Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
VoiceOpinion

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Wed, Dec 23, 2015 2:12 AM

Monthly iPad

Good Evening,

Please read below & reply whether you have positive or negative comments.

I have been with AT&T for roughly fourteen years and was always very happy with them until recently.  I realized that they have been illegally charging me $30+ dollars for 19 months for an iPad Mini2 that I bought & returned within a day.  I have multiple devices but finally caught it.  When I brought it to their attention they gave me a $90 credit.  Quick match 19 months multiplied by $30 a month equals $570.  

This should be a simple fix for AT&T since they illegally (or accidentally) charged me for 19 months.  However, I had to jump through hoops over and over again and then contact the Apple store in Charleston (Apple was extremely helpful) where I originally bought the device then returned it within 24 hours (again never even used the data plan).

I have submitted all paperwork & receipts to them but they still will not issue credit for an iPad device I never used.  Anyone have this same problem with them?

We currently have 2 active iPhones & 2 active iPads and AT&T Uverse.  I will be selling my AT&T stock since I see that they are now fradulantenly & inaccurately billing customers.  This was a simple solution but unfortunately their organization is headed in wrong direction.

Thank you for taking the time to read & reply to this post!  So far, AT&T says it is in a superviso's hand.  I went from being one of the biggest AT&T supporters to an extremely diasatified customer based purely on principle & improper business practices.

Thanks,

Jimmy

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.6K Messages

5 years ago

Apple didn't put through the cancelation correctly and you didn't catch the mistake.

ATT gives you 2 billing periods to bring any billing errors to their attention.  They will not credit any old errors.  It's the account owners responsibility to catch errors and ask for a fix.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

5 years ago

Ace,

Total B$,

I am on autopay & have had it set up & never have had to worry.  It is my fault that I got billed illegally!  Read the fine print!  If my compNy started invoicing you for a product that you never owned you fell that it sould be your responsibility to pay for my mistake?  Please I understand people make errors but OWN IT!  Love that Ace "Employee" of AT&T reply. 

Ace,

Hypothetically, If you banked at B of A & all of sudden they decided to randomly deduct $50 every month and somehow you missed it for 4 moths.  I assume that would be Ace's fault because he made the mistake of opening an account?  Not legal to steal no matter how you spin it?  Seriously, valid point A employee.  Come much much stronger then some bogus B$!  Interested to see your boss's response Ace:)

Happy Holiday's!

David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

Every bill is available online and in paper if you decide to get a paper bill. Every item, every charge, every red cent is detailed and available for all customers to view. I understand that not getting the entire amount refunded is frustrating but when we are talking about buying and returning something from a non-AT&T owned entity any consumer, regardless of what it is...cellular, banking, healthcare etc...actually confirming the cancellation on the bill within a few billing cycles seems rational. No company with millions and millions of customers can automatically catch every billing error and as a consumer even I know that confirmation with the readily available resources needs to be done. Plenty of my bills are paid automatically but that isn't absolution of all worries. Your B of A hypothetical has one important statement..."somehow you missed it" And this is why all these entities make detailed billing and statements available to their customers. 

The wireless service agreement states:

1.4   How Will I Receive My Bill? What Charges Am I Responsible For? How Much Time Do I Have To Dispute My Bill?

You will receive an electronic (paperless) bill at AT&T’s online account management site unless you tell us you want a paper bill. You will be given the option to choose electronic billing or paper billing when you purchase service. Each month we will send you an email notice when your electronic bill is available online. This will be sent to your official email address on file with AT&T. You are required to keep your email address current and to notify us immediately of any change in your email address. You always have the option of switching back to a paper bill by changing your billing preferences at AT&T’s online account management site. You will not receive a paper bill in the mail unless you expressly request one.

You are responsible for paying all charges for or resulting from Services provided under this Agreement, including any activation fee that may apply to each voice or data line. You will receive monthly bills that are due in full.

IF YOU DISPUTE ANY CHARGES ON YOUR BILL, YOU MUST NOTIFY US IN WRITING AT AT&T BILL DISPUTE, 1025 LENOX PARK, ATLANTA, GA 30319 WITHIN 100 DAYS OF THE DATE OF THE BILL OR YOU’LL HAVE WAIVED YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE THE BILL AND TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY LEGAL ACTION RAISING SUCH DISPUTE.

http://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement-list.html

Hey, I totally understand that a billing error that results in a huge monetary loss is awful. The service agreement is clear in regards to these issues. No carrier wants to see a customer leave over a billing error however there is a timeframe in the binding agreements by which these must be disputed. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

5 years ago

Understood your trained "boxed corporate" reply.  I run a business & this will get interesting based purely on my principle issue.  I have friends that sell to AT&T some of their accessories etc.,

Hypothetically, Let's say I bought one of those small drones at the AT&T Store but my kid did not like it so I returned it the next day.  If American Express charged me for the next year a $9 charge that I never truly owned, then under your philisophy it is not American Expresses fault?  It must be AT&T's fault (using your process) because a sales person made an order entry error at the store when setting up a plan that was never actual purchased. 

The truth: AMEX would reimburse me without turning this into an even small issue.  

An AT&T employees admitted fault and that I was owed a credit of roughly $475 after AT&T issued your canned "3 month policcy"  Check your phone records & reference numbers.

