Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Dec 4, 2014 3:34 AM

MobileShare charge complaint

I have been an AT&T wireless client since 1992 and was dismayed at my experience over the last 3 days.  

We have 10 devices on a Mobile Share plan and upgraded 2 of our phones on Sunday.  2 days after the upgrade I received a text stating "Upgrading (my number) on a 2-year wireless agreement increases the Mobile Share Value smartphone access charge for this line to $40/mo.  Other charges apply. To learn how to keep your Mobile Service Value discount or for more details visit att.com/planchange."  

Any required change to my plan was NOT disclosed to me at anytime during the purchase.  The change will cost me $180 per year.  Interestingly, it had only been a matter of days since I had received a text that I could upgrade my data to 30mb a month for no additional charge.

As a result of receiving the text I called customer service to inquire about this additional charge.  It took me 10 minutes to talk to the first customer service agent who ultimately, and without letting me know it was happening, dumped me back into a queue and 5 minutes later my call was answered by another representative in collections.  That rep told me there were no additional charges on my bill for the Mobile Share Value access. I finally asked to talk to her manager and her manager confirmed the additional charges would show up on my next bill. She did credit the upgrade charges for the 2 phones, but since that bill was not available I have to call back to ensure that happens.  

After that she informed me she would have to transfer me to Customer Care to take care of the Mobile Share Value charge.  After waiting 10 minutes a Customer Care I explained my situation for the 3rd time and after putting me on hold for 5 minutes he came back and said he was sorry, but there the best he could do was to give me a $25 one time credit.  After confirming he could do nothing and having him apologize 3 additional times I asked to speak to his manager.  His manager was very curt, patronizing and completely unhelpful.  He informed me that the change was actually a discount that was going away because I upgraded the phones so it really wasn't an increase in fees.  After much back and forth he told me if I wanted to stay on the original Mobile Share Value plan either 1. I could take my phone back and sign up for a different plan or 2. take my phone back and pay full retail price for the "device".

To reiterate I was NEVER told that I would be charged $180 a year when I upgraded my phone and after spending over 1.5 hours talking to AT&T there was nothing you can do about it.  I have been a client for over 22 years, upgraded countless phones and have never had a problem like this.  I feel that the way this charge applied was at best misleading, at worst unethical.  

I would like to know if there is anything ATT can do to rectify the situation?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

6 years ago

@ClientSince1192 wrote:

To reiterate I was NEVER told that I would be charged $180 a year when I upgraded my phone and after spending over 1.5 hours talking to AT&T there was nothing you can do about it.  I have been a client for over 22 years, upgraded countless phones and have never had a problem like this.  I feel that the way this charge applied was at best misleading, at worst unethical.  

I would like to know if there is anything ATT can do to rectify the situation?

While you may have been a customer for the last 22 years, you were not using the Mobile Share plan for that entire time.  The new Mobile Share plans with discounts for being off contract were just introduced about 9-10 months ago.  When you switched to that plan you get teh discount for being out of contract, and as a part of the details of that plan, you lose the discount when you sign a new service contract.  While not everyone read the details of the new plan when it came out, the information was always there, and the discount was clearly marked on your monthly bill.  When you signed a new service contract, you were no longer eligible for the discount, as they tried to explain to you over the phone.  You say that you were "never told" but if youhad read the details of the plan agreement when you switched plans, you would have learned the information that you missed.  Would a bank change your mortgage for you if you didn't read the details about your mortgage payments when you found that your variable rate interest could go up 2% every six months?  I suspect that they would tell you that there was nothing that they could do since you signed the contract, and that is essentially what AT&T is telling you now that you accepted the service agreemtent on the Mobile Share plan when you changed your account to the new plan earlier this year.

