Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thu, Jul 10, 2014 9:43 PM

Lied to by sales Rep then given the run around for 3 months

Sadly, I am reading that what has happened to me has and is happening to others.

I went into the Lenox Mall AT&T store in GA to add a line and phone to my plan.  The sales rep Chanel (on her first day) told me that they were running a special program and that she could give me a free iPad and add a phone without increasing my current monthly bill of $160 a month.  I was hesitant to do it that day because my current phone had a cracked screen and I wanted to use the insurance I'd been paying for to get a new phone (with the $125 co-pay).  She told me I didn't need to do that because she could get me a replacement phone for free.  So I agreed to two Windows 8.0 phones (not the new 8.1 phones that were avaliable)

Seriously, she told me explicitly that I could get two new phones and an iPad for FREE because I was a loyal customer and that my bill would not go up.  I questioned this several times!  I even said, "What's to prevent folks from taking these free things and then just walking away if they have no contracts?"  The sales rep told me that this was AT&T's way of thanking us for being loyal customers for 20 years.

As soon as the Bill came in (for $260 instead of $170) we went to the store and spoke to the manager.  We told him that if he couldn't fix it he needed to cancel the plan.  He said he would fix it and explained that the extra $90 was due to the monthly charges for the two phones and the iPad and that I was on a 3year payment plan!!!!!  Why would I pay $300 for an old model Windows Phone over 3years never mind $500 for an iPad!!!!!

Then the next bill came in again at $260 we went to the store again, spoke to the manager.  The sales rep claimed she didn't tell us that the phones were free!!!  I couldn't believe it.  She was so sweet and said that there had obviously been a miscommunication, but they would fix it.

I came home and called AT&T on the phone.  I got $60 taken off my next bill and a promise they would look into it, escalate it, and I would hear back in 4-6 weeks.

Then the 3rd bill came in for $260 again.  I called AT&T and the very nice guy on the phone said nothing else had been done about it.

I am currently on the phone with AT&T now and have been on for two hours 

Responses

ms_unicorn

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

7 years ago

Hello, EKennedy!

Thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experience at one of our stores. We always expect our reps to explain the terms and conditions for all our rate plans so there are no surprises, and I will be happy to forward your comments. In the meantime, we would appreciate the opportunity to remedy the situation, so please click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I have had the same experience. Att has been god awful and is making me think Time Warner was not so bad

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I am sorry to hear that.

My situation was so unbelievable that I did a bit of research and I have found many other posts in various places about store sales persons doing the exact same thing and then AT&T taking so long to look into it that people just get worn down and give up - or the final word is that you have no legal legs to stand on because you "agreed" to a contract, i.e., you ended up signing something that wasn't what you thought or were told.

I would encourage you to post and tweet about your issue until it is resolved.

It seems like customer loyalty goes out the window.

I have a very professional AT&T person helping me now, but it's been three weeks since I was promised a call from the Area Manager.  THREE WEEKS after THREE MONTHS.

I have held off going to Twitter and Social Media to vent about this, but if this doesn't get resolved soon, I think I have a responsibility to warm people.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.4K Messages

6 years ago

I assume this happens infrequently. and it isn't just AT&T. A friend of mine got the exact same sales pitch at Verizon on Friday. I tried to gently tell her to expect a big bill as iPhones and iPads are never free. But we hear what we want to hear sometimes.

All I can say is if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. At that point you walk away or ask for a manager.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Exact thing happened to me!!  Now what?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.4K Messages

5 years ago

Your current phones are on Next installment payments.  Sell the phones and pay off the installments.  Then buy a phone you can afford.

As you can see by the post, this plan is 2 years (plus) old.  By now customers should be familiar with the purchase plan, or should ask questions. All customers have to buy their own phones.  It will not change your service cost, but will increase your bill. 

Changes and and additons to your plan are on the sales slip you signed, you get a text and an email notification of the changes to your bill.  

