For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Michdee's profile

10 Messages

Friday, February 2nd, 2024 5:56 AM

International calls

Hello everyone. I got a huge bill from att 800usd for an international call for 155mins. I didn't make this call and I always do facetime with my friends ever since. I was shocked when last month they billed me $800! I called them and the representative told me if i facetime someone from another country and my phone is not in airplane mode they will charge me for this international phone call.. they wont even waive the bill for me what will i do?? i cant pay this ridiculous amount. They also told me they will add another one for next billing another 800 which is $1600 in total for 6hrs international call 

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

3 months ago

Sounds like you made an AT&T video call (so using minutes) instead of facetime (which uses data). Yes it is highly suggested to use airplane mode, only permitting WiFi, to make sure you don't accidentally use the wrong option resulting in a high bill like this.

https://www.att.com/features/video-calling/

All they can do over the phone is verify there was an international call at that time. If it didn't go through as a call, they wouldn't have record of it. At best you could try a BBB complaint to send this to upper management to get contacted back from their Office of the President (usually within a few business days. Just a shot as there is no guarantee since AT&T isn't responsible for if you accidently tapped the wrong option or if an app you used (that isn't built/maintained by AT&T) had an issue or didn't work as expected.

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

3 months ago

You made the call. Why shouldn’t you have to pay for valid charges? 

10 Messages

3 months ago

It was a "FACETIME" call? how is that a phone call? I've been doing this for years since my job is mostly traveling and they just charged me now?

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

3 months ago

You obviously connect to their network or they wouldn’t have billed you. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.