Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.
QuarryRye

ACE - Master

• 

3.2K Messages

Thu, Apr 11, 2019 12:06 AM

Missing Your BOGO Credits?

​One of the biggest problems we see on these forums goes something like this: "I bought two phones and they were supposed to be BOGO, but I'm being charged for the second phone." It's a simple problem, but the reasons are complex. This article can help figure out what happened and what to do about it.

What are BOGO credits?

BOGO stands for "Buy-One-Get-One." The deal is that you pay monthly installments for a phone on one line, but if you buy a phone on an additional line, you'll receive credits every month that cancel out the installments on that line. If you get the credit every month for the phone, it will be free at the end.

How do you get BOGO credits?

BOGO credits are added by a computer when you buy phones under the right conditions. If you don't see credits on your bill for the phone, 99% of the time, you didn't qualify for them. Let's start digging and see what happened.

1) Has it been over two billing cycles since you bought the phone?

It usually takes 2-3 billing cycles before the credits start. Once the credits start, you'll get credited back for those first few months. So if it's been less than three bills, just wait.

2) Did you pay off the installment plan early?

Some people get the two phones, pay off one phone, and think they'll keep getting a free phone. If you pay off or cancel the "buy" line, the credits will stop on the "free" phone. 

3) Did your account get suspended for non-payment?

BOGO credits require the account to stay in good standing. If your account is suspended because of an unpaid bill, even for a minute, all credits may stop and won't come back. So pay your bill.

Now that we've gotten those out of the way, we need to look into the terms and conditions of the promotion you were offered. You can look up all the deals AT&T has offered for the year by searching att.com/support for "bogo" and the year. For instance, BOGO 2019 is here

4) Did you add a new line?

Almost all BOGO deals require you to add a new line in order to qualify. Upgrading an existing line, transferring a line from prepaid to postpaid, transferring a line from another service that uses AT&T like Cricket, those don't count. If you didn't add a brand-new line of service for at least one of the phones, you don't qualify. The majority of BOGO deal failures seem to fall here, because the customer didn't add a line.

5) Which phones did you buy?

With BOGO deals, you're always required to buy two specific devices, like a Samsung S10 or an iPhone XR. Even buying a different storage capacity (like the 32GB instead of the 256GB) can disqualify you. Check the terms of your BOGO carefully to make sure you bought the right phones.

6) Do you have TV or Internet through AT&T?

This isn't always a requirement, but it's rare when AT&T doesn't require adding additional services to get a BOGO deal. If the terms and conditions say TV or Internet is required, then you would need to already have or buy new TV and/or Internet service with AT&T at the time of buying the phones. DirecTV Now wouldn't count.

In short, if you're in the market for a new phone and want to take advantage of a BOGO, follow these steps:

• Read the terms and conditions of the BOGO on the website or the in-store promotional materials.
  • Double-check to make sure you're getting the right phone, adding a new line, whether you need to have AT&T's TV or Internet.
  • Make sure you wait two billing cycles
  • Pay your bill on time so you don't lose the credits.

If you do all that, enjoy your free phone.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Responses

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 months ago

@thepriz wrote:

This is the second time they have done this to me. I got a phone line for my child, because it was a bogo promotion. I rolled with it the first time it happened.

Did you keep a copy of the promotion this time? 

@thepriz wrote:

My wife said no, so we just went with the BOGO promotion the sales rep promised me. Guess what It's now over the 2-3 months and I call AT&T to figure out where my monthly discount is and they tell me that I didn't qualify for the BOGO. So either they are training their employees to SCAM their customers or they are not training them on the promotions they have. I have filed a special case, we will see what happens.... 

Which two phones did you get?

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.2K Messages

2 months ago

@thepriz  every phone deal since May 1 2019 required unlimited WIRELESS data plan (not home INTERNET).  It was obviously brought up at the time of your purchase, and they even tried to encourage you with the TV off. You said no.  
May I suggest in the future you read (carefully) and save all the offers.  
   There’s an old saying fool me once shame on you.   Fool me twice shame on me.  

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

2 months ago

@thepriz Respectfully, @lizdance40 is incorrect in stating: "every phone deal since May 1 2019 required unlimited WIRELESS data plan... "  

This BOGO Offer ending 30-June 2019 did not require an unlimited wireless data plan.  

https://www.att.com/ecms/sharedcontent/en/legal/WirelessOffers/GenericOffers/legal_apple_reward_card_offer/jcr:content/desktoplegal/legalsharedcontent_1419006986.html

[Edited To Add A Working AT&T Link:] www.att.com/ecms/sharedcontent/en/legal/WirelessOffers/GenericOffers/legal_apple_reward_card_offer/jcr:content/desktoplegal/legalsharedcontent_1419006986.html

Buy an eligible iPhone, get an iPhone XR 64GB on us when you buy both on AT&T Next® with eligible wireless (min. $100/mo. combined before discounts). Plus, get a $250 AT&T Visa Reward Card.

