Need help understanding your bill?
divB's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, November 21st, 2012 9:13 AM

Identification of foreign incoming calls/texts, google Voice, ...

Hi,

I am in an AT&T family plan where I have everything included (to my knowledge) except foreign calls. Even incoming foreign calls get billed which is very bad an I am not familiar with (this is not the case in Europe where I am from).

My question is now: How do these incoming calls (and also SMS) get billed? Solely based on the caller ID or based on routing information?

There is for example Google Voice: I get my own (virtual) US number and if someone calls it, it is forwarded to my phone. However, google will rewrite the caller ID so my phone displays the original number from Europe rather than googles number. What will be billed? The foreign number (caller ID) or googles local number (which I don't see?)

A similar thing is true for the Android App "MobileVOIP" which allows "Call Back": I enter the number which is transmitted via Internet to MobileVOIP. Short time later I receive a call from MobileVOIP which establishes the call to the destimation then. Also here, MobileVOIP modifies the caller ID and rewrites it to the number I intended to call originally. What is billed now?

This is so unclear to me 😞
 Can anyone clarify that?

Thanks,

divB

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

If you call Europe it is on your dime. If someone calls you from Europe it is on their dime. As for text messages, you can be charged extra sending to someone in Europe (yahoo or facebook messaging gets around that), but you do not get charged if they text you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

I'm as sure as possible for a non-employee. Maybe call 611 to check.

Official Solution

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

Something's wrong. Incoming foreign calls and texts should not be billed extra to you. It is considered a regular incoming call or text for the recipient.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Hi

Thanks, are you really sure?

I am pretty sure the guy at att store said that also incoming calls are billed and I think I had something on my bill. Also a friend on mine told me that this would be common in the US.

(remember, I'm in the family plan). I'm in California if this makes a difference...

Thanks again
Div

Scholar

• 

190 Messages

11 years ago

International SMS received is billed per message domestic rate, unless you have a messaging plan, then it will use your allotment.

International calls received are billed to your domestic minutes unless you are over your plan limit.

Yes, you can accept collect calls on a cellphone and it's billed $10 fee plus airtime.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

[quote]Yes, you can accept collect calls on a cellphone and it's billed $10 fee plus airtime.[/quote]

What do you mean by that? What are "collect calls"?

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

AT&T Offers Collect Calls to Wireless Customers in the U.S. AT&T* announced that customers can now make collect calls to mobile phones by dialing 1-800-CALL-ATT® (1-800-225-5288), to access a new service called AT&T Collect to Wireless. AT&T is the first major telecommunications provider to expand its collect calling services to reach wireless customers in the U.S. http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=26669
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.