Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

QuarryRye

ACE - Master

 • 

3.2K Messages

Thu, Apr 11, 2019 12:06 AM

Missing Your BOGO Credits?

​One of the biggest problems we see on these forums goes something like this: "I bought two phones and they were supposed to be BOGO, but I'm being charged for the second phone." It's a simple problem, but the reasons are complex. This article can help figure out what happened and what to do about it.

 

What are BOGO credits?


BOGO stands for "Buy-One-Get-One." The deal is that you pay monthly installments for a phone on one line, but if you buy a phone on an additional line, you'll receive credits every month that cancel out the installments on that line. If you get the credit every month for the phone, it will be free at the end.

 

How do you get BOGO credits?


BOGO credits are added by a computer when you buy phones under the right conditions. If you don't see credits on your bill for the phone, 99% of the time, you didn't qualify for them. Let's start digging and see what happened.

 

1) Has it been over two billing cycles since you bought the phone?

 

It usually takes 2-3 billing cycles before the credits start. Once the credits start, you'll get credited back for those first few months. So if it's been less than three bills, just wait.

 

2) Did you pay off the installment plan early?

 

Some people get the two phones, pay off one phone, and think they'll keep getting a free phone. If you pay off or cancel the "buy" line, the credits will stop on the "free" phone. 

 

3) Did your account get suspended for non-payment?

 

BOGO credits require the account to stay in good standing. If your account is suspended because of an unpaid bill, even for a minute, all credits may stop and won't come back. So pay your bill.

 

Now that we've gotten those out of the way, we need to look into the terms and conditions of the promotion you were offered. You can look up all the deals AT&T has offered for the year by searching att.com/support for "bogo" and the year. For instance, BOGO 2019 is here

 

4) Did you add a new line?

 

Almost all BOGO deals require you to add a new line in order to qualify. Upgrading an existing line, transferring a line from prepaid to postpaid, transferring a line from another service that uses AT&T like Cricket, those don't count. If you didn't add a brand-new line of service for at least one of the phones, you don't qualify. The majority of BOGO deal failures seem to fall here, because the customer didn't add a line.

 

5) Which phones did you buy?


With BOGO deals, you're always required to buy two specific devices, like a Samsung S10 or an iPhone XR. Even buying a different storage capacity (like the 32GB instead of the 256GB) can disqualify you. Check the terms of your BOGO carefully to make sure you bought the right phones.

 

6) Do you have TV or Internet through AT&T?


This isn't always a requirement, but it's rare when AT&T doesn't require adding additional services to get a BOGO deal. If the terms and conditions say TV or Internet is required, then you would need to already have or buy new TV and/or Internet service with AT&T at the time of buying the phones. DirecTV Now wouldn't count.

 

In short, if you're in the market for a new phone and want to take advantage of a BOGO, follow these steps:

  • Read the terms and conditions of the BOGO on the website or the in-store promotional materials.
  • Double-check to make sure you're getting the right phone, adding a new line, whether you need to have AT&T's TV or Internet.
  • Make sure you wait two billing cycles
  • Pay your bill on time so you don't lose the credits.

If you do all that, enjoy your free phone.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Responses

Tutor

 • 

4 Messages

10 months ago

I am with you. I have had my At&t account for close to 20 years. I purchased a bogo phone on Black Friday and to this date I have yet to get my monthly credit. Every time I call, they give me a new excuse. I’m currently in search of a lawyer to get out of my contract as they have breached their contract and promise. 

QuarryRye

ACE - Master

 • 

3.2K Messages

10 months ago

1) Did your account get suspended for non-payment?
2) Did you add a new line?
​3) Which phones did you buy?
4) Do you have TV or Internet through AT&T?
 
As for the lawyer, your service agreement requires disputes to be resolved in binding arbitration or small claims court. The lawyer will probably charge you more than you'd spend paying off the phones, so you might as well take that money, pay off your phones, and leave AT&T.
https://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html#howDoIResolveDisputesWithAtt
**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

 • 

72.3K Messages

10 months ago


@Biggfela wrote:

I am with you. I have had my At&t account for close to 20 years. I purchased a bogo phone on Black Friday and to this date I have yet to get my monthly credit. Every time I call, they give me a new excuse. I’m currently in search of a lawyer to get out of my contract as they have breached their contract and promise. 


There is no such thing as ‘a BOGO phone’.  The deal requires 2 phones be purchased on installments, a new line for the free phone be added (brand spanking new to At&t).   The phones must be the same brand, and phones included in the BOGO deal.   

If all requirements are not met, credits don’t happen.   Mistakes can happen, but most often the sale never qualified. 

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/landingpage/offers/Wireless-BOGO-Offer-2018.pdf

 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
CBro70

Teacher

 • 

27 Messages

10 months ago

I have did everything on my side correct, they just wont take care of there side. Every time it's a new hoop to jump threw. They just need to honor there deal. I will never fall for this trick again. I will be leaving after 20 year as a loyal customer.

