Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Help for account, billing & more
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Fri, Feb 21, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

8 y مضت

CORRECT....in a FEW years there will be NO MORE subsidized phones for ANY provider.  (T-Mobile is ALREADY there)  And the guy would have SAVED more money if he chose the Next program.

The UNFAIR issue here is that AT&T is UNFAIRLY tricking people to switch from their OLD 2 year plan to "SAVE" money now, but pay more later if you don't choose the Next Plan.  It's like we are being FORCED...PUSHED and SHOVED into the Next Plan.  They didn't do this when Unlimited Internet went away.  (They did not reduce prices then to play this BAIT and SWITCH game)

This time around, they said let's REDUCE our prices so that people can change to the Mobile Share Plan.  Sure they will save money now, but in the long run they ALL will have to switch to the Next Plan or PAY MORE to stay in the 2 year Plan.  Doesn't that sound scheming to you?

AND I KNEW it...I saw it a MILE away.  I wondered why they always kept pushing the Next Plan on me...over...and over....and over.  I kept saying "NO"  Until I said...."SC#EW IT, I am going to take advantage of AT&T before they take adavantage of me and THEN LEAVE"

So...I got 2 early upgrades.....$200 in bill credit. and 2 FREE cases for my 2 upgrade phones. This happened since February of this year.

I said..."GOTCHA"....in the END, because I switched to the MSV my last 3 months with a $10 credit every month.  (I saved $20-40 a month for those 3 months). Knowing 100% I was leaving once the iPhones got released.

When time came....i told them....."I am not going to pay $210 a month (not including tax), when my bill has always been 4 phones for $165 (including TAX)"  They didn't want to budge on letting me KEEP the $25 discount so I left for T-Mobile.  4 Phones $165 (including TAX)  I now save $65 a month being in T-Mobile compared to the price I would have to pay if I stayed with AT&T.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 y مضت

I am a long time ATT customer (and a shareholder) and have always liked the company and recommended it to others.  Last March I signed up for the Family Plan after talking to a salesperson-$10 a month each for 3 lines and $100 a month for data.  The plan seemed so good I convinced my mom to give up her company and join our plan.  Well, what they didn't tell me was that in the fine print it states that if there are any "changes" to the plan-i.e. you get a new phone-the bill automatically reverts to $40 a month for that line.  My son lost his phone and we bought a new one, and my mother wanted an iPhone, so we got them-unknowing we are now committed to $40 a month for the next 2 years.  We only had the Family Plan for a month on one line.  I feel like this is a bait and switch and I am furious.  I called and was told there is nothing the customer service people are allowed to do to help except for remove the one time upgrade fee.  No one told me about this and clearly ATT no longer cares about my business as a customer.  I have two other phones about to go off contract and now there is no incentive for me to stay with the company.  I will take my business elswhere as soon as possible and I will never recommend them again.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

12K Messages

8 y مضت

@leverson37 wrote:

I am a long time ATT customer (and a shareholder) and have always liked the company and recommended it to others.  Last March I signed up for the Family Plan after talking to a salesperson-$10 a month each for 3 lines and $100 a month for data.  The plan seemed so good I convinced my mom to give up her company and join our plan.  Well, what they didn't tell me was that in the fine print it states that if there are any "changes" to the plan-i.e. you get a new phone-the bill automatically reverts to $40 a month for that line.  My son lost his phone and we bought a new one, and my mother wanted an iPhone, so we got them-unknowing we are now committed to $40 a month for the next 2 years.  We only had the Family Plan for a month on one line.  I feel like this is a bait and switch and I am furious.  I called and was told there is nothing the customer service people are allowed to do to help except for remove the one time upgrade fee.  No one told me about this and clearly ATT no longer cares about my business as a customer.  I have two other phones about to go off contract and now there is no incentive for me to stay with the company.  I will take my business elswhere as soon as possible and I will never recommend them again.

Correction, it's not "any changes", it's if you buy a discounted phone and agree to a two-year contract. 

If you pay for a phone outright or use the NEXT plan, you keep the discount on the service. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 y مضت

Dont feel too bad. They lied to me also
deenalove08

Guru

• 

901 Messages

8 y مضت

This is not a bait and switch.  They have had this promotion for sometime now.  If you are under contract you pay $40/month.  If you are on the NEXT program or own your phone you get a $15 discount if you are on a shared plan under 10GB or you get a $25 discount if you are on a 10GB or higher.  This is per line.  Sometimes the customer needs to do some research before making a purchase.  Just because you didn't look into this before hand, doesn't make AT&T the bad person.  If you have had the phones for under 14 days (I believe that is the return policy) return them.  If you go onto the NEXT program you will still have the $15/month per line.  You will just have the price of the phone split up and added to you bill.

bizhui

Scholar

• 

457 Messages

8 y مضت

A lot of us are in your situation. So, I'm not suprise to see you to become one of the victim.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 y مضت

I would find that an acceptable answer if ANYONE I spoke to at ATT had explained the consequences of the change to me ahead of time.  No one ever said my monthly bill would change, even though I spoke to customer service several times before the purchase.  So yes, it does seem to be a deliberate oversight

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 y مضت

After this experience I would never sign up for any new services with this company.  The Next program sounds like a horrible deal for someone like me who hangs on to their phone for years and isn't very interested in upgrades.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 y مضت

Had the same experience today after talking to the Customer Service Rep. My simple question to them was: I want to reduce my monthly bill. Basically, I have 4 lines two of which are unlimited data and two which are not. Unfortunately, the unlimited lines don't get much use (wife and I work from home) but the other two on my kids' phones ever since they started using instagram they are sucking down 3gb data a month each. I called AT&T and since they couldn't switch the unlimited data plans over to their phones (was worth a try) the "best" solution I was told was to switch to the 10gb shared family plan, then like a car sales man was told "And guess what? That saves you $47 a month! Do you want to switch now?". When I looked at the average data usage a month (about 7GB) I weighed everything up and thought this made perfect sense, and so then started the plan change process, and stopped when I read the fine print:

"When upgrading to a two year wireless contract you are no longer eligible for the Mobile Share Value monthly discounts of $15 on plans lower than 10GB, or $25 on 10GB or higher plans. To receive this monthly discount, upgrade with AT&T Next℠, bring your own smartphone, or pay full price for your new smartphone."

