Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thu, Jul 10, 2014 9:43 PM

Lied to by sales Rep then given the run around for 3 months

Sadly, I am reading that what has happened to me has and is happening to others.

I went into the Lenox Mall AT&T store in GA to add a line and phone to my plan.  The sales rep Chanel (on her first day) told me that they were running a special program and that she could give me a free iPad and add a phone without increasing my current monthly bill of $160 a month.  I was hesitant to do it that day because my current phone had a cracked screen and I wanted to use the insurance I'd been paying for to get a new phone (with the $125 co-pay).  She told me I didn't need to do that because she could get me a replacement phone for free.  So I agreed to two Windows 8.0 phones (not the new 8.1 phones that were avaliable)

Seriously, she told me explicitly that I could get two new phones and an iPad for FREE because I was a loyal customer and that my bill would not go up.  I questioned this several times!  I even said, "What's to prevent folks from taking these free things and then just walking away if they have no contracts?"  The sales rep told me that this was AT&T's way of thanking us for being loyal customers for 20 years.

As soon as the Bill came in (for $260 instead of $170) we went to the store and spoke to the manager.  We told him that if he couldn't fix it he needed to cancel the plan.  He said he would fix it and explained that the extra $90 was due to the monthly charges for the two phones and the iPad and that I was on a 3year payment plan!!!!!  Why would I pay $300 for an old model Windows Phone over 3years never mind $500 for an iPad!!!!!

Then the next bill came in again at $260 we went to the store again, spoke to the manager.  The sales rep claimed she didn't tell us that the phones were free!!!  I couldn't believe it.  She was so sweet and said that there had obviously been a miscommunication, but they would fix it.

I came home and called AT&T on the phone.  I got $60 taken off my next bill and a promise they would look into it, escalate it, and I would hear back in 4-6 weeks.

Then the 3rd bill came in for $260 again.  I called AT&T and the very nice guy on the phone said nothing else had been done about it.

I am currently on the phone with AT&T now and have been on for two hours 

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

3 years ago

@Incredabully. That isn't how the switch offer works. 

1.  Port your numbers and buy a new phone on installments

2. . Trade in your old phone, on your previous carriers bill.  Strongly suggest you do this in store, get a receipt for trade in. . First part of reimbursement is given for phones.  

3.  Submit final bill for the remainder of the device payments for reimbursement online, or in store. 

Please use a company store, not a retailer. 

@Incredabully wrote:

I left AT&T a few weeks back and went with a competitor.   I spoke with a win back rep yesterday and decided to go back with them.   Well that was. A huge mistake.    The rep on the phone told me to pay off balance on old phone bring it in to the store and they would give me a trade in value.   I asked the value and they told me 689.00.  I said wait that makes no sense I'm going to pay off 300 and your going to give me 689.0@ credit , how is that possible.  She said that's how they do it full value.  She was on speaker phone and my friend asked her again and she said same thing.   Well I went to the store and they offered me 89.00 for the phone.     Talk about bait and switch.......   after 1.5 hours on the phone and 4 transfers later they said all they could do is open a case.      I have the case number and they are going to pull the call and hear exactly what that rep told me.  Not once or twice but 3 times.    Let's see if the company owns up to this error and delivers what the rep told me.    

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I am dealing with the same issue. I was told in July that if I added a line, the phone was free after paying two months of installments and being refunded. I added two lines, confirmed that I would pay the installment fees on both phones for two months and then have it refunded to my account and not pay on them anymore. I am now on month six of paying for these phones, and every month I call them, they tell me the refund is set to hit my account on the next billing cycle. Now I get text messages every few days telling me that "Your Urgent Case is still being investigated. We will contact you once it has been resolved. Thank you for choosing AT&T!" Now they are trying to tell me that it was a "buy one get one" event. I've been on the phone for over an hour with a representative who is "looking into it" for me to see what the status is. 

I don't understand why they don't keep better records on their end. If we are logged in to our account and chatting with someone to add lines, then that should be tied to our account for them to refer back to. If I add a line, the person should put the promo in the notes showing what it is. I shouldn't have to call every single month to have them honor what they told me six months ago. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

3 years ago

@grizz77  Um, sort of....

The BOGO always bills you for the phones for the full 24 or 30 months.  A credit is applied after 3 months of paying your bill on time.   

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
bloomin

Scholar

• 

258 Messages

3 years ago

@lizdance40

I guess this begs the question, why are these offers always so convoluted and confusing for customers? 

I'm no fool and usually very savvy about such things, yet when I see these offers the reaction I too have is 

this is utterly confusing and NOT a logical series of events. Seems to me that AT&T needs to 

rethink these offers and make them more simplistic and straight forward. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

3 years ago

@bloomin

The offers are simple.  They are also carbon copies of the offers from other carriers.  The minor details do change often.  The offer is completely logical if you accept the idea they are NOT TO SAVE US MONEY.  They are to add business and make a profit off us.