That is 3 chances to correct the problem by returning the phones before the 14 days is up.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

They did the same thing to my grandmother she had insurance on her phone and the phone broke when she went in to replace it the sales rep told her it was a crappy made in China phone and it wasn't worth fixing it and instead they would give a new phone and tablet for absoulutley free... Obviously they charged her monthly on next for both luckily I called them up and got them to take the charges for the tablet off but she still has to pay for the phone...unfortunate most carriers pull the wool over your eyes and tell you it is free because technically speaking it is free on the day you get a.K.a no down payment they usually "accidentally" forget to mention they are going to charge you monthly my advice is read the paperwork you are signing it would have told you in this case that they were going to be charging you x amount for the duration of 30 months anyways as far as to fix your current problem call up the service cancellation line and.tell them you are seriously considering cancelling with att because of this and they will work it out with you ,
Good Luck
David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

Free and no money down/nothing owed today are two totally different things. As always everyone walks out of the store with paperwork and a receipt so regardless of what a rep says, there is in writing details of any transaction. There is a receipt with every order. The receipts will mention the installment agreement clearly. For example:

index.jpg

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Sorry to hear of another person.
As to your advice, yes, I tried that.
It took 3 months of phone calls and getting bounced around. I kept records and I spent 13hrs on the phone (and on hold) with various people. All promises to fix it all fell flat. I took my case all the way up to the Area Manager for Atlanta who took ages to get back to me each and every step along the way. When I took the phones and iPad back to the store (as he instructed me to do) to turn them in, the store refused to take them because there was some very minor marks on the iPad and also because one of them was an insurance replacement for the original one we were given at the store. Even though it was the exact same model.
I eventually got it resolved, but the same thing happened to some other folks I recommended go to this store and talk to Chanel. They couldn't get it resolved. AT&T did replace the manager, but Chanel was still working there the last time I walked by the store!
I've left AT&T - after being with them all the way back to Cingulair in the early 90's. Next month, when our contract is up, I'm taking our business account away from AT&T

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

On your 3 chances:

1) The payment plan was approximately $650 per phone. But the phones they gave me were not the latest models and were selling on eBay etc for $150. So that didn't work.

2) The sales slip I signed? Have you ever done this process? They scroll down through pages of stuff to the signature section! You don't get to read it. (And the paper version she folded up and stuffed in the bottom of the bag. She actually said to me, "That's just all the legal garbage, you don't need to read it. It's just the same as what I've told you." (I'll never fall for that again).

3) I got no email or text notification about the changes to my bill. None. Trust me, this store and Chanel (employee) knew what they were doing. So, that wouldn't work.
When you're getting conned, the other person has thought it through.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Sorry to hear that. 

Where did this happen to you (Which state and city).

You can probably put this together from my other responses.

1) Call AT&T Customer Service and tell them what happened and that you are canceling the service if they don't fix it. When you get the run around ask for the number of whoever it is that oversees the store (area mananger).

2) Go back to the store with your devices and ask to speak to the manager. Make a fuss of it in the store if they give you the run-around.  They'll offer to see what they can do to lower your bill, but it won't be much.  Don't be afraid to talk loudly and tell them that if you have to you'll come every day and stand outside the door and tell people what happened to you.  If you can, Just leave your devices with them, but take the SIM cards out, and tell them to cancel

3) Keep going until you get a hold of the area manager.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.4K Messages

5 years ago

EKennedy wrote:
On your 3 chances:

1) The payment plan was approximately $650 per phone. But the phones they gave me were not the latest models and were selling on eBay etc for $150. So that didn't work.

2) The sales slip I signed? Have you ever done this process? They scroll down through pages of stuff to the signature section! You don't get to read it. (And the paper version she folded up and stuffed in the bottom of the bag. She actually said to me, "That's just all the legal garbage, you don't need to read it. It's just the same as what I've told you." (I'll never fall for that again).  .....I must be the only one then.  I stood in the store and scrolled through the entire contract on the tablet, then checked the printed receipt before I left the store.  You have every right to read it, you should read it.   I happen to read very fast.

3) I got no email or text notification about the changes to my bill. None. Trust me, this store and Chanel (employee) knew what they were doing. So, that wouldn't work.
When you're getting conned, the other person has thought it through.