Contributor

 • 

2 Messages

10 months ago

I fulfilled all of my requirements. It was an error on their part. Who can
I speak to who can actually help.
#- Please type your reply above this line -##
CBro70

Teacher

 • 

27 Messages

10 months ago

I would love to know myself

QuarryRye

ACE - Master

 • 

3.2K Messages

10 months ago

Post #36
Your only chance is to file a complaint with the FCC or BBB, and AT&T's Office of the President will be required to contact you directly. There's no higher authority at AT&T, and I've seen them work miracles to resolve BOGO problems. I'm not promising anything, but it's your only hope.​

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

 • 

6 Messages

10 months ago

Okay, then I want a copy of my signed contract, which I did not receive when the sales rep came to my house to sign me up for this fantastic deal.

I was told to go to a corporate office for a copy of my contract, which I did.  All I received was a boiler-plate contract with NO signatures.

 

NO CONTRACT - NO ARBITRATION CLAUSE

 

If class-action attorney tells me that there is no case - then I will have to figure it out I guess.  Either way, I intend to move forward since this is a utter complete waste of my time, my gas and my money.  *****

 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

QuarryRye

ACE - Master

 • 

3.2K Messages

10 months ago

@Angrycustmer2 wrote:

Okay, then I want a copy of my signed contract, which I did not receive when the sales rep came to my house to sign me up for this fantastic deal.

When you activated the phone, you were asked if you agreed to the terms and conditions of the agreement. That could have been over the phone or online, neither of which require a physical signature. Since you're using the phone, that means you agreed to the terms, so whenever you activated the phone is when your e-signature was captured.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

 • 

7 Messages

10 months ago

And that is theft. Your reps offering deals that were no going to be honored. 

Tutor

 • 

7 Messages

10 months ago

It’s real! AT&T sales reps are scamming customers by offering BOGO deals that they know the company won’t honor. It’s been 6 months and their own escalation center lies to me saying they tried to call and email. 

February 1, 2019, I called to add my daughter to my wireless plan. I inquired about a flip phone or used iPhone 6 for her. The sales representative said I could purchase a new iPhone for less and offered a deal for $150.00 total. He said I could pay $5.00/month. I agreed to this purchase. Then he said that I could also upgrade my existing iphone 6 max under the buy one get one free offer that was ending that same day. I declined the offer and said I don’t need another iPhone 6 (which apparently was never eligible

for the BOGO offer). He (Joe Dukes) went on to explain that I could get any iPhone I wanted and he could credit me up to $750.00 max. He said the iPhone XS max was $1099 but he could give it to me for around 350.00 after discounts. I questioned him several times to clarify that I would get a discounted iPhone xsmax with the purchase of an iPhone 6. He confirmed the offer of an iPhone 6 for 150$ and XSMax for 350$. He stated I would see the discounts on my bill in the next couple months. He said he would enter the details of the sale. While I was waiting, the call dropped. This is where I think things got shady.  I called back and said I was in the middle of a purchase. I asked to speak to the sales rep I was working with. The representative said they would complete the sale because it was all typed up by the previous representative. I confirmed the bogo offer and asked to make sure it was the same deal offered. The representative looked over the sale and confirmed it was an iPhone 6 and xsmax. 

On Feb 19th I got my 1st bill and called to ask about my xsmax discounts. At first I was told the discounts would show up in a couple months. Then I asked why there was a discount on the iPhone 6 but not the xsmax. That’s when I was told they made a deal that could never be offered. I asked to return the phones or honor the deal. I submitted a written complaint and online. I spent 4 hours on the phone getting transferred to the fraud department and back to customer loyalty. 

I asked that someone in a position of authority stop fraudulent sales reps and listen to the calls. 

Further, I am requested that I be made whole, either by honoring the original offer and crediting me or cancel the sale, refunding me for all charges associated with the sale including the IPhone 6 and iPhone XS Max and returning my account to the condition it was prior to the transaction with a full credit.

Tutor

 • 

7 Messages

10 months ago

Additional details that concern me are the fact that the managers never called me back. Customer service agents made promises to credit my account for the full cost of the xsmax but then never did. I’ve called every month and still no solubtion. It’s laughable. One agent said she would sicount me 20.00/month and eventually I would have my full amount in credits. She said this like I should be grateful. When I looked into it further I found that the credit was for paperless billing ;-/ and everyone gets it. Then I discovered that they had changed my plan from a grandfathered unlimited plan to the new unlimited plan. My access fees went from 20 to 35 for each phone. So I’m getting screwed and lied to by multiple agents. It’s a culture at AT&T. 

The manager of the region that I bought the phone received an e-mail on or around March 17th alerting her to the fraudulent sales issue. I was assured that she would call me back within two business days. I waited from March 17th - March 31st and did  not receive a call. March 31st, I called to find out why the manager failed to call me back. I was told there was no record of an escalation, but Tony in the tech department created a “commitment ticket” for me and escalated the complaint. Janice customer service also assisted to escalate the ticket to the manager responsible for the sale. 4/29/19 Call to inquire about claim status. Transferred to fraud department. Then told I must call customer loyalty. Explained the whole process over again to Chelsey.

