Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
A

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Feb 20, 2020 9:17 PM

Lied to by AT&T store representative, unwarranted bill from stolen phone, account closed - WARNING

In August of 2019 I went to my city's only AT&T store to add international calling to my plan. I specifically asked the representative if I can call France and how much it would be per month and he told me $5/ month extra (since I already have the unlimited plan, I thought okay). My device with this new international plan was stolen and in November 2019 the thief made international calls to Australia which made my bill skyrocket to over $400. I went to my same AT&T store (where the employee who told me international calling was $5 was fired) and had another AT&T employee tell me I can talk to the Customer Loyalty department, explain my situation, and get the charged removed. However, when I called and explained my situation to the first representative, I was told since I had "international calling" on my plan, the calls were considered valid and that I would have to pay the phone bill for calls I did not make. In addition, I was told that "maybe the international department from AT&T could give me a credit or partial credit." I was transferred 5 times and was patient each time until I lost patience since AT&T's customer representatives were not helping me and were just having me repeat my story many times before transferring me to new representatives.

Fast forward to today, February 20. AT&T closed my account since I still can't pay my complete phone bill due to this incident. I had been making partial payments when I did get paid and yet my account was closed regardless.

I wrote this post to warn others to think twice about joining AT&T because they will come after you for money even if your phone was stolen and used. My story shows that AT&T customer service doesn't care about my situation nor the fact that I had been a loyal customer up to this point.

P.S. - I was on the military discount program and had to have international calling on my plan. However AT&T really screwed me over and once I can finish paying this phone bill, then I am completely done with AT&T forever.

Responses

mobilemax

Employee

• 

796 Messages

8 months ago

Hello,

Didn't specify if this store was a retailer, authorized user or corporate. Seems odd the employee was gone that quickly. With any carrier plan, you can review full disclosure online to verify the right information. In this case the World Connect plan is outlined on Att.com/international and clearly shows $5/mo for discounted international calls.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

4 Messages

@mobilemax AT&T retail store. Who knows, maybe the employee had been there a year and left soon afterwards? I don't know the full story. The fact remains, AT&T told me "international calling would be included for $5 extra." Not that "$5 means you have discounted international calls." Major difference!

Still doesn't help me since AT&T closed my account and I have another $400 to pay off my bill

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.1K Messages

8 months ago

specifically asked the representative if I can call France and how much it would be per month and he told me $5/ month extra

Which is exactly true. You asked how much per month and were told the correct price of $5. You assumed that meant unlimited calls to France at no additional charge; it's not what you were told. And no where did you ask about Australia, which is the country relevant to this story.

Did you report your phone stolen? If so, it would have been deactivated and no one could have called anywhere, let alone Australia.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

@MicCheck Why would I pay $5 just to get discounted phone calls to France? Doesn’t make sense financially.

Of course I didn’t ask about Australia because I wasn’t the one calling Australia. I did report my phone stolen but it was too late... ie after the calls were made. AT&T didn’t help at all afterwards

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.1K Messages

@Alicanto Calls to France are $.22 per minute (to cell phones; less to landlines) with the World Connect Value plan (the $5 one). Calls to France are $3 per minute without an international plan. If you plan on talking more than 2 minutes per month, it makes perfect sense financially!

Your misunderstanding about that is irrelevant, since France is not the country that was called.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

@MicCheck It makes no sense financially because I talked to the AT&T representative in person and was told by him that $5 will allow me to call France. I was NOT told it was at a discounted rate. Hence the misinformation.

You are not even providing helpful feedback nor are you an AT&T representative nor can you credit me for the calls. Why bother commenting?

The calls were considered valid to Australia even though my phone was stolen because I had the $5 World Connect Plan. So when I explained that to AT&T, they did not credit the money back to me nor remove the charges.

(edited)

Get started...

Ask a new question