Need help understanding your bill?
LilGuyvsGiant's profile

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

Wednesday, January 31st, 2018 11:37 AM

Is AT&T over-billing you for texts too?

Has anyone else noticed a regular pattern of over-billing for text messages?

I routinely purchase a text message package.  For, at least, the last six months (as much as I am able to get history for), I believe I have been regularly over-billed for use.  I, unquestionably, have been for the last four months.  

Single messages (under 160 characters) are being counted as two, three, or four messages.  This is happening randomly - from different senders, on different carriers, and at various times - but always with incoming messages.

It's actually easy to spot; but probably is getting overlooked by millions of customers. Check your account history.  Are there multiple, incoming messages at the EXACT same time?  If so, you may want to dig a little deeper.  While it may be a message over 160 characters; my experience proves it to rarely be so.  99 percent of these occurrences, in my account history, are instances of one, singular message being charged multiple times.

If you believe this is, also, happening to you; you might try your luck with AT&T "customer service," but should be prepared for disappointment.  Despite a couple hours on the phone, and dozens of emails, this situation is continuing.  I have received woefully little help from AT&T representatives.  In fact, I keep getting "blown off" or shuffled around.

You might save yourself time, frustration, and the maddening indifference of AT&T.  File a report with the Better Business Bureau and your states Consumer Fraud Protection Division. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Don’t expect a huge response as very few customers still buy text packages or pay by the text. Most plans include unlimited texting so if your observations are true, most won’t care. Seems like your claim would be easy to prove, though. How about posting your evidence?

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

6 years ago

Don't need, nor expect response. Would settle for only paying for what I use.

I realize my communication preferences are antiquated. However, services offered should be as advertised; without requiring a monthly reconciliation. Not to mention:  Despite months of attempting to rectify the situation with AT&T, I am yet to have resolution - or much hope of any. And, I am skeptical of my situation being unique.

Below, are indicative samples taken from account history. In quotes, is the actual message being over billed. 

11.png“Ok 😞 I wasn’t sure I was going to even make it this week caught the cold Friday :(“

22.png“Can you even get Chicken McNuggets where you’re at? Do they even have McDonald’s where you’re at? If so you could probably get a mc, moose, mc, salmon, mc, polar bear. Something like that anyways. :)”

33.png“Sorry I missed the green headlamp text.. it’s not mine! What ya up to this evenin?”

3 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Well, all of those are $0 charges so it could be just a usage log anomaly. Do you have any examples of multiple messages and being charged? Does your text message totals count those as separate messages? In any event, I suggest you contact the advanced support team by sending a private message to @ATTMobilityCare.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

You might also want to look at current plans.  If you’re paying for a limited text pack, you’re probably over paying for the whole plan.

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

6 years ago

It absolutely is a log anomaly; and ALWAYS to my disadvantage.  The $0.00 "charge" is irrelevant; as the extra logged message counts against my balance. While nominal, the 5-30 "errors" per month add up; and I am beyond suspicious.  

There are instances of messages greater than 160 characters on my account.  Most appear with a few seconds differential between "pages" of the message.  Occasionally, they do appear at exact times (or with minimal difference); but that is rare - and I have excluded those instances from my reconciliations. 

As to AT&TMobilityCares:  I have been hashing this out with them for nearly two months now.  I am, still, trying to reach a resolution.  However, between being told several times that my situation "has been resolved" (without actually having been), and repeated emails asking for the same information that I've provided previously (multiple times); my faith is not high.

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the advice, but this does not apply to my situation.

I am on Pre-Paid with an added text message package.  I average 15-20 minutes of talk time, 150-250 SMS, and 0 data per month; so this is far-and-away the most economical option.

I am, by no means, a big customer - but still a customer.  The dollar, or two, that magically evaporates from my account each month may seem trivial; but in context, it increases my cost by approximately 15% per year.  

If the corporate Goliath is going to bleed me for nickels, I am going to sling my rocks.

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

6 years ago

FINALLY got real assistance; but only after filing complaint with FCC.  If you're experience similar problems, head here:  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.