5/10/19 customer loyalty offers 20.00 off a month (paperless discount given to everyone) plus 150.00 Discount. Never see the discount applied. 

5/14/19 Paul at customer loyalty offers 10.00 discount. Tracy manager gives me national solution center number and transfers me. Gives me a 1x credit of 20.00 for missing paperless credit in January. NATIONAL SOLUTION CENTER

Johnathan; can’t help me. Creates a case number

Transfers me to Secondary Sales Group 800.866.1514 Sabrina at secondary sales group transfers me to customer service. Suggests I take phone to the store. States only customer service can take phone back outside of 14days. Transfers me back to customer loyalty. Ernie at customer loyalty seems helpful. He says he swears he will make this right and call me back. He apologizes and tells me he can see where the issue happened. Tells me the name of the sale rep was Joe Dukes. But even Ernie goasted  me. 5/23 I email Ernie - no response. 5/25 I call customer loyalty back. Mark says he wants to accelerate me xsmax bill and credit me full balance remaining 997.00 for xsmax. Will call back Tuesday when manager in.Guess what, no call back but this time I have evidence of the call. Oregon allows recorded calls. 

Dispute the bill with my credit card company and promptly get a shut off notice. 5/25 call back to make sure my phone isn’t getting shut off before mark calls back. Rep said no worries it won’t shut off until June 3. 5/27 service is shut off. 5/31 Sergio says he swears he will fix this and call me back no matter what. He wants to credit me for the iPhone 6. No call back, no credit. 

Tutor

 • 

7 Messages

10 months ago

Look into recording the calls. It’s legal in many states [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. Please report this to bbb with

me. They are stealing and hoping we are to busy to follow through. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

 • 

72.3K Messages

10 months ago


@CCarmichael2009 wrote:

It’s real! AT&T sales reps are scamming customers by offering BOGO deals that they know the company won’t honor. It’s been 6 months and their own escalation center lies to me saying they tried to call and email. 

February 1, 2019, I called to add my daughter to my wireless plan. I inquired about a flip phone or used iPhone 6 for her. The sales representative said I could purchase a new iPhone for less and offered a deal for $150.00 total. He said I could pay $5.00/month. I agreed to this purchase. Then he said that I could also upgrade my existing iphone 6 max under the buy one get one free offer that was ending that same day. I declined the offer and said I don’t need another iPhone 6 (which apparently was never eligible

for the BOGO offer). He (Joe Dukes) went on to explain that I could get any iPhone I wanted and he could credit me up to $750.00 max. He said the iPhone XS max was $1099 but he could give it to me for around 350.00 after discounts. I questioned him several times to clarify that I would get a discounted iPhone xsmax with the purchase of an iPhone 6. He confirmed the offer of an iPhone 6 for 150$ and XSMax for 350$. He stated I would see the discounts on my bill in the next couple months. He said he would enter the details of the sale. While I was waiting, the call dropped. This is where I think things got shady.  I called back and said I was in the middle of a purchase. I asked to speak to the sales rep I was working with. The representative said they would complete the sale because it was all typed up by the previous representative. I confirmed the bogo offer and asked to make sure it was the same deal offered. The representative looked over the sale and confirmed it was an iPhone 6 and xsmax. 

On Feb 19th I got my 1st bill and called to ask about my xsmax discounts. At first I was told the discounts would show up in a couple months. Then I asked why there was a discount on the iPhone 6 but not the xsmax. That’s when I was told they made a deal that could never be offered. I asked to return the phones or honor the deal. I submitted a written complaint and online. I spent 4 hours on the phone getting transferred to the fraud department and back to customer loyalty. 

I asked that someone in a position of authority stop fraudulent sales reps and listen to the calls. 

Further, I am requested that I be made whole, either by honoring the original offer and crediting me or cancel the sale, refunding me for all charges associated with the sale including the IPhone 6 and iPhone XS Max and returning my account to the condition it was prior to the transaction with a full credit.


So much wrong, where to begin.  A BOGO deal requires you buy 2 eligible phones.  The iPhone y has NEVER been included, and the 6s hasn’t been included since the iPhone 7 came out.   There is a deal for a 6s, alone, if you added a line.  

   For the millionth time, please folks, read the sales pages.  Deals are always published, and those are the valid offers.  

   When you agreed to purchase the two phones, you agreed to pay for them.  That superseded any verbal agreement you heard, or think you heard.  

How are you not “whole”?   You received 2 phones at retail value.  You didn’t meet requirements for any deals.   

 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

 • 

2 Messages

10 months ago

LEAVE ATT!!!

It seems you are writing my story. Things will never be solved.

I escalated my issues to Corporate and they didn't respond. I was told they have many, many more customers.


AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…