Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

QuarryRye

ACE - Master

• 

3.2K Messages

Thu, Apr 11, 2019 12:06 AM

Missing Your BOGO Credits?

​One of the biggest problems we see on these forums goes something like this: "I bought two phones and they were supposed to be BOGO, but I'm being charged for the second phone." It's a simple problem, but the reasons are complex. This article can help figure out what happened and what to do about it.

What are BOGO credits?

BOGO stands for "Buy-One-Get-One." The deal is that you pay monthly installments for a phone on one line, but if you buy a phone on an additional line, you'll receive credits every month that cancel out the installments on that line. If you get the credit every month for the phone, it will be free at the end.

How do you get BOGO credits?

BOGO credits are added by a computer when you buy phones under the right conditions. If you don't see credits on your bill for the phone, 99% of the time, you didn't qualify for them. Let's start digging and see what happened.

1) Has it been over two billing cycles since you bought the phone?

It usually takes 2-3 billing cycles before the credits start. Once the credits start, you'll get credited back for those first few months. So if it's been less than three bills, just wait.

2) Did you pay off the installment plan early?

Some people get the two phones, pay off one phone, and think they'll keep getting a free phone. If you pay off or cancel the "buy" line, the credits will stop on the "free" phone. 

3) Did your account get suspended for non-payment?

BOGO credits require the account to stay in good standing. If your account is suspended because of an unpaid bill, even for a minute, all credits may stop and won't come back. So pay your bill.

Now that we've gotten those out of the way, we need to look into the terms and conditions of the promotion you were offered. You can look up all the deals AT&T has offered for the year by searching att.com/support for "bogo" and the year. For instance, BOGO 2019 is here

4) Did you add a new line?

Almost all BOGO deals require you to add a new line in order to qualify. Upgrading an existing line, transferring a line from prepaid to postpaid, transferring a line from another service that uses AT&T like Cricket, those don't count. If you didn't add a brand-new line of service for at least one of the phones, you don't qualify. The majority of BOGO deal failures seem to fall here, because the customer didn't add a line.

5) Which phones did you buy?

With BOGO deals, you're always required to buy two specific devices, like a Samsung S10 or an iPhone XR. Even buying a different storage capacity (like the 32GB instead of the 256GB) can disqualify you. Check the terms of your BOGO carefully to make sure you bought the right phones.

6) Do you have TV or Internet through AT&T?

This isn't always a requirement, but it's rare when AT&T doesn't require adding additional services to get a BOGO deal. If the terms and conditions say TV or Internet is required, then you would need to already have or buy new TV and/or Internet service with AT&T at the time of buying the phones. DirecTV Now wouldn't count.

In short, if you're in the market for a new phone and want to take advantage of a BOGO, follow these steps:

• Read the terms and conditions of the BOGO on the website or the in-store promotional materials.
  • Double-check to make sure you're getting the right phone, adding a new line, whether you need to have AT&T's TV or Internet.
  • Make sure you wait two billing cycles
  • Pay your bill on time so you don't lose the credits.

If you do all that, enjoy your free phone.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.4K Messages

a year ago

@iwishihadknown wrote:
No, You are not the only one. You are one of the million people in the US. who have this issue.

Let’s not exaggerate.   AT&T has 147 million postpaid customers, and no where near that many in 3 years qualified and took a BOGO deal.  The people I know who did, got the deal.  Of course they READ the deal themselves first.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

In my case it was a set up error made by the store, and they talked me out
of returning the phones (within my 14 days) and claimed to have corrected
the issue. The research, reading of the fine print was done yet the mistake
was made on AT&T's behalf when setting up the contract.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

a year ago

I apologize

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

a year ago

where can I see if the BOGO was actually applied to our account? I feel like our IHX lied to us. Just want to make sure he put that in the account if there is a way to do so.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

Greetings,

I called AT&T on May 02, 2019 due to billing issues with my U-verse acct and after transferring 3 times, I was finally connected to the "Combined/Unified Billing Dept". The Rep (Froilan) investigated the issue and stated that it will be credited back to my acct on Friday. Next I was in the market to buy S10 under BOGO. I asked if I can upgrade 2 lines instead of activating a new line because I can always port my number to Google Voice and after 3-months of service with the new line, I will port the number back to the new line to qualify. He told me I don't need to do any of that and I will be eligible to upgrade with this BOGO promo. He also mentioned a deal for the military members for $200 billing credit after 15 days of activation, which can be stacked with BOGO. I requested to have the upgrade fees of $30 be waived and he agreed. I asked to have all these terms be annotated in my acct for future reference and he obliged (or so i thought!). While still on the phone, I received the Terms & Conditions from AT&T via email. When I opened the email, it had 2 new phone numbers and "new activation" written under it. I inquired about these 2 new numbers and his answer was that he had to assigned new numbers so my phone service is not interrupted while the phones are being shipped. Which didn't sound right. In the past, I just had to call AT&T to activate the new SIM when order was received and only then the old SIM was deactivated. My spider senses kicked in after I hung up with him and I drove to the AT&T store to verify all this before signing the TAC. As soon I got to the store, I found out that new line activation is required for the BOGO promo. Also, there were NO notes annotated on the acct about our phone conversation. I have not signed the TAC yet and I want to cancel the order, which the store agent said I have to do over the phone by call them or just not accept the TAC and it will be cancelled automatically. I want to file a complaint to make sure that Rep (Froilan) is not defrauding other customers. I tried unsuccessfully to find an email or a phone number to file a complaint on their website. I am very disappointed to see the tactics these reps are using to defraud loyal customers. I hope to file a complaint so they can listen to the conversation recorded between us (which At&t claims they do record for quality purposes).

