Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Need help understanding your bill?
I

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, March 19th, 2020 2:53 PM

Is there an activation fee on Unlimited Plus, when adding extra lines (BYOD)?

I have Unlimited Plus with 4 lines presently, however I may need more tether data given my work situation. So I thought to add another phone (or two) for tethering (used unlocked att phones that can tether are kind of cheap).

I understand it's $20 + fees monthly for each line, up to 10 lines total on the Unlimited Plus plan, and that all phones are treated the same, with 10 GB of tether and unlimited phone data, but if you go over 22 GB the speed may be reduced. On my bill, it works out to around $25 per line.

However, I don't know if I'll face an activation fee to BYOD a new line. I noticed some other posts, but I wasn't clear if they applied to my situation (old posts, or relating to a different plan - or maybe I didn't see the answer). If the answer is in another post, please just indicate which one, thank you!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

ATT charges a activation fee on any NEW line. Also since that is a old grandfathered plan they may not allow you to add a line. Its tricky with old plans. You may also want to check out the new plans.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

Yes, any new line will pay an activation fee. Also, you are on an old plan so it is possible adding new lines to that plan won’t be allowed. A better option might be to switch to the Unlimited Elite plan. Each line gets 30GB of hotspot.

• 

3 Messages

I didn't realize I was on an old plan. The 30GB tether is obviously better. Regarding overall data,

Unlimited Elite's info says "After 100GB, we may temporarily slow data speeds if the network is busy."

My Unlimited Plus plan says "After 22GB, we may temporarily slow data speeds if the network is busy."

So it sounds like there's nothing to lose leaving the old plan. Is there any reason you can think of to stay with the old Unlimited Plus that I'm on? (the paperless billing credit looks better too, $10 per line vs $10 for the account)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

Four lines on Elite might cost you more than what you are paying now but other than that, no reason not to switch.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

4 years ago

If you have a business t i n number, business Elite offers a hundred gigs of tethering per line. I can't say whether it is more expensive than your existing plan. You have to call or chat
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.