Help for account, billing & more
P

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Dec 16, 2020 2:00 AM

LIED AND REFUSED TO HONOR THEIR AGREEMENT!

I called AT&T on November 2, 2020 asking about an upgrade. My last phone was almost 3 years old and I paid it out right. 

I explained to the customer service rep that I was relocating to London, England in January 2021 and I wanted to be able to pay the phone off. She mentioned the 30 months at $10 per month, which I told her nope won’t work, we are moving permanently for my husband’s work, would be a least 5 years. I need the phone paid for and unlocked. She said no problem let me see what I can do. No after almost 2 hours of hold times and talking ( the rep was very nice) she said I could have the iPhone 11 in black or white at $50 sales tax today and $299.99 on my December 2nd bill. I said that sound great. I had her on speaker and look at my husband for confirmation for the go ahead and asked for his phone, because lord knows I don’t trust these companies ( and rightfully so). I proceeded to ask her “ so just to confirm, I will pay $50 in sales tax today and $299.99 on my next bill? Correct?” She said “ yes that’s correct” .

okay she took my payment sent the email we hung up. When I looked at the email to accept the terms and conditions, It did not reflect what we spoke about over the phone. It showed the month to month payment. Of course I did not accept  it and I called again... spoke with another lady explained the whole situation again.... she basically said that they couldn’t change what the “ order summary“ states, but whatever was agreed-upon between myself and the agent that set up the promotional deal but still be in effect and then I was OK to go ahead and agree to the terms and conditions. I said well that makes me nervous is there anyway you can mark in my account that I’ve called you and you’ve discussed this with me she said yes she’ll make a note to my account and she gave me a reference number. 

I went ahead I got the phone...

fast forward: 

I’m on an installment plan, go figure. Called today, explained I have video of the conversation, they even read off the notes in my account of when I called back. Talked to 2 people the second person being a “ supervisor“ .nothing. They basically wanted me too stay on an installment plan while I am living in England and they’ll give me credit back. Huh? I don’t need credit back if I’m not here nor using an at&t account! I had to pay $600 for the phone to get it unlocked... yup not happy. I have had AT&T since Cingular and AT&T merged. I was 15 years old, so 16 years maybe? Yup not a happy camper...

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

2 y ago

Unbelievable.   🤦🏼‍♀️

There is no way AT&T, or any other carrier is going to sell you a phone super cheap knowing that you're going to use service for one month then take the phone that you got at a deep discount and leave the country.

You can pay off the phone anytime you want, and then submit the unlock request. You're going to have to do that anyway.

No sympathy.  You have to pay for the stuff you buy.  There is no such thing as free phones anymore. Not one single carrier would let you pull this off. 

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

I did pay it off and get it unlocked today, but I don’t know how it works 🤷‍♀️. Like I mentioned, I never bothered with the upgrades before. I had a 8plus for years that I loved, but I just paid cash for it and went. I never did these monthly payments. My point it’s if they or any other carriers will let me it’s they freaking told me this 2 times in one day and assured I was getting a phone at this price. I figured you I got it cheaper because I was paying it off quickly 🤷‍♀️. 
they should still honor what they sold me.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

2 y ago

The only agreement you received was the one that was sent to you by email after you hung up the phone. There is no way AT&T was going to let you walk off with $1,000 phone for $300 and paying for only one month service.

Back in the old days if you got a discount on a phone you were subject to an early termination fee of up to $325. That's one phones only cost $325.

To put it very bluntly, because I'm sorry that's the sort of person I am:  No one was going to give you a deal on a phone. While it was nice of you to be honest about you leaving the country, it wouldn't have made any difference. If you had said nothing you still would wind up paying the full value of the phone because any deal they offered you was going to have a penalty on the back end or the remainder of installments at the back end.   It's always been this way.   The only difference is that now you can pay off your phone and unlock it before you terminate service. In the old days you had to cancel first and your phone would be unusable for a couple of weeks before you could get it unlocked. 

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

I’m not offended, I’m okay with straight talk. I think that’s why I’m so (Edited per community guidelines) right now is because I have gotten the run around. ... so Okay I get it unreasonable to think I was getting a good deal on a phone, but what do you mean only one month of service? We have had AT&T for years.. 3 phones and internet our bill is always $360 plus ( b/c of my husband’s work stuff sometimes international calls come in ect.)

so it wasn’t like I was starting a new phone line for a month just to get the phone.  

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

2 y ago

You said you were leaving the country in January of 2021. You purchased a new phone from AT&T in December of 2020. In order to recoup the cost of a phone deal AT&T needs to keep you as a customer for 30 months. AT&T makes profit off of service, any deal on a phone is a lost leader.

There is no carrier in the United States that is going to give you a phone on a special deal without there being something in it for them. Every single one of them has switched to installments back in 2014.  

I'm sure you have heard of Straight Talk and other carriers bragging that they are "no contract", it is nothing more than advertising spin, because they also will sell you a phone on installments for up to 24- 36 months.  And if you cancel you still have to pay off the installments. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.