Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sat, Jul 5, 2014 4:15 PM

iPhone Question

I have heard that if I buy a used iPhone from GameStop and just put my Sim Card in it, I will not be charged for Data and will keep the same plan charges I have. Before I purchase one, is this true?

Responses

ShaunnieDarko

Employee

• 

156 Messages

7 years ago

It going to depend a lot on what kind of plan you are on. If you are already on a new mobile share value plan it won't really effect your plan because you already have data included with your plan. If you currently do no have any data at all on one of the older plans the network will detect that you are using an iPhone. If you are on a go phone plan your plan will stay the same data just won't work. Hopefully this helps!
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 years ago

@AlexVanderspek wrote:

I have heard that if I buy a used iPhone from GameStop and just put my Sim Card in it, I will not be charged for Data and will keep the same plan charges I have. Before I purchase one, is this true?

If you do not have a smartphone now and you put that SIM card into a smartphone, you can expect that your bill will go up.

If you are on a Mobile Share plan, the cost for a basic phone is different from teh cost of a smartphone (IIRC), so your rates would change accordingly.  The Mobile Share plan would already have data service, so that shouldn't be an issue.  If you re on an older, grandfathered, Individual or Family Talk plan, then if you are switching from a basic phone to a smart phone, AT&T will detect that and automatically add a data plan to your account too.  The data plan added may not be the best plan for your usage, so you may experience some expensive overage charges if you are not careful there.

In general, if you are using a smartphone on AT&T, you will pay more than if you are using a basic phone.  I am not certain about the go-phone options, but you may be able to use a smartphone on a go-phone plan without a data option.  You would need to check that section for clarifications there.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Get started...

Ask a new question