For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
mbilly's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, January 25th, 2015 6:00 PM

Mobile Share Value Pricing Does Not Make Sense and the Billing is Unnecessarily Complicated

I thought when I upgraded my phone that $40 for 3GB shared across all 3 of my lines was a great deal.  My 2 kids mostly use wifi, so I didn't need 2GB or 3GB of data on each phone so it really bothered me that I was forced into those data plan simply by giving my kids an iPhone.

Before I switched over to the MSVP, I paid $45 for my talk line + $20 for Android 2GB data and $30 for unlimited shared text for all lines.  Then I also paid $9.99 for each my kids talk lines + $30 for iPhone 3GB data.  So, collectively we were getting 8GB of data for about $175/month with rollover talk minutes.  We didn't use 8GB or that much talk, so thinking that dropping to 3GB would work for me - I signed up.

Now, I see that my kids plans are $40/month + $15/month credit... I think great, their overall price came down to $25/month from $40 - perfect, makes sense and can't beat that for talk, text, and data - right?  Then I see my charges.. $40/month for the MSVP 3GB + $40/month for ANOTHER MSVP for my Android + the $15/month credit.  What???? Why do I get 2 charges for a plan?  Isn't everything supposed to be all wrapped up into one?

How about a bill that looks like this???

Line 1 (Primary) - $65 - includes unlimited talk, text, and shared (or unlimited) data

Line 2 (Secondary) - $25 - includes unlimited talk, text, and shared (or unlimited) data

Line 3 (Secondary) - $25 - includes unlimited talk, text, and shared (or unlimited) data

Taxes & Fees (all lines) - $18

SUBTOTAL = $

Then, tack on Next Pricing and discounts, whatever.

TOTAL = $

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO COMPLICATED?  Seriously.  I feel like I am getting ripped off because of the complexity.  And I'm pretty sure that I am not getting as much value for my dollar any more.  I'm not sure that moving the MSVP was actually a deal.  Please quit promoting it as such.  The only gain here - I am no longer under contract to you AT&T - which is pretty sad because I have been a loyal, loyal customer to you for over 10 years with literally no complaints.  OMG My bill does not need to be 6 pages long without itemization with charges that look like they are duplicates.  Where is the art of simplicity?  and Where is the value in customer relationships?  Can't you give a discount for how long I've been a customer?  Can't you give me an incentive to stay with your rather than confuse me to the point of leaving?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

If you look at your bill details it might clear it up.

Your main line also has the data pool added to its charges.
Your line. $40 for your pool of data.
$40 - $15 credit for being out of contract.
Total. $65

Since you have a pool under 10 GBs your line discount is $15 per line.
Purchasing a phone on a 2 year contract or the Next plan would increase your bill.

The reason for the complication is AT&T decided to offer it all ala' carte to be fair to all customers.
You may remember the old days where your line was $40 a month even if you paid off your phone and went to a month to month, no contract, you still paid $40.
Now you have the option to keep the monthly bill low if you keep your phones or buy them elsewhere.

Hope that helps explain.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

The way mobile share works is one charge for shared data and then an access fee for each line sharing the data. Your are not being charged for 2 mobile share plans, the bill is simply showing the 2 charges for your line, the shared data ($40) and the access fee ($40 - $15). If they did not show both charges, then customers would be asking why am I charged $65 when the 3GB plan is $40.

As to whether switching to mobile share was worth it or not, you said you were paying $175/mo. With the 3GB plan and 3 lines, you should be now paying $115/ mo, in other words a $60 per month savings. Over the course of a 2 year contract, that's $1440 in savings. That sounds worth it to me.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.