Ah-hah. And there's the gotcha. So by the time all the phones on my account are due an upgrade I'll be paying $50-60 more a month to what I'm paying now. 

Remember, my initial request was to REDUCE my monthly bill. I currently pay $259/mo ($300/mo after fees and taxes) for 4 iphones and even though I was being sold the 10GB family plan to SAVE MONEY, in two years I'd actually be paying MORE and getting less data to boot. But this was NOT disclosed in the conversation with AT&T at all. So naturally I feel like I was being forced/scammed into a new contract that on face value looks like it's saving me money but long term will cost me more.

And so begins the search for a new carrier...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 y مضت

At least you managed to figure it out before making the change, unlike me

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

8 y مضت

"If you pay for a phone outright or use the NEXT plan, you keep the discount on the service."

so.....OPTIONS

Keep my CRAPPY phone and keep AT&T Service

- Pay $650 for a new phone for X-Mass.

- Pay $25 more a month (for 2 years) + the stupid $40 upgrade FEE.

- Pay $18-$27.50 a month with the "Next Plan" (No "contract", but if you leave before you finish paying the monthly installments, they report you to the credit buereu)

- or Get the[Please keep it courteous]

In ALL the options above....AT&T WINS

They STILL tricked you to change to UNLIMMITED TALK (which no one uses)...UNLIMITED TEXT (which no one uses)...and LIMITED DATA (which EVERYONE USES)

AND...The door is OPEN to make even MORE money for AT&T with DATA overages.  Verizon and Sprint are doing the same.  Only T-Mobile gives you TRUE piece of MIND.

I chose get the [Please keep it courteous]  AT&T still won my $300 cancelation fee, but T-Mobile re-embursed me back.  Now AT&T lost a 14 year LOYAL CUSTOMER.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 y مضت

I am furious with ATT as well... 15 yr customer.  Went to upgrade husband's phone for Father's Day and was nervous about the plan being changed.. had the Target sales rep. call corporate to CONFIRM nothing would change..nope, nothing will change, just pay the upgrade fee.  Got my first bill $15 more... texted it to the rep.  Oh, sorry, your 10 days are up, nothing we can do.  Sales Rep. knew nothing about this lost discount and not even she could get them to change a thing.  After many frustrating complaints to ATT and Target, I gave up.  This is the biggest LEGAL LYING I have ever seen.  Had I known about the $15/mo, I would not have upgraded his phone.  Their lies cost me $360 (24 month contract).  I will never believe anything they say again... they previously lied about providing a "free" microcell to help boost the signal.  I had to fight with a text I was given to prove it was a "free" offer and it caused me much grief and frustration.  They are simply liars and deceivers.  Look forward to cancelling my other three ATT phones and internet service shortly.  I'm too disgusted to stay with ATT.

Observer

• 

1 Message

8 y مضت

Went to the local AT&T store yesterday to upgrade my sons iphone 4 8gb.. Was going to upgrade him to the iPhone 5s for his xmas gift, his line has been out of contract for more then 6 months but I have purposely waited until xmas to upgrade, however was told that it would add $25 to my bill a month because within the last year had switched over to the share plan, had a known then I wouldn't be able to upgrade any of our lines without adding extra costs later I would've never switched my plan. The purpose of going to the share plan was to save money, not add more cost to my bill when we wanted to upgrade.... The last contract is up in July on my plan, will be going with another company then. I feel like their aren't any options at AT&T without paying out the butt.... DONE.
bizhui

Scholar

• 

457 Messages

8 y مضت

If you are on the old type of plan, then you can do upgrade over the phone, but you will have to wait for the phone to arrive in the mail. If not, att is not really a good option any more. The premium you paid does not get you the service that you are looking for.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.7K Messages

8 y مضت

@wjc7777 wrote:
Went to the local AT&T store yesterday to upgrade my sons iphone 4 8gb.. Was going to upgrade him to the iPhone 5s for his xmas gift, his line has been out of contract for more then 6 months but I have purposely waited until xmas to upgrade, however was told that it would add $25 to my bill a month because within the last year had switched over to the share plan, had a known then I wouldn't be able to upgrade any of our lines without adding extra costs later I would've never switched my plan. The purpose of going to the share plan was to save money, not add more cost to my bill when we wanted to upgrade.... The last contract is up in July on my plan, will be going with another company then. I feel like their aren't any options at AT&T without paying out the butt.... DONE.

You have another choice and that is to buy the new phone on the Next plan which is basically paying full price for the phone but paid over time. You can also pay full price for the phone upfront. Either way will work out costing less than the 2 year discounted price since you won't lose the $25 mobile share discount.

On the old plans, you got a discount on a new phone. On the mobile share plans, you get a discount on your service, not the phone. If you look at how much you pay over the course of 2 years, most people will still pay less with the new plans even when buying a phone at full price than the old plans with the discounted phones and 2 year contract. 

If you do decide to switch carriers, you will find the other carriers are doing the exact same thing. Some of them don't even offer a 2 year discounted phone anymore. All of the carriers are getting out of the subsidized phone business, paying full price for a new phone is becoming the new normal.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.