There is no doubt the ATT writers just couldn’t write a simple sentence and craft a simple paragraph unless their job depended on it.  (Which it should).  I still don’t understand if they are deliberately deceptive, or just don’t read their own work.  Despite that, we strongly recommend you read the offers first.   Then ask here.  The only thing worse than the writers is the training and disseminating information to the sales staff.  

bloomin

Scholar

• 

258 Messages

3 years ago

@lizdance40

The reason they are NOT actually simple is because of the "fine print"...and yes I read EVERYTHING, except for the legal minutia perhaps just scanning over that. That's not to say competitors don't pull the same nonsense, they do. But where it seems that AT&T has issues is in dealing with the less honest sales reps mostly those on the phone. Trust me, I do due diligence and have regarding offers specifically asked these reps to supply me with a copy of the offer they are making in writing (can be by e mail)  before I go through with the order and THEY WILL NOT DO SO. There lame response is oh, that will come once you get confirmation of your order. NOPE. Not good enough. I have seen on this site that people are promised many things and so many times they do NOT come through with the promises made by word of mouth. I have never upgraded my services specifically due to that very reason. A big money loss for T. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

3 years ago

@bloomin wrote:

@lizdance40

The reason they are NOT actually simple is because of the "fine print"...and yes I read EVERYTHING, except for the legal minutia perhaps just scanning over that. That's not to say competitors don't pull the same nonsense, they do. But where it seems that AT&T has issues is in dealing with the less honest sales reps mostly those on the phone. Trust me, I do due diligence and have regarding offers specifically asked these reps to supply me with a copy of the offer they are making in writing (can be by e mail)  before I go through with the order and THEY WILL NOT DO SO. There lame response is oh, that will come once you get confirmation of your order. NOPE. Not good enough. I have seen on this site that people are promised many things and so many times they do NOT come through with the promises made by word of mouth. I have never upgraded my services specifically due to that very reason. A big money loss for T. 

@bloomin

Agreed, which is why we don’t recommend asking the phone sales people for information.  They work on some kind of commission or quota.  By the time you realize your screwed, they are asking someone if they “want fries with that?”    While ATT (and other carriers) don’t  want their customers lied to, the environment directly contradicts that.  

I have at Best a 50/50 chance of getting a poorly trained rep if I call after 6 PM. If I reach a noisy call center I hang up.  I don’t think they are even ATT employees but subcontractors.

I maintain the offers are simple: they are to add business and make a profit, not to save us money.

The sooner everyone accepts that, the less likely they are to fall for the bull cookies spread by salespeople just to close a deal.  

bloomin

Scholar

• 

258 Messages

3 years ago

lizdance quote:

Agreed, which is why we don’t recommend asking the phone sales people for information. 

@lizdance40

I agree so what do you suggest?

I was offered DSL migration ( I have legacy DSL)  offers (by official letter from AT&T) and told to contact the DSL migration department and was also giving conflicting information as well. I unlike many people researched ATT.com for my address BEFORE I called those folks and when I was given one offer by them I informed them of what the ATT.com site conflicted with what they were offering. I totally understand that these offers are to make a profit for T but if savvy customers like myself can't get 

accurate honest information then it means that T  gets LESS money from me in the long run...that seems to be 

at odds with making more money, doesn't it? Man Embarassed 

To add last year when I was sent that DSL migration letter it informs the customer that they MUST call a specific number and contact a migration rep within a specific  period of time or else my service could be suspended. Well I called that number and told the rep that I was opting out of upgrading to U Verse internet service for a couple of reasons one of which was that I couldn't get accurate information regarding prices and services from them as well as potential poor copper loop condition in my area. 

I was polite and not long winded, the rep took my information, I thought that issue is taken care of..Well about 6 weeks later I come home from work at 10 PM at night and find my browser shows a ATT walled garden telling me that I didn't contact them about 

DSL migration offers!!!!!!!!  Obviously the mirgration rep I spoke with did NOT do her job which was a simple one. I tried to call them and the department was CLOSED. I lost a days service for a sloppy mistake that a rep made being lazy.  More reasons why I won't do anything to change my account as long as AT&T can't get it's reps properly trained. 

Paranotary

Guru

• 

467 Messages

3 years ago

@bloomin

I understand poorly trained reps can cause an issue.  What’s going to change that?  Doing what you are already doing.  Using your wallet to vote against poor training.  I have had reps call me from other providers to ask me to come back and when I decline they ask why and I tell them.  Will it change overnight?  Of course not, but when enough people do it and it affects their bottom line, that’s when change will happen.  

Personally, I have had the opposite with AT&T sales.  My sales agent knew what he was taking about and was great.  Maybe I got lucky.  I did my research and have learned my lessons the hard way sometimes by not knowing what the right questions are.  If I don’t get it in writing, I don’t go forward.  I let them know why.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

3 years ago

@bloomin

I know very little about DSL internet.  I am always suspicious of promotions.  Tv and internet promotions often tie you to a contract and then price goes up dramatically.

Ive seen a few complaints about offers that never materialize.  Including my own experience 3 years ago.  The offer if you switched to Uverse from another carrier was a $200 gift card.  Never got it.  I never bothered to complain as I was unhappy with the internet and dumped it 3 months later 

I know ATT wants DSL gone, but it may be cheaper and more reliable that what they offer instead.  I would shop around for all options before giving up a working internet connection.  Ask others in your neighborhood what they use and how it works for them.  

Get started...

Ask a new question