AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
Need help understanding your bill?
CONNERMK1's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Dec 2, 2018 8:15 PM

How will AT&T accept payment if I switch carriers after account is closed for past-dues?

About 2 months ago, I finally paid off my phone and looked forward to a smaller monthly bill. My bill, however, has not changed significantly, if at all. While paying off my cell, I would pay 80-100 monthly and 25 of that went towards my cell, the rest was service. I was making lots of money at the time and thought nothing of the outrageous prices I was actually paying. Around the time I paid off my phone though, I was laid off and had to allocate funds appropriately. I've tried several times to review my monthly bill and cannot understand why I am paying such a large amount for ONE line. I saw cricket offers the SAME EXACT PLAN for FOUR LINES AND THE SAME PRICE!! Needless to say I am being taken advantage of in a huge way and maybe my lack of attention every month is to blame. I have not made a payment in 2 months because I can stretch that money so much further to settle other bills. I thought my service would be canceled after the first non-payment, at which point I planned to switch to one of the many new, cheaper carriers that have become available. But my bill continues to stack up and service is still intact. I was willing to pay half of the due amount and then manually cancel my plan and deal with the rest later, and this took A LOT for me to agree to, but unless I pay the full amount, they claim my service will be canceled anyways, so I'm holding onto that money for now.

Bottom line, 3 months from now, when I'm back to work and much happier with a different carrier (GOOGLE FI, Cricket, anything but this company trying to squeeze all the pennies out of it's loyal customers until it inevitably ceases to exist) and if I still haven't payed the past-dues, what actions will AT&T take?

I cannot stress enough that I am not trying to dodge a bill and never had any intention of not paying back what I owed, mad as I am, but I will not being doing so until it is not such a hit on what unfortunately have become my very precious savings.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

102.1K Messages

4 years ago

Since your phone was paid off, you would only owe 2 months of bills.  (Which would have been suspended about 4 days after non payment).  Service being “intact” is highly unlikely.   

If your phone payment was $25, that’s exactly what your bill would have gone down.  

As for cost.

Cricket is 100% owned by ATT and it’s prepaid service and ATT’s are pretty much the same.  What’s different is ATT will be prioritized before Cricket.  Att prepaid has a larger coverage area.  

Simply, you pay more to get more.  If you don’t need more that’s fine.  

https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans.html

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans?woo_campaign=SEM&woo_source=YahooGemini_PPC&woo_medium=keyword&woo_content=BND%20Cricket%20Wireless%20-%20EXM&woo_term=cricket&kid=kwd-296060603435&cid=343639031

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

60.9K Messages

4 years ago

Not paying your bill was the wrong decision. As you found, that does not stop you from being billed. After non-payment, service is first suspended. The account won’t be closed for several months, by then you will have run up a huge bill. You also can’t port your number to another carrier while past due. What ATT will eventually do if you don’t pay is turn your account over to collections and put a ding on your credit. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

My bill did NOT decrease and service is in FACT intact. As for the last bit, that's not surprising and none of this was meant as a threat, as if I'm actually dull enough to think they care if I stay or go, and obviously they know they're going to get their money money, same as they have every day since the mid 20th century. Cricket was just an example, GOOGLE FI is was I'm really interested in and Lord knows Google probably owns AT&T anyways. Along with Disney Land and the Pope.

The purpose of my post was to find out how long I can be stubborn before any serious action is taken, sandblaster kindly provided me with all the answers I needed.

ACE - Sage

• 

102.1K Messages

4 years ago

@CONNERMK1

I think this is an unusual case and should not be considered typical.  

Many, many posts and ATT policy support service suspension just days after missing due date.  No payment within 60 days and they send to collection.  If the computer missed you, that’s not at all typical.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.