Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
L

• 

1 Message

Thu, Apr 8, 2021 8:08 PM

Is there a way to get a better customer service experience to resolve billing issues? Have been mislead, disconnected, mischarged for mont

I have been dealing with billing issues with AT&T for what will shortly be 5 months. First AT&T paid no regard to the fact that I had a court order stating hat wireless services for my phone number and billing responsiblity was supposed to be TRANSFERRED, however, they let my exhusband terminate the line and maintain control of the line. After over 20 HOURS of trying to get somebody at AT&T to help me get my number back when he terminated the services and refused to give me access to the number, I finally made progress after likely a dozen phone calls, emails, chats, visits to store. AT&T refused to honor the loyalty discount provided to my ex, refused to honor the autopay/paperless billing discount, refused to honor the same price that was being paid. I was being charged for a share plan for a single line, and I inquired multiple times about why his monthly service bill is FIFTY dollars less than mine. I contacted the loayaty department and understood that I would receive the loyalty discount. I am so fed up because that did not happen. In March, I was on hold then on a chat after mutliple attempts to get some resolution. After being on hold then disconnected from a chat then connected, it took over an HOUR to come to NO resolution other than a temporary one. I was suffering awful joint pain and was coming down with very serious health issues. I repeatedly asked the representative if he could email me or I could get a direct call number back as I was no longer able to hold my phone. A temporary Band-Aid was put on the situation after over an hour. Today, I spent TWO HOURS on a chat after I attempting to address this again. I still have little resolution. I am now supposed to call the loyalty people. After complaining about being charged a group rate, I was offered the option of a lesser plan for less money----still does not explain why I was transferred to a group plan in the first place and neither does AT&T's explanation that it allows me to add additional lines. I had to walk through the math with the rep that even with two lines rather than one, I would still be paying more. I still have little clarity how one person is being charged $50 more for the exact same service and AT&T sees nothing wrong with that even when I told them about the financial hardships that I am facing. I do not want to spend another HOUR to talk with the loyalty people only to find my bill not straightened out next billing period as previously happened. 

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

83.5K Messages

9 d ago

@lawick 

I've gone through a divorce and I know how difficult it can be, so I sympathize. But there are a few things that you have incorrect.

1.    The owner of the account is your husband and with very few exceptions, Most states have no provision for forcing the transfer of phone numbers in the case of a divorce.   Some states do in cases of abuse.  But as you indicate, the order is against your husband, not AT&T, to continue your phone services or transfer them.  Since your husband breached that particular agreement it is he who is in default of the agreement and it is he who you have to pursue for a remedy, not AT&T.  

Secondly you wrote "AT&T refused to honor the loyalty discount provided to my ex, refused to honor the autopay/paperless billing discount, refused to honor the same price that was being paid"   

Correct, they won't.   And you are not eligible for your ex-husband's loyalty discount, you have to sign up for your own auto-pay and paperless billing on your own new account , and the price that you will get is the one that is listed online for a single line account, (assuming that you are the only phone line) 

When you take over a phone number and create your own account you cannot keep the old plan, or it's privileges.  You have to choose from the plans that currently exist on AT&T website.   

3.   Every single one of AT&T postpaid plans is shared, even if there is only one device using the service. The sharing is potential, not actual. And I should expand that to say that applies to every carriers postpaid plans. Only plans that are individual are prepaid.

It does seem that AT&T is able to explain to you how their service works. If that is not going to work for you then feel free to pay off your phones, which you can do in your online account under manage installments.   You can then unlock your phones (they are locked by default) and take them to another carrier. You should be aware that most other carriers have very similar price structures. And post paid plans are all structured as SHARED, even if you only have one line.

Keep in mind that the stress you are going through is related to the divorce, and the Ex, but that does not mean that AT&T is giving you wrong information. So far it sounds like they have given you correct information, you just don't like what you're hearing.

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.6K Messages

8 d ago

You have a new account, why would you expect a "loyalty" discount? You should be eligible for the paperless/autopay discounts if you've signed up for both. It's possible they won't be on the first bill you get. 

If your ex has a grandfathered plan, it's possible you aren't on the same plan, which is one reason for the price discrepancy. But it seems you also know that he's getting discounts you don't qualify for, so you know exactly why you pay more than he does.

As mentioned, you ex is the bad guy here, not AT&T. Don't let your anger (which sounds very justified) at him cloud your dealing with AT&T. All plans offered are online and you can see the pricing of all of them for just one line and determine what is best. Keep in mind that they do advertise those with the autopay/paperless discount, so you have to make sure you take that into account. 

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question