Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
E

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Nov 27, 2020 5:05 PM

Mislead when trading in phones

My wife and I wished to upgrade our old phones which were paid off.  When going into the AT&T store we were told we can get new phones at "NO CHARGE".  We were like great lets do it!!!!  To make a long story short, representative asked us whom we have as a carrier for TV we told her and she said she could save us $50 a month with AT&T TV  and we can get two new phones at no charge.  What a deal, right, WRONG!!!! 

Come to find out after reviewing my account at home a couple days later, in order to get this deal which she did "NOT ABSOLUTELY DIVULGE" she had to add two promotional lines, which show on my account as flip phone and I-pad which I am now hooked into a 30 month contract and paying monthly installments on them and they were never given to me nor was this explained to me.  So I went down to the store where we originally went and they explained in order to get the deal this is what they had to do.  I explained I felt as I was taken advantage of and I received a blank stare and they tried to explain to me I was saving money.  Really I don't care about the money, what I cared about was getting the two phones for free.  Let me explain what I said to them about the phones that were supposedly free.  IF I was getting two phones for free there would be no payment on them, which there isn't, but there are payments for 30 months on the two promotional lines each month that I was physically never given.  So what is for free?  Im still making payments on two additional lines that I don't have, So in essence "NOTHING WAS FOR FREE"....  So when you see free OR they tell you its free be sure to ask a lot of questions and ask them to be specific.  I have contacted Better Business Bureau and State Attorney General about the misleading advertisement and a way AT&T takes advantage of there dedicated customers.  I will do everything in my power to get out of this contract and leave AT&T all together.  And trust me I will!!!!!

Responses

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

2 months ago

Nothing is for free...ever. It’s up to us as customers to make sure we’re doing everything we can to understand the details of promotions. 

In this case, getting “free” phones required paying for 2 new phone lines for the duration of the installment plan. If that’s not what you want to do, you have 14 days to return the phones and cancel the lines. 

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.5K Messages

2 months ago

The recent and current trade in deal did not require new lines, or TV service. 

Sounds like the AT&T store needs to fix this.  And I bet it's an authorized retailer, not an AT&T owned store.

If the store can't fix it, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau online. It will result in AT&T upper management calling you directly

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

14 days to return. Return what. They took my old phones and we have two new phones. The part I am complaining about , 2 promotional lines , which looking at my account is a flip phone and iPad which I am paying $150 a month for 30 months for product I don’t have.  Never given to me and when asking about it when going back were told they had to add two promotional lines to get the free phones . So in essence nothing was for free , false advertising and even though I’m not paying for the phones we upgraded I am still paying for two promotional lines , a flip phone and iPad that was never disclosed or given to me.  Completely dishonest and misleading to the consumers.  So what can I return. My phones we ha e that were suppose to be for free. Then what, I have no phone. It’s wrong and should be rectified by them immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.5K Messages

2 months ago

Perhaps the two of us were not clear. This is not AT&T support this is a customer populated Community forum. Go back to the store where you made your purchase, explain to them that what is on your bill is for two items that you never got have never seen and do not own. They did it they have to undo it

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Get started...

Ask a new question