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I was sold a buy one get one free deal in the iPhone XR. The representative I spoke with confirmedI would get the phone free. Now I am being charged. I have called for 6 months now and have been told 3 different stories. The last supervisor I spoke with was unprofessional and rude. He said it wasn’t his fault I can’t read, kept calling me dude and threatened to turn off my service. I have been told by previous reps this was not supposed to happen and received 3 credits towards the issue of $75. I am now told I need tv service. I am also told I did not actually agree to the terms and conditions over the phone. This is bait and switch at its finest. I would like to get what I was offered but according to Ron ***** (if that is even his real ID) AT&T does not care and will lie their way into taking money from people. I will be contacting the BBB and will pursue this as far as I can. This is some scam you have a market on and it needs to halt.

I fullfilled led all of these requirements until your third story saying I didn’t. BAIT AND SWITCH 

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc]

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

What happens  when  someone  from At&t has change the activation date to disqualify you from the promotion but your service has never stopped. I have been calling since  Dec. I upgraded during the promotion. Now on my account it says I did not activate my phone and until February so it will not be under the promotion. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.4K Messages

a year ago

@MommyResha wrote:

What happens  when  someone  from At&t has change the activation date to disqualify you from the promotion but your service has never stopped. I have been calling since  Dec. I upgraded during the promotion. Now on my account it says I did not activate my phone and until February so it will not be under the promotion. 

Activations occur automatically in the computer, so how can “someone from At&t” change the date 2 months?

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Yes I too ended up with this problem. The guy at the store signed me up saying BOGO plan and after 3 months I see they added 4th line and charging me for phone. It took me several bills to find since every bill was different and I was thinking they are making adjustments. Neither store manager or customer reps able to help. I dont know how to complain FCC or BBB. Total scam.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.4K Messages

a year ago

@Svkvj7 wrote:

Yes I too ended up with this problem. The guy at the store signed me up saying BOGO plan and after 3 months I see they added 4th line and charging me for phone. It took me several bills to find since every bill was different and I was thinking they are making adjustments. Neither store manager or customer reps able to help.

I dont know how to complain FCC or BBB. Total scam.

That’s where google is your friend.  ↗️

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

a year ago

As you can see that people (AT&T calls them loyal customers, LOL) complain about this issue just about every day. I don’t understand how AT&T board are still sitting and chilling about this. 🤦‍♀️ 🤦‍♂️ smh.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.4K Messages

a year ago

@iwishihadknown wrote:
As you can see that people (AT&T calls them loyal customers, LOL) complain about this issue just about every day. I don’t understand how AT&T board are still sitting and chilling about this. 🤦‍♀️ 🤦‍♂️ smh.

AT&T has 147 million connections.  

One complaint a day is 365 a year.  Let’s say there are an average of 2 or 3 a day, that still a bit over 1,000, the number is still so teeny tiny as to be fairly insignificant.   It’s just not insignificant to a customer who thinks they qualified.  

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

a year ago

My truly apologies 😞
I didn’t realize that 2 or 3 complaints per day is significantly low compares to that you have millions loyal customers.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.4K Messages

a year ago

@iwishihadknown wrote:
My truly apologies 😞
I didn’t realize that 2 or 3 complaints per day is significantly low compares to that you have millions loyal customers.

As I wrote, it’s not insignificant to someone who thought they qualified.  

9 times out if 10, someone with a ‘failed BOGO’  didn’t meet qualifications.  It behooves each customer to actually read the deals and make sure they qualify and don’t do anything later to void the deal.  It doesn’t matter to At&t after the fact, as the only agreement signed is the one saying you will pay for the phones.  They still get paid.   It only matters to the person who thought they were getting a deal.  

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

As per QuarryRye's suggestion, I filed a complaint with FCC and they responded via email that AT&T is required to submit a response within 30 days. Fortunately, I caught the AT&T Rep's (Froilan) lie before accepting the Terms and Conditions so I am not on the hook but I filed the complaint so these dishonest Rep's can not defraud others and get away with it. I do believe most people don't follow through with filing any formal complaints and they give up after contacting/ pleading their case with  AT&T, which are not accounted for in FCC or BBB registery hence the number of complaints are significantly lower then how many people join the #metoomovement in online forums.

I would recommend to all of you who have been deceived by AT&T Reps, to file a complaint with FCC soon as you discover the issue so AT&T upper management is aware of the issues in their lower ranks and they have a chance to listen to the recorded conversation between you and the Rep. My gut feeling is that these Reps are pressured by their immediate supervisors to make sales by any means necessary to reach their quotas.

P.S. Thank you QuarryRye 🙂 

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…