pickup, explaining the situation, then sometimes being forwarded to someone else and having to explain it all over again. I was told that the NextUp feature had been removed, but that it had been removed in the middle of a billing cycle, which was why it showed up on another bill. But next month, I was promised, it would definitely not appear. That seemed reasonable, and I was again credited $5.

Another month went by and here we are. There is a $5 charge for NextUp on my bill. I may have lost count somewhere here, but it's at least 4 consecutive months. This might be the fifth. At this point, I am simply NOT GOING TO CALL ANYMORE. I estimate I've spent at least 4 hours on the phone over this silly issue. I am simply going to pay $5 less than the total of my bill. If I'm billed again for NextUp next month, then I'm going to pay $10 less than the total bill. If I'm questioned, I'm going to send in a screenshot of this post. I'm hopeful that someone from AT&T will see this and go the extra mile to resolve this definitively.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

3 months ago

The forum is customers, and its not likely you will get an at&t response

Paying short will just get all service suspended. Not a good move as reconnect charges are expensive. Did your som indicate he would keep the phone the full 30 months? OR Did he indicate he would want to upgrade sooner? If it were the later, he was put on the right upgrade plan (its just a rip off - in my opinion)

You could pay off the phone and be done with it. Or file a BBB claim and someone from ATT upper management will contact you

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

​​@lizdance40 I've taken your advice to fill out a complaint with the BBB. Since I originally made this post and reached out to AT&T, I was contacted by someone on their "social media team" who was unable to help me. That person suggested I call AT&T's "advanced" technical support, and gave me a phone number. I instantly recognized the number as the same number I've been calling for many years (nothing "advanced" about it). When I begrudgingly called again, I was amazingly told that I should follow up at the store where the phone was purchased (which is 130 miles away!). I tried calling that store, but that was just another waste of time.

QuarryRye

ACE - Master

• 

3.2K Messages

3 months ago

You can't just get rid of a NextUp plan. The $5 a month is how your son is paying for the phone. The only way to get rid of it is to pay for the phone in full.
**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

Of course you can get rid of it. It’s an option, an add-on to your financed phone. We know this because there’s an option right on the website to cancel NextUp at any time, caveat being that you cannot add it back.

By the way, the reason I didn’t take that simple step of just canceling it is because of another caveat: Already billed months are non-refundable. I never wanted it in the first place, and I didn’t want to pay that $5. Hence my original call—a request to be credited for that. I figured at the same time I could just ask them to remove the plan from my bill.

I contacted AT&T through Facebook and directed them to this post. They responded quickly, so I’m hopeful for a resolution.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…