Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
sincity33's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, February 21st, 2018 6:40 PM

New phone - extra charge

While ordering new phone - sales rep from ATT (web chat) told me my bill wouldn't change at all. Final bill remains same as of current bill for future as well except tax. So i went ahead and placed the order of new phone and paid 740$ appx on that day. 

After receiving the phone, I again contacted the ATT rep and confirmed would my bill change or not? He also confirmed - no and asked me to go ahead and activate the phone. So i went ahead and activated the phone.

Now each month, I am getting 15$ extra charge on the phone. I am about to file a claim against ATT in small claims court but my colleague told me to first try Notice of Dispute with AT&T. I have been with AT&T since it was Cingular but this is just unacceptable. Tell something at the time of sales even though asked multiple times and do something at the time of billing. 

The only reason, I agree for 2 year contract was because ATT sales rep agreed my bill wouldn't change at all. If he would have said it would change - I wouldn't agree for it. Sure i documented and saved the chat with 2 agents. 

I would like to get this fixed asap. Any help appreciated to resolve the issue OR providing details for Notice of Dispute. Can't believe AT&T has come to fraudulent techniques to increase the business or to compete against T-Mobile and Verizon. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

6 years ago

@sincity33 wrote:

While ordering new phone - sales rep from ATT (web chat) told me my bill wouldn't change at all. Final bill remains same as of current bill for future as well except tax. So i went ahead and placed the order of new phone and paid 740$ appx on that day. 

After receiving the phone, I again contacted the ATT rep and confirmed would my bill change or not? He also confirmed - no and asked me to go ahead and activate the phone. So i went ahead and activated the phone.

Now each month, I am getting 15$ extra charge on the phone. I am about to file a claim against ATT in small claims court but my colleague told me to first try Notice of Dispute with AT&T. I have been with AT&T since it was Cingular but this is just unacceptable. Tell something at the time of sales even though asked multiple times and do something at the time of billing. 

The only reason, I agree for 2 year contract was because ATT sales rep agreed my bill wouldn't change at all. If he would have said it would change - I wouldn't agree for it. Sure i documented and saved the chat with 2 agents. 

I would like to get this fixed asap. Any help appreciated to resolve the issue OR providing details for Notice of Dispute. Can't believe AT&T has come to fraudulent techniques to increase the business or to compete against T-Mobile and Verizon. 

What is the $15 difference for?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I am 'not' sure as it's a charge from AT&T but it seems like access charge to me. I was clearly told if I pay upfront my future 'final bill' would remain exact same i.e. approximate $94.xx. I did clearly asked before purchasing the phone - would i be charged anything extra and sales rep - said no. 

I had asked 3 freaking times before placing order on iPhone X and paying upfront for it. Now what's the back door charges of 15$? I would not have placed the order of phone if he had clearly told - my final bill would change. He was clearly mentioned that my monthly bill i.e. amount which I owe to ATT every month remains unchanged after the purchase of phone. So I went ahead and placed the order. 

Me:But my monthly billing would remain same, right since I am paying up front? I am fine sticking with you guys for 2 years or 20 years.

Henry: Thanks.
Henry: That's right.

-------------

Me: I just wanted to re-confirm my monthly billing would remain same right, since I am paying up front for the iPhone X?

Henry: That's completely right.

-----------

Again asking:

Me: Yes and monthly billing i.e. my current plan and all remain as is i.e. no change in my monthly billing as you confirmed twice above.

Henry: You're completely right.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

6 years ago

@sincity33 wrote:

I am 'not' sure as it's a charge from AT&T but it seems like access charge to me.

Well, the first step before getting upset and talking about courts and disputes is to look at your bill and figure out what changed. You have the capability to look at a bill before and a bill after and see exactly what the difference is. You might have received incorrect information, but there also might be an easy-to-fix error or a miscommunication. 

The only way to know is to actually read the bills. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

You people put an extra charge. If your ATT rept can't figure out the extra charge and keeps telling me 'not sure' how am I supposed to know?  Yes it's your AT&T representative who told me they can't do anything and file for dispute and hence the dispute. 

If AT&T representatives where helpful as you sound - problems wouldn't start to begin with. How do I know what exactly that's 15$ is for? Only AT&T rep can confirm on that. Are you one? Then give me your contact no # so I can call you up and you can fix that? 

Thanks

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

6 years ago

Unless you also added a line, there is no additional charge for buying you own phone.

If you have an existing line, you swap the SIM card or activate the one it came with on the existing number, and you pay for service only as you did before.  

I suspect you are paying $15 which is the net charge on th Mobile Share Value Plan, $40 less $25for being out of contract.  

I suggest you look at older bills for the charges on the line, then the new bill.

As you can see on line 1 of the same plan, I have a $40 line fee and $25 discount for being out of contract.  Before expanding the view, the charge is a net $15.

Unless you added a new line in error, you have no added charges.  

If ATT did add a line in error, it has no ETF or installments.  Ask them to cancel it.

EEFDF5B5-2661-4C0A-9BC5-5E2D80175491.jpeg

1 Attachment

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

6 years ago

@sincity33  This is not ATT Support.  We are fellow customers.  

Read your bill.  Unless you added a line, you are not being charged extra.

You are not under contract!   ATT does not offer contracts on phones.  When you buy a phone at full price you pay for service only.  

Service charges will be a data plan, a line fee for each device associated with its phone number and taxes and fees on the line access fee.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

6 years ago

Wait $740 for an iPhone X?   It’s a $1,000 and up phone.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 - Thanks for the pictures with explanation. That helps. Seems like 15$ access charge for the new phone then. Sales rep was clear on that day - no change in final bill since I am paying up front. Now 15$/month changes whole thing i.e. changes my final bill. 

I don't sell 1$ pen to someone and charge them 5$ refill every month on their credit card when I say whole pen cost is 1$. Sales rep needs to tell clearly final bill would change and not keep saying final bill wouldn't change. I was even clear with them with final amount so their is no room for confusion. Seems like bait and switch techniques to me. 

Is their anyway to fix this issue based on your past experience on this forum? OR Dispute and small claims court is the only way out? To me $94.xx =/= 94.xx + 15$. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

6 years ago

@sincity33

From what I’m gathering, you lost the “out of contract discount”. 

On the bill it’s labled  “discount for access” for $15 and now lost it because you got the iPhone for $740 rather than $1149.  

If you lost the discount, the rep did not know.  And it’s not fixable.  You got a break on the phone price.   Your line fee is and always was $40.  You lost a discount because you accepted a contract.  

This was the total premise of the Mobile Share value plan.  You either pay for the entire retail price, or you have a highe line fee.  

I see no solution other than returning the phone and paying full retail.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@sincity33

From what I’m gathering, you lost the “out of contract discount”. 

On the bill it’s labled  “discount for access” for $15 and now lost it because you got the iPhone for $740 rather than $1149.  

If you lost the discount, the rep did not know.  And it’s not fixable.  You got a break on the phone price.   Your line fee is and always was $40.  You lost a discount because you accepted a contract.  

This was the total premise of the Mobile Share value plan.  You either pay for the entire retail price, or you have a highe line fee.  

I see no solution other than returning the phone and paying full retail.

@sincity33

what did you pay 740 dollars for?  I like @lizdance40 say the math dont add up.....  The iPhone x is a 999 dollar phone just for 64gb if you got 128gb its 1149.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.