Ends 6/30/19. Available in select areas and locations

You'll need to:

• Purchase two eligible iPhones on AT&T Next or AT&T Next Every Year installment agreements
  • Add at least one new line to a new or existing account
  • Pay taxes on the full retail price of both devices up front.
  • Have an eligible wireless plan (min. $100/mo. combined before discounts for new customers. Existing customers can add to eligible existing plans).
  • Pay a $30 activation or upgrade fee for each device

Note: AT&T Next and AT&T Next Every Year are 0% APR agreements with 30-mo. term at up to $48.34/mo. and 24-mo. term at up to $60.42/mo., respectively.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 months ago

@AdelineStar wrote:

@thepriz Respectfully, @lizdance40 is incorrect in stating: "every phone deal since May 1 2019 required unlimited WIRELESS data plan... "  

That sounds accurate, but I think she was focusing on the WIRELESS (which was in CAPS) and NOT home internet.  (But yes, you've shown that statement to be incorrect).

Regardless, we need a copy of the offer that is the issue here...

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.2K Messages

2 months ago

@AdelineStar   The promotions At&t has on the website:   https://www.att.com/help/offers/wireless/bogo.html

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

@lizdance40 Sincere apologies in being so late in responding to your post.

This is a new low! Has AT&T no shame?

Purposely or not they’ve lied by omission to you! Clearly the pdf documents listed in the link you posted is incomplete: https://www.att.com/help/offers/wireless/bogo.html Obviously the Buy one, get one offers (2019) pdf does not list the 30-June 2019 BOGO & $250 AT&T Reward Card that Did Not require an unlimited WIRELESS data plan. Which begs the question: “What other offers are missing?”

How many customers do you think may have erroneously been told in 2018? 2019? that there was no such promotion as they describe? How many customers have reached out for help only to be doubted and chastised?

How many kind and generous AT&T customer-volunteers who as stated time and again are clearly not employees of AT&T, who spend their personal time assisting their fellow AT&T customers without compensation of any form from any entity, who share their experience and expertise without recognition or accolade, and most importantly give without receiving insider benefits or knowledge or special rates or discounts, have ALSO been duped into trusting AT&T in this lie of omission?

How many AT&T agents have been dependent on the accuracy of the same information whilst advising customers?

And It Is Not Accurate!

Well, I for one would be more than happy to join you in filing a complaint with the FCC and BBB which from my understanding @QuarryRye would force the president of AT&T’s response!

Thankfully we know this now and AT&T customers who come to this forum for help will be given the benefit of the doubt and helped to understand what has happened, why they have missing BOGO credits, and receive accurate information that will enable them to make more informed decisions as to what they should do next.

And thankfully this resulted in our only being hoodwinked by AT&T and not fleeced as so many AT&T customers believe they have been!

Great find and job well done, @lizdance40!

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.2K Messages

I have seen people refer to a 250 cashback offer in a couple of posts. However I have never seen a 250 cashback offer posted on the website or the sales pages. The only offer I have seen is the $300 offer, which has been offered on and off since last spring.
All I can say is no matter who you switch to CYA, save the offers.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

@lizdance40 CYA. Could not agree more. My soapbox aside, it is disconcerting to see the volunteer work being done in these forums undermined in that way.

It isn't said often enough: Thank you.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

2 months ago

Hi @thepriz   If I understand correctly, you:

• Made an in-store purchase of two phones at an AT&T corporate store; whereby
  • You upgraded your existing phone; and most importantly
  • You added a new phone line.
    • What was the date of your purchase?
    • Which two phones did you buy?

• The BOGO offer did not require an unlimited wireless internet data plan OR any home Internet and/or TV services.
    • Although not required to qualify for the BOGO, the AT&T in-store representative asked if you wanted to upgrade your phone’s wireless data plan to an unlimited data plan, or if you were interested in adding a DirecTV and/or Internet bundle for your home, correct?

• When you contacted AT&T customer support to determine why your BOGO credits were missing, you were told you did not qualify for BOGO credits because the BOGO promotion, as presented to you in-store by AT&T, and upon which you made your purchase, did not exist, correct?

• You mentioned you filed a special case, and I am assuming AT&T’s customer support has escalated your issue to another department or to their ‘back office’ for review.

With the devil being in the details, eh?  And while intentionally or not, and oftentimes wholly deserving of a lawsuit, the contract terms for all AT&T customers prevent us from suing in court.  That said, there are other avenues you can choose to find resolution. 

Let’s begin with identifying the BOGO offer.  Knowing the date of purchase and which phones you purchased will help. 

If we are unsuccessful in obtaining a written copy of the promotion – not because it doesn’t exist – but because as fellow customers our resources are limited; the AT&T Store Manager should (and I stress should) have access to, as well as the ability to print, the documents from your transaction.  While, from my own experience with AT&T, I completely understand your frustration and how upsetting this issue can be, keep in mind the manager can oftentimes quickly and successfully assist you in this process. 

@thepriz  Please be reminded:  Do not include any personal or other identifiable information in your response.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

Same!!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

When I purchased the phone during a BOGO event, the sales man never informed us that you had to add a new line. We were told

that we qualified. I have been mislead and lied

to several times by AT&T employees. The more I speak with AT&T, the more I realize how corrupt their business practices are. I would never refer AT&T to anyone.