........I got a text and an email when all I did was add a phone I bought on eBay.  

I wish I saved all my notices, by text and email.  We have had posts from customers who received and read the notices and had time to return their tablet or phone.  

David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

It does not matter what they said about the receipt that doesn't stop you from actually checking it. You walked out of the store with the paperwork and failed to read it. It contained every piece of information and all the details of the transaction. You got a receipt just like the one I did, the one I posted.

I am not defending anything the store reps said or did but the fact remains, you did not leave that store without the paperwork and receipt. It was in your possession and neglecting to dot your Is and cross your Ts by actually reading that paperwork within the 14-day return period is no one's fault but your own. Sales tactics are sales tactics. The information inside the displays clearly indicates what Next is all about. No one is given anything for free in this world. The fine print is everything and you had that in your possession.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This is crazy! i feel like you guys are reading my mind or went to same AT&T store i went to....in lenexa ks?!

I was shopping around with my daughter for new phones and new service. We went to 7 places and the guy at at&t was so knowledgable and kind, and the deal seemed great!

We got daughter an iphone 6s, for $16.87 a month for 28 months! long time, but good monthly cost. I got a new Samsung galaxy 4g lte. I paid $200 upfront for ...something...my phone i guess. So $50/month for 5g's of shared data (now i told him I am not phone savvy and have always used Virgin prepaid $45/mo with unlimited everything) maybe i should not have told him i was naive...but I am

Then $25/mo for each phone. So, about $100 month for both of us. pretty decent. "Free tablets because you are purchasing new phones!" how could i pass that up? did not tell me they count towards the 5g of data, they have "activation charges". He did say $10 month extra to use them...total! So i sold one to a friend to recoup some of my losses!

Bad idea! It was a dead tablet new in a box. so i thought she would connect it to her phone plan or her wifi at home....NO! it becomes part of your plan, uses data if you are away from home, and is under contract for 2 years! oops....he left that part out!

Did not mention the "activation fees". I got my bill about 3 weeks later.....$315!!! all these activation fees, additional whatever fees, went over the 5g's of data....$15 each g after you go over...etc.

Customer service explained all the charges and told me to go back to the store and get the fees refunded since i wasnt told about them. So guess what the store manager says? Call customer service...I can't waive any fees! Even though your salesperson lied...and "ommitted many details??"

i wish i had recorded our initial conversation! I sugguest that to everyone!!

"do you think we would give away free tablets"? the manager laughed! "thats how we make money"! I said "yes, companies give away free promotions all the time to get your business"

I told the mgr. i am a single mom, and would never have agreed to pay $200 and have my first bill be over $300!! never!

So am I stuck with this crap? i dont know. I want to keep the Iphone and pay $16.87 a month for it. But the rest of it? i will gladly take it all back, cancel the service and go back to pre-paid Virgin or someone. I never got a copy of what i "signed". i used my finger to sign an electronic device, and did not ask to read tons of pages...but should have. We had been at the store for over 2 hours while he attempted to release me from Virgin and transfer our contacts and photos. We had to leave and come back because we had errands to do.

I am in a nightmare....i dont have $315 dollars and dont want to have our service disconnected which is what customer service said will happen if i dont pay

what should I do???

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I left AT&T a few weeks back and went with a competitor.   I spoke with a win back rep yesterday and decided to go back with them.   Well that was. A huge mistake.    The rep on the phone told me to pay off balance on old phone bring it in to the store and they would give me a trade in value.   I asked the value and they told me 689.00.  I said wait that makes no sense I'm going to pay off 300 and your going to give me 689.0@ credit , how is that possible.  She said that's how they do it full value.  She was on speaker phone and my friend asked her again and she said same thing.   Well I went to the store and they offered me 89.00 for the phone.     Talk about bait and switch.......   after 1.5 hours on the phone and 4 transfers later they said all they could do is open a case.      I have the case number and they are going to pull the call and hear exactly what that rep told me.  Not once or twice but 3 times.    Let's see if the company owns up to this error and delivers what the rep told me.    

Get started...

Ask a new question