Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
R

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Jul 3, 2020 11:03 PM

Next Payments and BOGO Credits Advice Needed

My wife, daughter, son, father-in-law, and mother-in-law are all on a family shared plan.  My son and father-in-law did a BOGO deal back in 2018 for iPhone 8s (I think my son's is the "free" one) and are about 21 payments in.  Unfortunately we took my son's iPhone 8 off the charger the other day and it was very, very hot and wouldn't turn on.  It continued to heat up until it finally cooled, but we have not been able to turn it on again (in fact, there is no evidence of any life in it).  We are considering what to do next (possibly try replacing the battery, but I suspect the internals may have been damaged by the excessive heat).  We currently have his sim card in an old iPhone 5 (which is struggling), but I am now concerned how that might impact the BOGO credits (since his iPhone 8 is no longer listed on the account, but instead the iPhone 5 is).  Will we no longer receive the BOGO credits if we can't get his iPhone 8 active with his sim card?  He is not eligible for an upgrade since we are still paying his phone off, and we can't trade it in when we reach the 80% paid point since his phone doesn't work at all.  One option we considered was using my mother-in-laws "upgrade" (she is the only one eligible) to get a iPhone SE, and then put my son's sim card into that for him and have my mother-in-law continue using her current iPhone 6 (with her sim card, obviously).  If we took that approach (and we kept paying off the broken iPhone 8), would we still receive the BOGO credits?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.1K Messages

a month ago

Swapping his Sim card into a phone you already own has absolutely no effect on his installment plan or the promotional credits.  
Your fine.

if you pay off your sons phone, and the balance is on your bill, you will get no more credits.   (Simply put, promotions are for credits against an installment therefore , no installments, no credits.)

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

Thanks Liz.  We wouldn't pay his phone off early, we would just keep paying the Next paymenys until the 30 months are complete (even though he wouldn't be physically using the old iPhone 8 since it is broken).  So it sounds like, in that case, we would continue to receive the bill credits.  Appreciate the quick response!

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.1K Messages

Yes, you got it! 👍🏼

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question