Since you are within the 14 days "buyers remorse" period, you could return the phones and cancel your new service contract so you keep your discounts if you so desire.  If you want a new phone though, you would need to either lose the discount on your service to get a discounted phone, or lose the discounted phone prices to keep the discount on your service.  You have one other option, which is to buy your off-contract phone form some other source and not get it from AT&T, so you could still keep the discount on your service, and not have to pay AT&T for the new phone at all.  You would need to do your full comparisons to see which is the cheapest/best option for you.  Since you mention the $180/year, that tells me that you are on teh Mobile Share plans and that you have less than 10GB of data each month.  In that case, it is probably only about $25 per year difference between paying the higher service fees and paying the higher phone cost.

The real problem that you are encountering is that you changed your service plan and assumed that you could jsut save money every month and nothing else would change.  That assumption was in error, and you have now learned that the change you missed when you changed your plan was that the discount for not being under contract goes away when you sign a new service contract.  For years AT&T always sold phones at a subsidized price and then charged more for service to recover that money they had to pay to subsidize your phone purchase, it's just that the price was not documented and you always paid it, even if your contract expired and you didn't upgrade your phone right away.  Now with the Mobile Share plans, you don't pay that extra service fee all the time, and you get the discount when you are no longer under contract, and it is even documented on your monthly bill as an out of contract discount, so now it is clearer to you that you have always been paying for your phone one way or another.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

6 years ago

When I upgraded one of my lines, the rep did everything on an iPad and it instructed her to advise me of the changes that getting the subsidized upgrade would cost. I already knew ahead of time about the out of contract discount on the Mobile Share Data plan so I was educated and knew the costs.

I don't understand why all reps don't do the same thing. I went to a corporate store. I don't know if the authorized retailers are the problem or there are just lazy reps that don't want to take the time to advise clients of the repercussions of a subsidized upgrade while on the Mobile Share Data plans. 

All the plans state that  they are for out of contract lines. Consumers should educate themselves a little and that could alleviate the mis-information that the customer service reps cause.

Unfortunately, when you get a subsidized upgrade, you lose the discount for the length of the contract.

AT&T (and most of the other providers) are no longer subsidizing phone costs. One way or another, you will pay for the cost of the phone, either by buying through NEXT, in which you pay full price for the phone over the length of your agreement but keep the "out of contract discount", or buy paying the subsidized phone price, plus the $40 upgrade fee, plus the loss of the out of contract discount. It will be your decision which way to purchase.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

you are just bunch of crooks !

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

my bill keeps getting higher and higher I used to pay $ 64 a month now its seventy something dollars , keep on and I'll go with CSPIRE snd thats a promise
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@charlesIROCZ28 wrote:
my bill keeps getting higher and higher I used to pay $ 64 a month now its seventy something dollars , keep on and I'll go with CSPIRE snd thats a promise

Charles, that's not really a question. This is the community forum (customer to customer help).

What's your plan?  How much data/minutes? Maybe we can help you find a better plan...

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

yall need to get my bill back down to where it used to be8

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

or ill drop yall like a hot potato
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@charlesIROCZ28 wrote:
yall need to get my bill back down to where it used to be8

Not helpful Charles.  How much data do you use? How many lines? You've got to help us to help you...

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.5K Messages

4 years ago

@charlesIROCZ28

You are writing to fellow customers.  This is NOT AT&T.   

We cant see your bill.  Taxes fees and other charges have increased over the years.  If you think a new plan with CSpire is cheaper (probably is not) then feel free to leave.  We don't care, this is not our business.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Have you been able to get this cleared up? I am having the exact same problem and my initial services with AT&T were all set up over the telephone so I was NEVER told about this. The fact is I had to get a new phone because the Note 4 I purchased from AT&T quit working and the insurance deductible was to high.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

My husband bought a new phone in December. He was never notified of the change to our plan either. I have talked to several att reps who promise it will be fixed for the next month only to find it higher every time. I'm so tired of this, who had time to be emailing and calling using up my lunch hour and data since they changed it. Most of the data overage is used calling att or emailing them, them they want to charge us? 🙄
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.5K Messages

4 years ago

@MIMIQL  Now I call bull......  calling ATT on a current plan is free, and included.  

Email and messages use tiny amounts of data.  

To see what used your data, open the setting app on your phones.  Then select data/cellular usage.   Then scroll down to see what used your data.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Get started...

Ask a new question