I will escalate this to the top just to prove a point.  Simply Fix the issue.  I do not even care about the money at this point.  Social Media will love it & the Dogs of the Dow will like the stock at first in theory b/c dividend yield % will rise but........  

Stay Tuned.  We are only warming up since everyone continues to point the finger other than at the Company (AT&T) that created the issue.

When did I sign a Contract saying I am responsible for AAPL employees?  Seriously?  

Thanks,

Jimmy H

billsite34

Guru

• 

321 Messages

5 years ago

Did you set up the data plan or did the Apple store do it for you? Reading from your first post," However, I had to jump through hoops over and over again and then contact the Apple store in Charleston (Apple was extremely helpful) where I originally bought the device then returned it within 24 hours (again never even used the data plan)." your complaint should be with Apple for not cancelling your plan. If Apple didn't contact AT&T they wouldn't know you returned it! If you set up your own data plan through AT&T did you contact them and remove it?

Bill

David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

First of all, my responses in this thread are as an end user and customer just like everyone else. So now that it's established that I'm merely chiming in with my consumer facing opinion...You neglected to check your bill for 19 months.

Hey I get it. I totally understand it's frustrating and demoralizing to be financially impacted by a billing mistake. All the hypotheticals in the world and they all will contain the same common theme. Someone didn't verify their bill for 4 months, a year, etc. American Express probably has a billing dispute timeframe upon which the right to dispute a charge is forfeit. Many companies enact these policies. Their Purchase Protection option gives you 90s days. I know this because I am an AmEx customer as well. With any company it all boils down to catching the mistake within a timely fashion. Computerized systems are not fool proof. Dealing with a third party like Apple is not without risk of error. At what point does a billing mistake become negligence on the part of the consumer? This is why companies have ironclad agreements and the information is readily available for dissection by the end user. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

5 years ago

Great question?  When does it become neglience on my part since I was being charged improperly?  Someone else actually used the same iPad with a data plan.  

I run a large company.  I do not have time every month to go line by line to ensue that every tax, charge, expense, is correct.  My admins also do not have time to check every line item?  Do you do that every month?  At what point is charging someone without their knowledge or approval, legal?  What would happen if every President of every company had to check every minor expense?  

It is $475 so I am not worried about the money or looking for a lawsuit.  I simply want AT&T to own it & credit my account over time or at one time (I do not care).  

How many hours are you wasting messing with a small dollar amount? How often do you just delete questions on forums because it is not in favorable of what your boss wants to hear etc.

Have you looked me up yet?  Then have a supervisor contact me, please?

I have given ATT many opportunities to simply correct it but no you all continue to deny any rong doing, correct?  Check my records then pleas call me and feel free to record our conversation, if you feel neccessary?  

All this over $475?  

Thanks,

Jimmy H

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

5 years ago

So, is that an excuse to illegally charge me for a product I did not own?
Apple did not charge me every month? They gave me a credit the day I
returned it.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

5 years ago

ATT has all the info & serial #. Do you not feel it is your responsibility
instead of continuing to deny any fault? Who charged me every month
without my knowledge? You read every line item of everything? AT&T sold
same device to someone else so basically double billed for same device? Is
that even legal? Seriously? OWN IT!

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

5 years ago

I guess you must be a lawyer?
David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

As stated this is a user to user forum and you must direct all issues by calling customer service at 1-800-331-0500. You may ask for a supervisor and see if they can resolve this issue but the facts still stand. There is no legality here because you signed the user agreement and you're bound to it. You forfeited all recourse by allowing the error to continue and not verifying the correctness of your bill. You even stated you returned the device to APPLE, not AT&T. We have no bearing on what they choose to do with the device. If they refurbish it and resell it, that's their perogative. 

If this is a personal account it doesn't matter if someone is a busy executive or nanny or bus driver. All terms and conditions are readily available and the bills are made available for viewing and dissection on a monthly basis. Once again this is just a user forum and you must direct all issues to customer service by calling them. 

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

5 years ago

I am back to being a Huge fan of AT&T & it simply took one person (that I am aware of) to make things right!  I have been with AT&T since late 2001 and even after the changes over the years with T to Cingular back to AT&T, I must say I am still very satisfied with their commitment.  

If you feel that something is not right, voice your opinion and someone will understand.  

How many customers can say they have been truly loyal to a brand (service providers, banks, retail appareal, etc.) for 14 years???  

Thank you JP for doing what is right!!  It has opened my eyes to ensure I analyze my own "protocols" inside of my companies organization.  

I am only posting to this forum one last time to give praise to a few that grasped that customer experiences/feelings most of the time will trump money.  

Happy New Years!  Cheers to the next 14 years!  

Thank you for making it right!

jimmy

Scott_H

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

I have also been with AT&T for what seems like forever with both business and personal cellular accounts.  Over the years I have had a few issues with AT&T but have never had a problem getting them resolved in an efficient and timely manner.  I have found AT&T customer service agents easy to talk to and work with.  They have always been professional and courteous to me.  AT&T has always been more than fair with me on resolving any issue I was having.  They usually go out of their way on resolving the issue then give me a little extra for my trouble.  I have received this great customer service support in AT&T corporate stores and over the phone.  I have nothing but good to say about AT&T and their high level of customer service.  As long as I have been with AT&T I have never considered leaving AT&T and changing cellular carriers for any reason.  Keep up the good work.  Thanks again!

Get started...

Ask a new question