Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

Most of the carriers are doing away with the subsidized phone plans. What should AT&T do that could make you understand that if you use a subsidized upgrade, you costs go up. The ads specifically state that it is OUT OF CONTRACT PRICING. Does no one understand what the means?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@kdfederer wrote:
Most of the carriers are doing away with the subsidized phone plans. What should AT&T do that could make you understand that if you use a subsidized upgrade, you costs go up. The ads specifically state that it is OUT OF CONTRACT PRICING. Does no one understand what the means?

I wonder how many of the people complaining they weren't told actually were told but either didn't understand or didn't listen? 

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

10 years ago

When you upgrade its like signing a new 2 year agreement, well in reality that's exactly what your doing.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had the same issue with them some smart people here think it is not deceiving for them to advertise it that way saying in their commercial that you can just add a line for $15 and then when you get your bill you will be charged $40 per line. I actually sign up for in the actual store and it was never explained to me that additional line will cost as much. I spoke with their executive customer service representative and he said that he can't do nothng about and he said that he received a lot of complaints regarding the same issue. I filed a complaint to Better Business Bureau and Federal Trade COmmission so they can look into this matter.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

EVERY ad has a disclaimer that the pricing is for out of contract phone lines (which meets the FTC advertising guidelines). If you don't understand what that means, you should ask. And if you don't read the small print, then shame on you.
It seems like everyone can find this forum if they have s problem, but don't check things out before they sign on the dotted line.
Those issues have been discussed here for months. Everyone that is on this site knows that if you get a subsidized upgrade, your phone plan goes up.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@rgcentry wrote:

It's basically a scam. It is not explained and it's just a way to trick you into changing plans. They should just say you will save money UNTIL you want to upgrade and then you are screwed. For someone who has been loyal for 14 years, it's disappointing to say the least. We are iphone users, with 4 iPhones and one ipad and we were looking forward to the release later this year; however, we may have to look into getting new phones with new carrier. AT&T should be ashamed of themselves. Things like this are what's wrong with the world.. it's greed, plain and simple. 

No it is not a scam, it is documented on the website and it is documented on the tv adds on the final display

0_MS_40.PNG

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@rgcentry wrote:

You all should be ashamed. You know it's misleading and basically a scam..a trick. Greed is the downfall of many.. Remember that. 

final word - read the agreement before you sign it, makes for less surprises that if you just blinding sign.Not reading the terms is neither a scam nor misleading

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

beware of the mobile share billing!   I just upgraded one phone of the four and now it is no longer $160, instead they are going to bill me an addtional $25 for the upgraded line. 

All I can get out of ATT is that "you signed the contract".  and they are correct, Smiley Sad

Well Dummy me for not reading the extra small print.       What the biggest urk is, is that the offer is still at their web site to new customer at $160. .   I have never never never had an issue with contracts be upcharged before and I have been a customer since 2001.   So this was unexpected!

So I will take my $500 monthly I pay for all my services  and move on. I will just have to suck it up until all of the  four lines contract expires. 3 will be with in a few months and I will adjust my plan as they expire until I am down to the one, which will expire in only 22 months. 

hum.... loose $500 monthly over a $25 monthly issue.  I believe that is a net lose of $475 monthly.  

just be aware of upgrading phones on this plan! Smiley Frustrated    

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@jhcoburn wrote:

beware of the mobile share billing!   I just upgraded one phone of the four and now it is no longer $160, instead they are going to bill me an addtional $25 for the upgraded line. 

All I can get out of ATT is that "you signed the contract".  and they are correct, Smiley Sad

Well Dummy me for not reading the extra small print.       What the biggest urk is, is that the offer is still at their web site to new customer at $160. .   I have never never never had an issue with contracts be upcharged before and I have been a customer since 2001.   So this was unexpected!

So I will take my $500 monthly I pay for all my services  and move on. I will just have to suck it up until all of the  four lines contract expires. 3 will be with in a few months and I will adjust my plan as they expire until I am down to the one, which will expire in only 22 months. 

hum.... loose $500 monthly over a $25 monthly issue.  I believe that is a net lose of $475 monthly.  

just be aware of upgrading phones on this plan! Smiley Frustrated    

Yes, the "upcharge" you mention is documented all over the AT&T Mobile Share site because it is a new feature.  So many people have been complaining that they finished their 2 year contract and didn't get a new phone, but still had to pay a higher fee for their monthly services to subsidize a phone which was already paid off (the contract fulfilled).  AT&T answered this complaint by offering off-contract discounts to customers who do not purchase contract subsidized phones when they have the Mobile Share plans.  When you elect to purchase a subsidized phone, your monthly fee goes up to pay for that subsidy now.

AT&T offered you a discount by allowing you to not pay that contract subsidy for the remainder of your pre-existing contract if it was in effect before 02/01/2014, and you quickly took advantage of that, so why should you complain when you sign a new contract and no longer get that off-contract discount on your phone service?  If your purchased your new contract phones within the last 14 days, you can still return them and get your off-contract discounts back.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

you say complaining and I say taking action!  Moving my $500 elsewhere.  

Like I said, they will have a small bit of that, 1 line,  for an addtional 22 months, not that I an counting!      I am just advising those who sign up for this plan to read the small print upon getting a upgraded phone. Certainly wish, someone has advised me!!!!

I was not verbally told of the new charges and it was "surprize" on my bill.   Again, Not that they are required to tell me,   I should of read it,    ATT got me after 14 years!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.